www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old August 28th, 2009, 16:29   #16
madelgado
Veteran Member

I don't know how it is exactly in the SW, but... do you think that this piece will fit?

I would definitely bump the very beginning of the opening...
madelgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 00:17   #17
vicius_the_one

TDI(s): Passat 3b6

That piece helps the trunk door to lift faster for about 2 centimeters and after that the gas-filled struts get the necessary power to lift the trunk door by their own power.
Madelgado, could you tell us where from did you get that picture ?
vicius_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 14:07   #18
madelgado
Veteran Member

That picture is from my car... I replaced the rubber with this. The part number (from A6) is: 4F5827249B That's for sedan... I don't know if that "pop-up" feature is also in the A6 variant... there may exist the equivalent for the variant... or maybe this one fits perfectly... not sure...
madelgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:21   #19
vicius_the_one

That piece can be fitted to my passat variant because OEM existing part with rubber is identically with your previous rubber support part. So no matter your car is, sedan or variant, it has the same support part with rubber cap, so if you fit the part number (from A6) 4F5827249B on your sedan, I can do the same because it is the same fitting, but in other places.
So let me understand, the pop-up feature that you used, 4F5827249B, helped it to lift faster and get a faster response from the springs you mounted so thay could lift it faster, or you put that pop-up pins not to let trunk's door lock to block it when you open it via FOB key? Cause I saw that when a press the middle button on my FOB key but i don't pull imediately de trunk's door, the door lock locks a little de door and it needs a human intervention by pressing trunks button on rear side of door, above the number plate. If i press middle button on FOB key and pull trunks door imediately, it lifts without any blocking from the door's lock. The lock is free for about 2 seconds, and after these 2 second the lock engine V57, closes a little the lock.

LE : show me please, somehow in a video on youtube how those pins are acting when you press them with your fingers, like touching a buton, to let me understant their power. Thanks a lot. I could buy them if it could help my trunks door to lift faster.

Last edited by vicius_the_one; September 22nd, 2009 at 08:28.
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:20   #20
enry68

Hello, do you think that this modification can be applied also to the Passat 3BG Variant ?
enry68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:33   #21
vicius_the_one

Yes. Next week i'll order those pop pins. But they are only the top of the aisberg. Only help they can provide is to pop-up the link lid at the beginning. After that the gas-filled struts should do their work, if they are in a good shape...I mean new or almost new(not more than 2 years old). I'm also thinking about Phaeton system with gas-filled strus actuated by a hydraulic unit(pump). But that pump is very expensive(OEM) so i have to improvise something(another cheap hydraulic pump), but i can't find anythind to fit in my car, i mean a small electric hydraulic pump 12-14v. In this matter we could also close the trunk lid with the power of the hydraulic pump. That(open/close by hydraulic pump) depends of circuit diagram we also could improvise to supply it +12v for increasing pressure(for lift up) or decrease pressur (for close lid) ....Nice idea...hard mod
Old October 31st, 2009, 17:50   #22
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

No, not for the US market B5.5 wagon. There is no release of any mechanical item until the electrical switch in the hatch lid is activated.

Pressing the remote or operating the switch in the driver's door only activates the hatch switch to make it electrically functional.
The switch in the hatch is then electrically powered for about 30 seconds. The switch contact must be pressed during this time to energizes the release solenoid. The electrical power to the hatch switch is cut after this time.
Stronger gas springs and repositioned lift points will do nothing if the hatch isn't released, and that can only happen by pressing the switch in the hatch. You're already at the back of the car, you've already grasped the lift handle to touch the switch, what now?
What is needed is a means of making the key fob remote or driver's door switch operate the hatch release solenoid directly. Then the springs and angles could work, but the initial release is the problem with the wagon/variant.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 18:23   #23
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
...The switch in the hatch is then electrically powered for about 30 seconds. The switch contact must be pressed during this time to energizes the release solenoid. The electrical power to the hatch switch is cut after this time...
Not on mine. Not on eyeguy's.
My hatch unlocks when the doors unlock. It stays that way. No 30 second time period and then relock. I really have no use for the middle button on the fob.

It would be a challenge for ours though to know the difference between just unlocking, and a time when I want to unlock and open. It would be a nuisance for the hatch to fly open every time I pull the key from the ignition switch.
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:02   #24
vicius_the_one

Lug_Nut do you mean your trunk lid won't act like this by remote ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGGR-PVMXs . Be attentive, i didn't press the switch contact on trunk's lid. I pulled trunk's lid from another point after pressing middle switch on remote.
Old November 1st, 2009, 18:47   #25
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

No, mine does not.
Pressing the remote button, or the switch on the driver's door, does nothing but make the hatch switch active. There is no sound, and no hatch release when pressing the remote or the driver's door switch.
During this time that the hatch switch is active I can press the hatch switch to make the sound and release the catch solenoid. If I wait too long, the hatch switch is deactivated and I must press the remote (or driver's door switch) again.

MoGolf, I have the automatic door locking and unlocking turned off. I've tried with both lock and unlock in automatic, auto unlock only with ignition key removal only (as it seems yours is programmed) and have had no change in the hatch switch function with any of the VAG-COM coding.

I don't want the hatch to release. I just want it to unlock, (make the hatch switch permanently active), all the time the doors are unlocked.
If there is something you could point me towards to obtain this function, I'd appreciate it.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old November 1st, 2009, 23:06   #26
blizzard60
Veteran Member

Lugnut, my jetta wagon performs EXACTLY like you have described your passat does. I believe that there is a fair amount of overlap in passat/jetta/golf/etc ccms. I would LOVE the ability to set up my car so that it is asothers have described. So that the only reason you ever need to use the "trunk release" (either on the remote or on the drivers door) would beif the car was looked.

I'd love even MORE if I could get the trunk to actually lift when I hit the button, but I don't see that happening...

Keep me posted!
-Chris
blizzard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 17:25   #27
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Lug Nut, I'm going to have to compare your car's settings to mine the next time we're at the same place at the same time.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 17:29   #28
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Tell me what to scan and I'll get a log,
or at least a baseball bat to get the ECU's attention first.
I'm presuming it'd be in the comfort and convenience setting, no?

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old November 4th, 2009, 06:57   #29
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I had dinner with Radman last evening. He mentioned that his B5 wagon also allowed unlocking the rear hatch with the doors, and then left it unlocked indefinitely thus allowing opening the hatch by merely pressing the rear switch and lifting. He also mentioned that he was pleased (surprised?) that this hatch unlocked feature was maintained even after he had the "windows open by remote operation" code modification performed.
So apparently this B5 wagon rear hatch unlock feature is not part of a "package" but might be an "ala carte" selection.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old November 7th, 2009, 10:12   #30
rudeboymcc

TDI(s): Bora

wait you're saying the gas struts alone open the variants boot door with no human interaction??

is my mk4 jetta meant to do this as well? i bought mine second hand and it's very difficult to open the boot, i'm thknig if i just buy these gas struts it will open by itself!
rudeboymcc is offline   Reply With Quote