www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old January 15th, 2020, 09:56   #5131
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

The Civic I mentioned was simply a random example of something that had a high-enough MPG rating to make getting money out of the Clunker program tough, never said I owned one.
Rob Mayercik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 16:38   #5132
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

This is a great video from Engineering Explained regarding the model 3 as a daily driver. This guy does some really excellent, intelligent vids.

https://youtu.be/cXkRcuwoIm4
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 05:48   #5133
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Our Model 3 will roll over 50,000 miles tomorrow. Not bad for 16.5 months of ownership... still in love with the car, as it keeps getting better over time. The most recent addition was the acceleration boost, which brings it up to ~490 HP and 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.

Average speed on long road trips including charging time is 60 MPH. Heading to Austin, Texas next week for the Fully Charged LIVE event.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; January 24th, 2020 at 05:50.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 07:37   #5134
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Welcome to Austin in advance! COTA (Circuit of the Americas) is a very nice venue. Been to several concerts/events out there. Hope you enjoy yourself! Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, if needed.
Old January 24th, 2020, 13:13   #5135
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

That sounds like a lot of fun. I've been to two F1 races at COTA , and this event sounds like an even better time. Not that they plan to do it, but I'd love to see a Raven Model S and Taycan "turbo" race around the track a few times. They must have plans to utilize that amazing track somehow.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 13:59   #5136
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Should be a big event. Austin has quite a few electric cars now. My employer NXP Semiconductor (formerly Freescale, formerly Motorola) has free charging stations at work now. As do some other employers here. You see the cars on the streets quite often. One of my coworkers drives a Tesla. COTA does have track days, but the cost is high ($1k and up) and you must have experience or instruction to be able to participate. Not to mention a car that complies with the rules. They aren't going to let just anyone go fast out there.
Old January 24th, 2020, 21:25   #5137
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Our Model 3 will roll over 50,000 miles tomorrow. Not bad for 16.5 months of ownership... still in love with the car, as it keeps getting better over time. The most recent addition was the acceleration boost, which brings it up to ~490 HP and 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.

Average speed on long road trips including charging time is 60 MPH. Heading to Austin, Texas next week for the Fully Charged LIVE event.
That's pretty cool. The only reason we didn't get a Tesla this time around was because when we had the eGolf someone smacked a fender in my wife's work parking lot and we had to tow it 2 hours away to a repair facility that could handle the high voltage. What is Tesla's policy? Do they come pick it up for body damage or it has to be flat bedded somewhere?
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 06:23   #5138
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Quote:

Yep, AND Tesla’s are ‘Merican made! I get my Y in ‘23!
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 06:49   #5139
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Heading to Austin, Texas next week for the Fully Charged LIVE event.
Enjoy, Robert Llewellyn is a hoot.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 08:59   #5140
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
This is a great video from Engineering Explained regarding the model 3 as a daily driver. This guy does some really excellent, intelligent vids.

https://youtu.be/cXkRcuwoIm4
Solid rundown of life with an electric car/Tesla!

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 10:07   #5141
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
That's pretty cool. The only reason we didn't get a Tesla this time around was because when we had the eGolf someone smacked a fender in my wife's work parking lot and we had to tow it 2 hours away to a repair facility that could handle the high voltage. What is Tesla's policy? Do they come pick it up for body damage or it has to be flat bedded somewhere?
Tesla will do some body repairs in-house; bumper replacements and bolt-on items like that. Tesla also certifies local body shops to work on the vehicles, which may or may not be plentiful in your area. You can search for a body shop here: https://www.tesla.com/support/body-shop-support
Old January 25th, 2020, 15:33   #5142
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Tesla will do some body repairs in-house; bumper replacements and bolt-on items like that. Tesla also certifies local body shops to work on the vehicles, which may or may not be plentiful in your area. You can search for a body shop here: https://www.tesla.com/support/body-shop-support
Thanks for that. As I suspected, the closest authorized shops are about 100 miles away. Do you know if the authorized shops give loaners out when a vehicle is brought in for repair?

When I need a substantial repair from VW, and I want to risk the dealership's hands on my vehicle, I have to drive a couple hours away and then find my way home. But at least body work can be done at any collision center. I don't just have unqualified people in my area, they don't even know how unqualified they are (which I would argue is even more dangerous!). I explained the eGolf was full electric and then took it to Caliber Collision after they said oh yeah sure we can work on that and then called me a week later after they had started removing body panels to tell me to come get it since they didn't know how and didn't want to risk working on a high voltage vehicle
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 16:58   #5143
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

You would need to contact those individual body shops to see what their loaner policies are. (Or, just carry rental coverage on your insurance.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 10:47   #5144
BeetlePD
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Beetle 2005

I leased an EV from Mercedes

It was spoooo boring to drive. It had leather seats, XM radio, other luxuries but no noise of any kind. No shifting. I got bored with it

BeetlePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 20:59   #5145
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetlePD View Post
I leased an EV from Mercedes

It was spoooo boring to drive. It had leather seats, XM radio, other luxuries but no noise of any kind. No shifting. I got bored with it

I had to use an ICE for the first time in several years a few weeks ago. It was weird. I pushed the 'go' pedal and all it really did was make noise. It did accelerate but just barely
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote