www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 1st, 2017, 16:56   #46
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I wonder if a fmic would help lower egt' s. Do you have any turbos in mind for an upgrade? I've been hearing great things about the gtd1752.
The stock air/water intercooler works fantastic. Did a few logs yesterday at 88 temps and the max post charge air cooler temps were 122. The thought of water/meth injection here would be pretty nice. I even have a 4gal tank, pump, lines, and wiring already installed and not being used ��. Would be slick to use the DEF components with just a proper injector mounted. But, I think it might be best to wait and see what the final outcome is with the new turbo!

The turbo was going to be a GTD2060, but has now shifted to 1752vrk.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTB2260vklr, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr

Last edited by adjat84th; October 25th, 2017 at 07:49.
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 17:26   #47
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
The stock air/water intercooler works fantastic. Did a few logs yesterday at 88 temps and the max post charge air cooler temps were 122. The thought of water/meth injection here would be pretty nice. I even have a 4gal tank, pump, lines, and wiring already installed and not being used 😉. Would be slick to use the DEF components with just a proper injector mounted. But, I think it might be best to wait and see what the final outcome is with the new turbo!

The turbo is going to be a GTD2060 (likely hybrid), Ryan hasn't supplied me with any specifics and I'll respect that since the kit still needs to be test fit. You're right though, I've heard some good numbers out of those 1752s as well.

Nice. The a2w intercooler certainly looks like it would be pretty effective based on its size. I think water/meth inj. would be very cool (in a couple of ways)too. Can't think of a better use for the existing tank and wiring.
I'm going to have to look up the gtd2060. Based on what I've heard of the gtd1752, I bet it's a beast.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 19:03   #48
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by named tintin View Post
400C is pretty low in effect, probably the wrong sensor.
my alh is at 600F or so at 80 mph, flat ground, preturbo
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 15:55   #49
Larry@FixMyVW

TDI(s): 2015 GSW 6MT

I believe my car was pulling power during my last trackday. I was not logging EGT, but the MFD showed oil temp of 248F. During my commute home I have logged pre-turbo EGT and seen as high as 1450F at 215F oil temp. I have the emissions software update, other than a Neuspeed intake the engine/software is stock. I'm thinking my only option is to wait for the hardware update in 2018, take VWs money, tune and delete.
Larry@FixMyVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 16:44   #50
adjat84th
Veteran Member

I've never seen anything above 230F, but I've not yet tracked it either! When it pulls power for EGT protection, it's not a very hard cut but certainly noticeable.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
Old July 30th, 2017, 20:13   #51
Mr_robs

TDI(s): 15' GSW

Interesting, ive seen 250F oil temps indicated by the MFD in 98f doing about 75 up hill.

Have any sound clips to share with the rawtek setup on?
Mr_robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 22:25   #52
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_robs View Post
Interesting, ive seen 250F oil temps indicated by the MFD in 98f doing about 75 up hill.

Have any sound clips to share with the rawtek setup on?
It's a Buzzken downpipe with one resonator though probably not a big difference. I have been contemplating a second resonator, but wanted to wait till the new turbo was on before making the final decision. I'll see about making a clip soon.

Have about 8k miles on the clutch and still loving it!

Old October 25th, 2017, 16:19   #53
adjat84th
Veteran Member

GTD1752vrk is close to being installed. Waiting on oil feed/return lines being done up that are quite different from previous gen common rails. The feed line sits directly below the rear balance shaft (back in action on the EA288 in 2.0 form) and has to have a 90* bend on the banjo in order to come away from the block and around the shaft. The return fitting is extra special in that it sits at the top of the block, within millimeters of the cylinder head and exhaust manifold. The return line has to be metal and snake through cylinder 3-4 runners.

The stock TIP was used with a silicone reducer on the end to fit over the compressor inlet.

The charge pipe elbow is a fairly simple 90* bend, 2" silicone elbow to run from the compressor outlet to the stock charge pipe.

The only other hurdles left outside of awaiting the new oil lines are a couple of coolant pipes that need modifying in order to clear the new downpipe, and the other to clear the TIP and compressor outlet. The rear coolant hard pipe ran along, and was bolted at the middle to the DPF, but is now slightly in the way of the new downpipe. The plan is to cut this pipe, and run a short length of coolant hose (with a preformed 90* bend on one end) between the cuts in a different direction than stock. The goal is to have it run as far away from the downpipe as possible.

The other coolant pipe is the overflow from the heater core that runs overtop of the stock turbo, runs around the cylinder head, and then meets with the radiator overflow at a "T" then to the coolant bottle. This hard pipe in stock location runs directly in front of the turbo intake, so a cut to the pipe is necessary. I have a similar preformed coolant hose for this pipe as well, but in smaller size. The goal with this one is to run the hose either under the compressor outlet, or in between the outlet and the TIP where it will meet back with the stock hard line with the 90* bend in the hose. I am trying to retain the bolting locations on both of these hardlines to keep them from moving around, and to keep things as close as possible to their stock locations

I will have plenty of pics to come soon, and hoping to be up and running by next weekend pending oil return line fabrication!

Last edited by adjat84th; September 14th, 2019 at 14:07.
Old October 25th, 2017, 23:58   #54
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 360hp

Sounds pretty complicated compared to normal plug and play setups (gtb2260vk and vklr options). Curious how it turns in the end.
Old October 26th, 2017, 07:12   #55
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
Sounds pretty complicated compared to normal plug and play setups (gtb2260vk and vklr options). Curious how it turns in the end.
It's a bit different because of the new platform and it's slight differences. There are a couple of these that I know of running a GTB2260, and I'm sure they ran into some of the same things.

Old November 11th, 2017, 13:44   #56
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Just about ready to button this thing up. Only concern is how tightly the oil feed line is bending in order to be installed. It's also very close to the manifold (3/8" clearance you can see in the first picture), so I'm thinking this line needs the fitting on the turbo rotated 90 clockwise to allow it to relax which should also get it away from the manifold. Anyone know how tight these lines can bend before there becomes a restriction from a possible kink? It feels tighter than the pictures look, ha!

Old November 11th, 2017, 14:21   #57
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I don't think that bend radius is problematic. You could always wrap the line in some reflective insulation if you're worried about heat coming off the turbo.
Old November 12th, 2017, 14:45   #58
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Car is running! Just have to take it to my exhaust guy to have him put the hangers for the downpipe back on in the proper place. Keep in mind this kit is meant for the earlier CRs, so I knew there were likely to be a few issues.

Only other concern is the TIP which is extremely close to being a perfect fit. It just rests very slightly on the brake fluid reservoir which caused a vibration to be felt in the brake pedal. It's currently rigged so that it is not resting on it, but need to look for a long term solution so that the other airbox pieces all fit back in their stock location.

Will do some data logging as soon as the downpipe hangers are secure, and get some tweaks made to the tune!

Old November 12th, 2017, 14:59   #59
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Nice! Can't wait to see what the gtd1752 is capable of. From what I've heard, it sounds like a pretty ideal upgrade for a daily driver.
Old November 13th, 2017, 14:05   #60
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Nice! Can't wait to see what the gtd1752 is capable of. From what I've heard, it sounds like a pretty ideal upgrade for a daily driver.
With just the Stage 2 eco tune in place, it feels pretty robust! Max EGT was 815C at ~4800rpm. Getting limp mode for "stuck actuator" but only when I take it to 5k rpm...all other driving feels fantastic. Maybe a touch more laggy under 1500rpm than the smaller stock turbo which isn't bad at all, there's plenty of power from 1600rpm and up though. This will obviously all change once the tune is dialed in.

For sake of comparison, a 328d with DPF delete and tune saw 226hp@3,700rpm/380tq@2,000rpm. Obviously that will translate different to the VW, but we'll find out soon enough.