www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2008

TDIFest 2008 Discussion about TDIFest 2008 that was held in Mason, OH on the Labour Day weekend (August 29th - August 31st, 2008) .

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:55   #31
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintertux
There is a mention of VWoA never coming? What sponsors or vendors do show?

I like the idea of having it in DC 2009 when they move there but why give them the advertisement when they don’t support us….?
Dude, they do support us. They came to this Fest with a powertrain engineer, the PR manager for VW Canada, AND a 2008 "Clean Diesel" Jetta TDI.

In my book, that's some pretty good support for a small group of fanatics. This is the first year they've done it, but they said they would definitely be back next year.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:40   #32
meganuke
TDIClub Contributor
Vendor

Not to mention the backpacks and other goodies they've donated in the past.
meganuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:35   #33
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

VW's participation is spotty and mostly done last minute - both this year and last. I wouldn't recommend depending on VW for anything.

Plan the Fest and invite VW. Once we get consistency from them, we can then kick it up a notch.
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 13:19   #34
Leo819
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45.5/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel
VW's participation is spotty and mostly done last minute - both this year and last. I wouldn't recommend depending on VW for anything.

Plan the Fest and invite VW. Once we get consistency from them, we can then kick it up a notch.
I think you need to right person to approach VWoA. Someone who knows how to go after sponsorship, and sell why VW should be there. Making a call and asking can you come out, isn't going to cut it. You need sell the idea that VW making a presenence is a great way to estiblish a great relationship to a deticated customer base. Also a great way, to see what people want in a Diesel car, What trends and desires are important. That they in turn can use to create new models for us and the public.

You don't invite VW out. YOU sell the TDIFest as a marketing/sales tool for them. Then we might get somewhere.

Leo819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 14:40   #35
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo819
I think you need to right person to approach VWoA. Someone who knows how to go after sponsorship, and sell why VW should be there. Making a call and asking can you come out, isn't going to cut it. You need sell the idea that VW making a presenence is a great way to estiblish a great relationship to a deticated customer base. Also a great way, to see what people want in a Diesel car, What trends and desires are important. That they in turn can use to create new models for us and the public.

You don't invite VW out. YOU sell the TDIFest as a marketing/sales tool for them. Then we might get somewhere.
oddly enough, after much contact with VWoA and VW Can, Corporate was the one who contacted US. it was rather unusual. But after finally being able to get corporate to come to our gathering, it seems they are looking more into coming to future fests. Just coming to Fest seemed to make the sale. I hope they'll be more inclined to join us in '08 but heed hamsters words... they're still unreliable in their responses.

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 21:34   #36
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Personally I'd say they won't commit until closer to the fest rather than 'unreliable'. When we first asked for support they send us some goods right away. Not a huge amount, but some good prizes (ie bags, jackets, etc). THANKS VW.

It wasn't until closer to the Fest that they said they would be in attendance. For now I'm not so sure it would be easy to plan a Fest around VW. I would't rule it out, but it would probably be easier to plan the next Fest independently of VW and try to get their help once plans get set.

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:37   #37
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf
Personally I'd say they won't commit until closer to the fest rather than 'unreliable'. When we first asked for support they send us some goods right away. Not a huge amount, but some good prizes (ie bags, jackets, etc). THANKS VW.

It wasn't until closer to the Fest that they said they would be in attendance. For now I'm not so sure it would be easy to plan a Fest around VW. I would't rule it out, but it would probably be easier to plan the next Fest independently of VW and try to get their help once plans get set.
I agree - that is more like it. We definitely would like to keep the VW presence at the Fest, but it's unlikely that we can plan with them at this stage.
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:41   #38
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

I don't understand why VWoA does not promote the Diesel more.. I hear comercials about cars getting 32 mpg and it makes me laugh. Our Fest can be part of their promotion, saying look we already do better than 32 mpg and here is proof..

I agree you need to give them a bone to play with.. Offer a speaking opportunity where they could layout thier plans for Diesel in the future... Roadmap speech.. If they say no call Honda, Jeep, toyota, etc... others that have or are putting out Diesels in the future.

Try and get other groups of interest involved.. Provide a venue for Biodiesel some how... I don't care for Willie Nelson but he has that Biodiesel thing going http://www.biowillieusa.com/.. http://www.earthbiofuels.com/ or give the Soybean industry http://www.regfuel.com/biodiesel.html a call.. Call up the networks like Fox News and get them involved.. Bigger the audience the better the show of big companies..

I know that this fest is for us and not industry... Not trying to comercialize it, just want to push the Diesel platform and help re-educate the 95% of people who think diesel stinks...Just the more big groups you have involve the more fun for all of us...

Is there a list of sponsers that have attended previous events? Local versus National?

Last edited by Hintertux; September 10th, 2007 at 10:58.
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:21   #39
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

TDIs fly off dealers' lots by word of mouth alone. Why spend money advertising when a product sells itself?
Old September 10th, 2007, 15:32   #40
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout
TDIs fly off dealers' lots by word of mouth alone. Why spend money advertising when a product sells itself?
Any idea of what fraction their TDI's make in their overall sales?
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 18:20   #41
Route 66
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 VW

Not much in the U.S. but in all of Europe where a litre of diesel fuel is $6.00, go figure.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 18:36   #42
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintertux
Any idea of what fraction their TDI's make in their overall sales?
Given the EPA's limition on the number imported, I'm guessing 5%, if even that.
Old September 10th, 2007, 18:58   #43
Torque_Delight
TDIClub Enthusiast
Modded

Fuel Economy: ~5 l/100km

If I recall properly... the powertrain engineer from VW said that we, in Canada, have like 38% of the VW sold market in Diesels...

IMO, I say that in Québec, we are closer to 70% of the VW sold are TDIs

I think we've understood since a while the benefits of Diesel engines... Maybe we are more evolved
Jetta TDI 2001 GL (~680 000 km) : GT-1749VB, EGT/O2/Boost Gauges, Scangauge II, Sachs VR6 Clutch kit, OEM G60 Flywheel, 502 Nozzles, MRTuning, Euroswitch, Hella Micro-DE w/ yellow bulb, Rear fog, Wolfsburg's Heated Seats, Koni STR.T Shocks, H&R OE Sport Springs, TT Control Arm Bushings, 17" Santa Monica (GTI VR6) Wheels, DieselGeek Skid Plate, FX35 HID Projectors Retrofit, GLI Tail Lights, 2004 Trunk lid.
Torque_Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 22:11   #44
ride4miles

TDI(s): 99 beetle
Fuel Economy: 1280km

You got that right there a tdi's everywhere here!
1975 transam no2
1994 olds98
2002 chevy avalanche
ride4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:35   #45
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

25% of the 2006 VWs sold were TDIs.

Note that that was the EPA-imposed limit - the first time that VW has EVER run into that emissions limit. (For 2005, it was 50%, and for 2004, it was 75%.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote