www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old October 2nd, 2019, 08:19   #31
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
That's why I referred to it as a 'paradigm'. You go to the 'gas station'. My point is that we need to get out of that mindset. Instead of having a place to get fuel... put the 'fuel' at the places you park for other purposes. I've met new EV owners (mostly renters) that seemingly have that locked in their brain. I go to the gas station to get gas... I go to X to charge my car...

IMO having a specific place to charge your car like this former gas station is silly. Put the place to charge your car where you go to do other things. At a rest area, at a IHOP, at work, at the gym, at a movie theatre and at home.

I'm traveling from WA to NM. The hotel I chose has 6 HPWCs. I chose it for that reason....
One of our Y's has four charging stations next to it. Put in by the developer, not the Y. So, yes, you could plug in while working out. Although, I don't think I've ever noticed more than one car there. Location in the parking lot is also poorly laid out. All four are grouped together in a tight dead corner. Would have made more sense to put them in an island configuration in the middle of the lot.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 18:30   #32
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
IMO having a specific place to charge your car like this former gas station is silly. Put the place to charge your car where you go to do other things. At a rest area, at a IHOP, at work, at the gym, at a movie theatre and at home.
This is already happening. Since it's electrical, proliferation is easy. Liquid fuel requires special permitting, EPA/environmental considerations, fire marshal approval etc

EV charging? - run a cable from your meter to a charging box. Maybe a simple permit. Done.

My hospital already has these in the public parking lot.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 20:43   #33
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

A guy with a Leaf reported he was getting a chicken burrito while waiting, so they're getting food somewhere.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 22:13   #34
where2
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's why I referred to it as a 'paradigm'. You go to the 'gas station'. My point is that we need to get out of that mindset. Instead of having a place to get fuel... put the 'fuel' at the places you park for other purposes.
I totally understand the 'Paradigm' issue. If I have a slow Saturday afternoon, I'll go snag some L2 charge (30 miles per hour) in the parking lot at one of the local municipalities which currently offers free charging. This setup won't last forever...

In some areas, some stand alone dept stores like Kohls were installing EV chargers for customers. Certainly, my local mall has Tesla chargers, but the same mall has a Tesla store and a Tiffany & Co. I think the only charging connection they have that fits my e-Golf is a 120v wall outlet to use with my own charger.

With the new Rivian and electric F-150's on the way, Home Depot and Lowes better get with the program and toss some chargers in the parking lot where the ICE cars won't park.

The location part seems to be the challenge to 'paradigm' charging. If you put the chargers up front like handicapped spaces, ICE vehicles will invariably use them without batting an eye. If you put them out in the back lot, nobody wants to walk that far.
'04 Jetta_TDI_Wagon_GL 5spd (4 daily) Got Miles... 232k!
'90 Corrado_G60 Pkg_2 5spd (4 fun) Supercharged and half the fuel economy of a TDI!
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 22:39   #35
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

With the number of angry idiots out there, I'd rather park an EV (or anything nice) away from the masses. Some elderly gross woman in Colorado made the local news this week by severely keying a strangers model 3 in a high school parking lot. I'm sure that sort of thing isn't rare.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 13:31   #36
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
With the number of angry idiots out there, I'd rather park an EV (or anything nice) away from the masses. Some elderly gross woman in Colorado made the local news this week by severely keying a strangers model 3 in a high school parking lot. I'm sure that sort of thing isn't rare.
I've never understood the anger. I'm angry with ICE because the reality is it's a from of inter-generational theft and more than a little pathetic... what's to be angry about with EVs? Is it just change that makes people angry?

But the best way to reduce it is to make EVs the norm.

Last edited by nwdiver; October 5th, 2019 at 13:35.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 08:08   #37
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Quote:
I've never understood the anger. I'm angry with ICE because the reality is it's a from of inter-generational theft and more than a little pathetic... what's to be angry about with EVs? Is it just change that makes people angry?

But the best way to reduce it is to make EVs the norm.
She probably just got word of how her taxdollars are subsidising the costs of EV's for the wealthy.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 14:17   #38
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta SS View Post
She probably just got word of how her taxdollars are subsidising the costs of EV's for the wealthy.
More likely she caught a reflection of her hideous form in the paint, and couldn't handle it. Just an ugly person doing ugly things.
Old October 6th, 2019, 15:45   #39
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm angry with ICE because the reality is it's a from of inter-generational theft and more than a little pathetic...
Inter-generational theft, that's rich. Are telling me that "nothing" you do uses any more than the bare minimum resources needed for you to exist here? Future generations will use whatever resources that are available to them at the time just as we do. They may not even need oil in the future. What makes me angry is people who think they have the right to control other people's lives just because they think they know better. I don't go out of my way to use excess amounts of resources but I will use what I want to make my life as enjoyable and comfortable as I want without any concern for anyone's anger over inter-generational theft of resources.
Old October 6th, 2019, 15:49   #40
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Are telling me that "nothing" you do uses any more than the bare minimum resources needed for you to exist here?
Ah yes, this argument is just one small step away from the ever so logical argument of "Y0U wOulD kILl YouRseLF iF yOu rEAlLy cAreD abOUt tHe ENviRONmEnt!"

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 18:14   #41
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Not any more than my living a normal pleasant life is theft from future generations.
Old October 6th, 2019, 23:33   #42
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
normal pleasant life
Slaves used to be part of a normal pleasant life too, if you weren't salve.

"Normal" has little to do with morality.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 07:44   #43
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Can we, at a minimum, try to stay close to the topic?
Old October 7th, 2019, 08:04   #44
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Gas stations adding fast chargers is quite common in western europe. Though they generally aren't pulling the pumps just yet.
Old October 7th, 2019, 08:17   #45
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Yes please about staying on topic.

I see EV growth rate more promising in places like Western Europe, Japan, China and very specific areas of North America like densely populated cities in the NE and West Coast.

In the next few years and beyond, a second EV vehicle for, mostly city driving, might be a convenient/economical option for some households in North America. I am thinking of something like a used Kia Soul EV for no more than $15,000. You can charge it at home without much additional expense. Not much more additional preventive maintenance. No need to charge it during the day at a 'EV Charging Station', just every night at home and you are done
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote