www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 25th, 2008, 13:19   #1
madelgado
Veteran Member

Default Passat 3B/3BG Automatic (remote) opening of the boot

Hi, I was able to adapt the additional springs from A6 (about 30€ total for both springs) to my passat 3BG. These springs open the boot completely, and not just the "pop" of 0,5 centimeters. The 3B works the same... maybe other models like jetta, a4, a6 (without this feature)

I had to build some parts from the scratch, using some pieces of iron... it is not finished yet, since I want to improve it a bit before publishing the shape and dimensions of the pieces... The hard work is to find the exact position to drill the holes, the length of the pieces, etc... since I had to rebuild some pieces several times. And still a bit more improvement is required, to be perfect.

So at the moment I will show you the final result of the initial successful test (you cannot imagine how happy I was to see THIS after 10 hours of fighting with the driller and the radial tools, etc... screwing and unscrewing... pffff...

I promise to give all the details about the 4 pieces that are needed (for each side). Having the perfect dimensions and shape, it is about 1 hour to build and install... Additionally you will have to buy the springs at Audi dealer... not expensive for what you get.

I hope that you like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Vw6t0FC5Y (high quality available)

I wrote a bit more info in a local forum... but you can take a look to the pictures of the parts involved, etc... http://www.solovag.es/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=534

My car is actually at the workshop, since someone came too fast towards my rear bumper... breaking it... the led tail lights saved from the accident so right now I cannot work on it until next week...

Last edited by madelgado; September 25th, 2008 at 14:47.
madelgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 13:48   #2
b554me
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 31mpg

Well I'm on the edge of my seat, I want this bad. Can't wait until you publish the final specs.. I'll be doing this!

How is it closing boot now? Just as tough as it was before?

OK, I'll wait..

Last edited by b554me; September 26th, 2008 at 13:40.
b554me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 14:49   #3
madelgado
Veteran Member

I suggest that you wait... if you want to order the pieces,that's ok... but it was some piece of work to define where the points of force go, so that it lifts the boot... To close the boot is exactly as the new A6 with those springs... a bit harder than the stock... but nothing excesive... something that you will get used to
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:17   #4
madelgado
Veteran Member

Ok, I will summarize the parts, pieces and new pictures for this cool mod... I know that some of you will do it

A bit of history:

Pictures from A6 with this feature:

Pictures from my passat b5/5.5 hinges:

So, from the A6 I learned the parts to buy:

In text:

2 x 4F5 827 249 B
2 x 4F5 827 665 A

The exact price I don't have it, but it was like 50 euros for all (I got some discount from the dealer, so maybe the list price for all is around 60 euros)

Now you need to build these 3 pieces... the dimensions in millimeters are written in this schematic:

Old November 19th, 2008, 07:30   #5
madelgado
Veteran Member

And the real pictures of the pieces are:

I really don't know how to explain this in English... sorry... but in this picture you can see the first and second pieces, joined with an axle and reusing one of the two nuts to stay fixed to the hinge... A6 has these two pieces inverted...

This is the other side of the spring... The third piece is used to hook the lower side of the spring to another piece of the hinge. It has to be displaced 2 cm. to avoid touching the gas spring (BTW, it is the original Gas Spring... they were not replaced)

Old November 19th, 2008, 07:31   #6
madelgado
Veteran Member

Just a different point of view where you can see all pieces aligned... Your set-up must look like this...

These two piecture show the trunk being closed with 45 and about 60 degrees (more would not leave space to take the picture). The first one is taken when the second piece starts touching the trunk... That's the scope of the A6 springs, to apply force between 0 degrees (closed) and 45 degrees... the gas springs will push the trunk from 45 to 90 degrees (more or less).

And the remaining piece:

I hope to have feedback from you specially if someone will implement the mod.

Last edited by madelgado; November 19th, 2008 at 07:34.
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:47   #7
0xFF

TDI(s): AVF

Hi,
How it is possible to open (open - I mean pop-up not just unlock) the trunk via FOB?
I tried on B5 passat variant (2003), but no luck .
Pressing trunk button for fiew seconds - no effect.
Do I have to code CCM to enable this feature?

P.S.
Great job. Very nice and useful mod.
0xFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:06   #8
madelgado
Veteran Member

Hello, I have identified (but I am not 100% sure) a bit that controls the "pop" feature. Please connect with vds-pro to the CCM and read-out the value that you have on cell 04361 (the cell where you enable the rolling windows mod)
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:39   #9
0xFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelgado
Hello, I have identified (but I am not 100% sure) a bit that controls the "pop" feature. Please connect with vds-pro to the CCM and read-out the value that you have on cell 04361 (the cell where you enable the rolling windows mod)
Hi,
Thanks for help.
I have 1C0 959 799 B already recoded for rolling windows mod .

I dont remember values, but mod was done according to information I found on this forum. So, for 99.9% it was:
Code:
Memory Address / old value / new value
04361 / 75 / 67
04362 / 75 / 67
04363 / 75 / 67
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:13   #10
madelgado
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xFF
Hi,
Thanks for help.
I have 1C0 959 799 B already recoded for rolling windows mod .

I dont remember values, but mod was done according to information I found on this forum. So, for 99.9% it was:
Code:
Memory Address / old value / new value
04361 / 75 / 67
04362 / 75 / 67
04363 / 75 / 67
Ok, first, read what you have on 4361. If it is not 67, then abort. If it is 67, then write 66 on the three addresses. Test the third button. If it doesn't work, restore 67 (also on the three addresses)

If the test fails, write down the values that you have on:

4350 --> write down the 10 values
4360 --> same
4370 --> same

So that I can compare all the config bytes with Euro models and sedan models.
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:49   #11
0xFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelgado
Ok, first, read what you have on 4361. If it is not 67, then abort. If it is 67, then write 66 on the three addresses. Test the third button. If it doesn't work, restore 67 (also on the three addresses)

If the test fails, write down the values that you have on:

4350 --> write down the 10 values
4360 --> same
4370 --> same

So that I can compare all the config bytes with Euro models and sedan models.
Ok, it works
Trunk pops when I open via FOB or from inside - via trunk button.
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:24   #12
madelgado
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xFF
Ok, it works
Trunk pops when I open via FOB or from inside - via trunk button.
Good to know Thanks for reporting back the results
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:54   #13
vicius_the_one

TDI(s): Passat 3b6

Anyone with variant, who did the activation, could post a video. I did activation with my 1C0 959 799 B and yes, my trunk auto open but won't lift cause my gas-filled struts are 6 years old. Afriend of mine replaced those two gas-filled struts with 2 new ones and when he press the button on trunk it lifts alone with no human intervention, so those gas-filled struts are so powerfull when are new that can lift trunk's door alone without any help from the person that opens it. So anybody with variant, who changed values for auto open trunk's door, has a video to show me how it acts
vicius_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:43   #14
0xFF

Mine won't lift - passat 2003.
Did your friend just replaced two gas-filled struts for new ones or replaced with different type/model?
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:56   #15
vicius_the_one

TDI(s): Passat 3b6

With just two new ones
vicius_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote