What is this? DEF Fluid Leak?

DieselDiesel

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
What is this? Crystalized DEF Fluid leak? Just noticed it this morning, but haven't been under the hood in about a month so don't know how long that's been happening. How quickly should I get it to the dealer to make them fix it? 2015 Passat, 16K.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yes, that looks like a DEF leak. The urea crystallizes like that.

Is there supposed to be a photo here???? Isn't the DEF tank in the trunk?
Yes, the DEF tank is in the rear, but it is injected into the exhaust near the engine. This leak is at (or near) the injector.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
isn't it injected into the exhaust about where the e brake handle is located?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
On the CKRA engine codes (2012-2014), Yes.

However on the CVCA engine code (2015+) the SCR catalyst is right off the turbo. So the Adblue injector is inside the engine bay as pictured.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
This is pretty much the way it works for the 2015 TDIs

this figure was published by VW as noted in the photo post.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Senez: I wouldn't stress over this. I believe this is the ONLY 2015 DEF leak that has been reported here.

Matt927 might have some more information on this.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Senez: I wouldn't stress over this. I believe this is the ONLY 2015 DEF leak that has been reported here.
Actually, this is at least the second case reported here. I saw a very similar picture in another thread several months ago. I do not have time to go searching for it now.

Have Fun!

Don

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
I wouldn't say I'm stressed about it, but it is new and bears watching, especially with all the ongoing emissions mess we're in. Just something to check at the 10k mile service interval or at oil checks.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ouch! hope they repair it quickly and for free

DieselDiesel

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Spoke with the dealership today. They let me know that there is a TSB out for this issue. They will be fixing it tomorrow.

Totally unrelated- they say they will be replacing the fuel sending unit due to the high pitch whine. I know others have noted this as well, mine was really loud and annoying.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
guess issues don't get ironed out with each revision of an engine

DieselDiesel

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Just got the car back. Fixed for free under warranty. It was not the injector, rather the hose.

They also replaced the fuel Pump (sending unit). I asked them about it and they said they had to remove the back seat as that unit is on top of the fuel tank. No more annoying constant high pitch whine.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
DEF leaks around the injector is a common problem on 2015 engines. The injector, as has been pointed out, is in a different place (near the exhaust manifold) than the CKRA engine (near the exhaust throttle under the car).

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Just got the car back. Fixed for free under warranty. It was not the injector, rather the hose.
They also replaced the fuel Pump (sending unit). I asked them about it and they said they had to remove the back seat as that unit is on top of the fuel tank. No more annoying constant high pitch whine.
OK, so the high pitch whine isn't SOP? I've been aggravated as hell by that, and it will get noticeably louder as the tank gets more and more empty.

DieselDiesel

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
It looks like we have the same car- 2015 Passat TDI with 6M. Take it to your dealer. What I was told initially was that they would compare it to a like model and decide whether it warranted replacement. It is nice not hearing it anymore. Bigger concern though, I feared the part would fail at some point.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It looks like we have the same car- 2015 Passat TDI with 6M. Take it to your dealer. What I was told initially was that they would compare it to a like model and decide whether it warranted replacement. It is nice not hearing it anymore. Bigger concern though, I feared the part would fail at some point.
So if a newer car on the lot happens to have the same problem, they won't fix yours? :rolleyes: ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^what are you referring to?

Gen 1 cars have boat load of issues with cracked DPF and exhaust flaps

Gen 2 cars (2012 Passats) have been know to have issues with DEF heaters going south at $500 in parts plus coolant breakdown and heater core clogging

Now these Gen 3 cars have a hose issue with the DEF injector (which hasn't really been reported on Gen 2 cars).