www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 17th, 2013, 07:38   #46
vwztips
Veteran Member

Da-BRT, for the DQS you asked about and from my notes:

Final = 3.85
1) 3.5
2) 1.89
3) 1.23
4) 0.87
5) 0.67
6) 0.56

Calculated speed at 2000 RPM = 68.5

There have been a few folks which have used this gearbox but reported lots of noise and vibration around the 2000 RPM level in 5th and 6th which may have to do with the taller gearing.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 19:23   #47
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

It's been awhile since I did this swap, so I thought I would update. I've put about 16K kms on it, and averaged 5.5L/100km in the summer weather. (despite my fuelly sig - I've been too lazy to update every fill).

Initially I had clutch slippage and back off the tune from 25psi to 22psi. All was well until I sent my wife on a 1000K journey and she came back complaining it didn't shift quite right... The clutch slips now when you push it hard. To recall I am running the stock DMF 240mm setup. Now I need an upgrade and soon. I have to explore my quickly available options, while retaining a DMF (being it 240 or 228mm). I've read too many people having syncro issues with the SMF setup. Although Valeo lists a 240mm SMF replacement setup for the PD130/PD150 setup. These motors do not have balance shafts, could that be the ticket? Do the BSM delete and the SMF? I can't imagine Valeo would sell it if they were having problems.

The other thing I never dealt with was the possibility of lack of pilot bearing engagement. It would be best to deal with both at the same time.

Overall I have been very happy with the way the car drives and the fuel economy. If I were to do it again, I'd probably settle for the cheaper less problematic 5 speed swap.
Old August 8th, 2013, 19:46   #48
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

The custom clutch setup I worked with DC to develop uses the same disk hub that's in the the Valeo/Luk smf conversion kits for the 4cyl TDI/01E applications in europe. Using this clutch setup, you use the stock bhw starter and remove the spacer plate so the pilot bearing engagement isn't an issue with the bhw crank.

Other option would be to have South Bend refurb the dmf setup with an ofe disk and lathe up a custom oilite pilot bushing that would stick out of the crank about ~5mm to get full snout engagement.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 20:06   #49
CharlieT
Veteran Member

I am running the stock Luk 240mm DMF, with a Sachs Race Engineering pressure plate (heavier than stock) and SRE rigid organic disc. I got Ryan to source it for me, he now sells the kit here.
10,000 miles now, runs great. Pedal is pretty heavy, even with the stiffest clutch pedal spring option (green one).
Personally, I would never again put any SMF on the PD/01E setup. If you dig thru ETKA, all the 01Es are used with DMFs, whereas a lot of the 5sps were with SMF. There has to be a good reason for this.
As others have posted, the 01E has very long input shaft, with heavy (thick) gears, and so appears to be very sensitive to torsional harmonics on the input shaft. This causes a large resonance, and kills synchros fast due to chatter.
There are two ways to avoid this resonance. Fit a MUCH heavier flywheel, which will reduce the crank accel/decel twice per rev, or fit a DMF to prevent the harmonic being transmitted into the gearbox.
My 228mm SMF setup (SBC stg 2E) weighed 36.5 lbs (inc PP) and resonated horribly.
My DMF setup weighs 38 lbs and is silent. I find it hard to believe that only 1.5 lbs made the difference, it is the DMF springs doing their job and preventing harmonics being transmitted up the 01E input shaft.
Old August 19th, 2013, 17:17   #50
Uberhare
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Charlie. I verified all the P/Ns in the Sachs catalog and ordered the parts. ZF/Sachs North America can order them in. 4 weeks away.
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:12   #51
gerwazy

TDI(s): Passat B5.5

Any idea if I will need the spacer and dowel pins for a 1.8T auto to manual swap with a Valeo SMF as well??? I was reading somewhere that you need to shave the crank by 4 mm but maybe this will solve that problem...
gerwazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 17:14   #52
Uberhare
Veteran Member

5 speed or 6 speed?

5 speed - no problems.
6 speed - 240mm flywheel requires the spacer and longer dowel pins.

From what I have read here and other forums, do not use a SMF with the 6 speed. It will destroy your syncro's quickly.
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:44   #53
gerwazy

TDI(s): Passat B5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
5 speed or 6 speed?

5 speed - no problems.
6 speed - 240mm flywheel requires the spacer and longer dowel pins.

From what I have read here and other forums, do not use a SMF with the 6 speed. It will destroy your syncro's quickly.
I forgot to mention I am going with a 5 speed so I guess I won't need the spacer, thanks.
gerwazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:02   #54
vwztips
Veteran Member

Just don't forget to check clearances at the end of crank. As you know there is a different crank for the auto 1.8t vs the manual 1,8t crank.

You also need to check the hole diameter at the end of the crank. IIRC it is not big enough to accept the roller bearing required for the manual transmission.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 17:04   #55
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

Quote:
Not true. While a very few have had syncro problems using smf kits in 01E's, both used the exact same clutch kit meant for gas engines with stiff-ish sprung clutch disks. We've been doing this in the TDI world for years with the vr6/g60 based setups with no problems. However, it's been found out the hard way that an 01E absolutely requires a very softly sprung clutch disk and a heavy flywheel to absorb torsional harmonics. All the 02A, 02J, 02M, 02Q, 01A transmissions don't seem to care in the same manner. Having said that, there are tons of people in europe running thousands of miles trouble free on 01E's with appropriate smf kits that just happen to not work so well with our BHW arrangement (namely shorter crank snout limiting pilot bearing engagement with spacer plate when using dmf setup).

Both LUK and Valeo make DMF to SMF conversion kits for longitudinal TDI's with 01E's. I find it impossible that such a large company would spend millions to engineer a clutch kit that would destroy their biggest customer's transmissions. See here http://www.bazarek.pl/produkt/353425...olo-valeo.html

However, that setup still requires you to use the dmf funky starter and spacer. I worked with DC Clutch to develop a billet steel flywheel that lets you use no spacer plate, use a softly sprung 240mm disc, stock BHW starter, and weighs 41lbs overall (same as 240mm dmf). See first post in my vendor thread for pics.

Last edited by Whitbread; August 22nd, 2013 at 17:07.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 20:43   #56
Uberhare
Veteran Member

Yes - I have found all the Valeo p/n's in their catalog already. That kit is only 230mm as well. I'm not willing to risk my transmission. Too costly to get another one here or rebuild.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:22   #57
TokenRednek

Fuel Economy: 40hwy/35city

Can I get a little clarification on some of your parts list?

When you say axles..which car are you getting these from? Also. Can you reprogram ecu using vag com? Or do I need something else? Flashzilla?

I'm just confused on some of the parts needed that's all. I plan on doing this swap and want to know exactly where to source these parts. I have several local junkyards I can choose from that always have a hefty supply of VW. The more I can get locally the cheaper it will be for me.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 17:55   #58
Uberhare
Veteran Member

Axles are from a 6 speed TDI Passat in Europe. You can use 1.8T/v6 manual axles if using a 5 speed.

You will need both a flash tool and vagcom. Engine ECU will need custom software, then vagcom to recode the can gateway and ABS module.

You can source 5 speed parts locally, but the ratios will be a bit short for a TDI. Some have swapped over 5th gear to something taller to compensate. Best option is to spring for a proper European geared TDI 5 or 6 speed. With a 5 speed you can retain your original starter as well. 6 speed uses a Euro only unit.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 20:45   #59
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
With a 5 speed you can retain your original starter as well. 6 speed uses a Euro only unit.
You can use a 01E 6 speed trans and the stock starter without using a spacer plate between the trans & the engine.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:06   #60
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
My 40km drive to work this morning:

No hypermiling, just 10K over the limit cruising in traffic. I'm averaging 5.4 right now in the warmer weather. 70% hwy.
I noticed than in your Fuelly graph you got a substantial pump in mileage from May 1 to May 8 (36.6 to 41.7 MPG) with your six speed set up. Do you attribute that mostly to going from winter to summer fuel or driving more highway, or .... ?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote