www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 15th, 2019, 21:20   #1
HiaceTDI

Default Tdi in a hiace van??

Howdy y'all! I'm looking to do a tdi conversion to my 1992 Toyota hiace super custom 4wd, has anyone ever done a conversion to a hiace? I believe it will be possible using the 22r conversion kit from tdconversions.com as the G52 transmission in the hiace bellhousing matches the w56 of the old 22r powered Toyota pickups.
I've got a 2000 golf tdi manual transmission with 171000 on the car(was a sweet salvage pickup) I have the full car and will have the luxury of swapping most of the parts over.
The hiace is the 3l diesel model which makes it a little bit more streamlined in the conversion process, and I figure I'll be using the 2 key approach as I feel it'd be a ton more work to try wire all the vw harness to utilise both the Toyota ignition and guage cluster.
I've never done any kind of engine swap before and understand the herculean task before me, but I do have some mechanic knowledge and I guess it helps that my brother is an airplane mechanic and vw fan.
I'd like to keep the hiace guage cluster, but I understand it would be far simpler to use the tdi cluster instead.
I'm looking forward to reading all of the forum posts on the successful swaps and try to emulate that success as much as possible!
HiaceTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:52   #2
bbob203
Veteran Member

TDI(s): b5.5v
Fuel Economy: 38-42

I would recommend looking into making it a mechanical TDI also known as MTDI. This will simply the swap a good bit. You may even be able to find a diesel guage cluster from abroad which would make hooking up the tachometer a breeze. Even without it just requires a converter module. I had an MTDI it was the best TDI I owned.
bbob203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:59   #3
HiaceTDI

Are you able to do that with an alh? I've already got the full golf so I wouldn't be opposed to cha going the cluster out, it would just make integrating the Speedo a bit tougher I imagine

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old November 16th, 2019, 20:28   #4
evguy1

The dash really depends if its run from an engine ECU or older analog. If its analog and just looking for gauge inputs then its easy. I use the temp and oil senders out of the gas engine, stick them into the TDI and run the stock gauges. If its run from the ECU then I leave the ECU in place and again run the original senders to feed the ECU. Tach can be more challenging with an ECU.
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 21:28   #5
HiaceTDI

I believe the hiace speedo is driven via a gear and cable, not sure if there's a speed sender. The tach has a module that sends signal to the cluster and the other lights and indicators on the dash all have corresponding wires that I can splice into the vw harness

Old November 16th, 2019, 22:16   #6
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

What's wrong with the diesel engine that the HiAce already has?
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 22:43   #7
HiaceTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
What's wrong with the diesel engine that the HiAce already has?
The engine has a cracked head, and the L series diesel engines are notorious for head cracks. The engine was also rebuilt with cheap, questionable bottom end parts. I looked into buying a replacement engine, but these things are very hard to come by in Canada and are very expensive if you can(around 3500 to 5000 for a 3L) I've also been looking for another project car since I stopped rallying Corolla and I though doing a tdi swap would be a challenging project(although I might be eating those words in a few months!)
I picked up the hiace for 800 bucks running(albiet poorly) and got my tdi for 900 so I'm in it for 1700 CAD now and with the adapter kit from td conversions at 1400 I'm still below the cost of a replacement engine. I do expect the costs of the swap to soar as I go on but I'm looking forward to fabricating and figuring out the various custom parts I'll need. Plus, this will be the first hiace tdi that I'm aware of, which is pretty cool in its own right

Old November 17th, 2019, 01:45   #8
HiaceTDI

Im going to be posting my progress in this thread here:
https://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?46998-HiAce-TDI

Ill most likely be asking lots of questions here(hopefully ill be able to root out the answers here on the forums first before i go asking how to do every little thing)
Old November 19th, 2019, 12:40   #9
HiaceTDI

I'm curious to know what inputs I can delete from the ecu on the alh.
My goal is to use the stock cluster from the hiace and eliminate anything that isn't 100% necessary for the operation of the engine. I'll most likely be doing an egr delete as well.

Old November 21st, 2019, 06:33   #10
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Subscribed.....
Old November 21st, 2019, 07:07   #11
jmodge
Veteran Member

Interesting, I saw one of those vans for the first this summer in Northern Michigan. I heard the diesel as we were hiking to Lake Michigan for a swim. A gal from Texas was up here exploring our west coast with it. Right hand drive, never knew such a thing existed.
Old November 21st, 2019, 07:31   #12
HiaceTDI

It's a pretty cool vehicle for sure and definitely a unique vehicle choice for a tdi swap. The most convenient thing was the fact that the running gear on the vans were from the 2nd Gen 4runner so there is lots of conversion hardware for tdi swaps and drive train parts are more or less easier to come by. The downside is the cooling layout: the vans are cab-over-engine and use a viscous coupling clutch type fan. These couplings would eventually fail causing the system to overhead and the cylinder heads would crack. The Hilux surf would suffer the same problem with their 2LT turbo diesel engine. I figured a tdi would be a good choice as the power output is very similar to the 3L that came with my van(3L=90hp 133ftlbs torque tdi=90hp 155lbs torque)
My goal is to utilize the stock instrument cluster so I'm wondering what inputs are 100% necessary for running the engine and things I don't need. I'd like to use the stock ignition too so I would need to doable the immobilizer as well.

Old November 29th, 2019, 09:54   #13
HiaceTDI

I've got the golf tdi up on the rack and am starting to tear it sow to its engine and necessary swap components and had some questions: I'm going to start by labelling all the bits I'll need, but I'm not sure what's what under the hood and can't seem to find a workshop manual online.
I'll need to find the n75 valve determine what those vaccum valve things are on the back of the engine bay and other stuff.

Old November 29th, 2019, 18:39   #14
HiaceTDI

Spent a good amount of time disconnecting things and getting stuff labeled.now is the asv connector the one on top of the intake manifold, or is that the n75?

Old November 30th, 2019, 19:28   #15
HiaceTDI

I've got a question: why do some guys deleted the MAF sensor yet keep the map? I'm none too familiar with these engines but wouldnt it be better to keep them both?
Also put another post up on my build thread on Dorikaze:
https://www.dorikaze.net/showthread....649#post496649