www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 28th, 2019, 12:13   #1
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe
Default Gas Station Pulls Pumps And Adds EV Charging

He removed the pumps and tanks and then added EV charging stations.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/on-air...561472042.html
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 14:33   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Looked like they only had room for 4 cars there though. At 30 minutes each they won't get much business through there. 4 cars at 30 minutes each is 8 cars an hour x 24 hours is 192 cars a day at $7 a charge, for a total of $1344 a day, gross. It seems from looking them up they mostly do repairs and some fuel. Surprised I don't see any solar panels there to offset some usage.
Old September 29th, 2019, 05:40   #3
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Here's a write-up about the place.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/firs...-now-open.html
Old September 29th, 2019, 09:41   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Who wouldn't take $1 million or so to convert? I still don't see it ever being profitable at $7 a charge. Good intentions or not it doesn't sound like a sound business deal. The electricity has to cost something and that eats way into that $7 I would imagine. Not to mention they won't be used to full capacity 24 hours a day. I applaud the thought but it seems like the $1 million dollars has been wasted. Why wouldn't they also include solar panels when doing something like this?
Old September 29th, 2019, 10:56   #5
El Dobro
Veteran Member

The article states that there's a local electric taxi service that's in bad need of charging infrastructure, so it looks like the chargers may very well be used 24 hours a day.
Old September 29th, 2019, 11:12   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Sounds like it could be very profitable for the owner. A taxi fleet (most other ev owners as well)will probably be more interested in refueling quickly, rather than trying to squeeze in every last electron. And like anything else, price is subject to change.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 15:14   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I seriously doubt that tiny burg of a town has a fleet of electric taxis and or owners that will keep it fully loaded 24 hours a day. Even if they do the numbers are tiny. At $1344 a day gross at full usage minus the costs, I don't see how it will ever be "very profitable". Even the owner stated “You notice there are not too many electric vehicles on the road,” he said. “So it’s not something that I expect to become rich overnight or something like that, but it’s a good cause [and] good for the environment.”

It only took a $800,000 grant from our/their tax dollars so he could make a few hundred dollars a day, maybe.
Old September 29th, 2019, 17:32   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'd much rather have my tax dollars go toward building infrastructure for the future than pad the vaults of some Saudi prince who gets his jollies from dismembering journalists.
Old September 29th, 2019, 17:43   #9
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I don't see how it will ever be "very profitable".
It's unlikely that DC fast charging will ever be 'profitable' on the basis of selling electrons. As far as I know there isn't anyone that profitably sells only gasoline or diesel either. It's mostly a way to get you into the store (like Safeway or Costco) or sell you something overpriced in a convenience store.

The charge point CEO made a good point a few years ago. Selling gasoline is a terrible business model (it has the lowest margins of any retail sales), selling electrons is taking a bad business model and making it worse. How busy do you think gas stations would be if most people could get diesel at wholesale rates delivered at home?

For DC fast charging to be viable all stake holders need to chip in. The host that benefits from foot traffic, the manufacturer that sells the car, the utility that sells the electricity, the community that benefits from cleaner air and the drivers that need to charge away from home...
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 18:49   #10
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'd much rather have my tax dollars go toward building infrastructure for the future than pad the vaults of some Saudi prince who gets his jollies from dismembering journalists.
If they are going to go this route they should be building public charging stations, not private enterprise stations. We should get some benefit from our tax dollars doing this not private enterprise. I am all for building out infrastructure of all kinds with our tax dollars. It should be better used though and not for personal profit.

Stop using all oil then if you don't want to be padding the pockets of Saudi princes. It isn't just your tax dollars. You are funding them by using their products. You can't complain about one while continuing to do the other. Sell your ICE cars and go electric if you really feel that strongly about it. We have a long ways to go before we can live without them.
Old September 29th, 2019, 20:37   #11
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

They will make money off of selling cokes, chips, lottery tickets, beer etc just like regular gas stations. They might open a cafe or a coffee bar with wi fi for the customers to pass a half hour to an hour. They also mentioned repairing the cars.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 21:28   #12
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

They don't seem to be a convenience store. They are also in a tiny building by looking at them with Google Earth. Their sole source of other income seems to be from repairs. There doesn't seem to be room for anything else. Even if they are they will lose traffic with no fuel any more. Sales will go down.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; September 29th, 2019 at 21:36.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 23:50   #13
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I think it's fantastic. My sister lives in Takoma Park, and an EV would be ideal for her daily commute. I'm also impressed by how much the guy values his 17 year old daughters input.
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:40   #14
El Dobro
Veteran Member

I'm sure he's going to be just fine and I'm sure there'll be more behind him.
Old September 30th, 2019, 10:08   #15
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastguy View Post
They will make money off of selling cokes, chips, lottery tickets, beer etc just like regular gas stations. They might open a cafe or a coffee bar with wi fi for the customers to pass a half hour to an hour. They also mentioned repairing the cars.
If it were me I'd install some video poker machines. Free charging for players. About the only shot in turning a profit here.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote