www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 17th, 2020, 10:30   #31
mr.loops
Veteran Member

In for watching some "chopping"
mr.loops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 12:02   #32
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

I have been suuuuuuuper lazy in posting updates. She is street legal, but there is a ton of work left to do. Hopefully, I will be able to show my progress over the weekend. In the meantime, here is a short video showing the all-crucial and terrifying initial roof cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ZtQ6AFtWs
RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II
Lex4TDI4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 09:31   #33
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

I finally have some time to kill and figured I would give an update. No pics right now, but I will hit the highlights. Long story short, she is on the road with body panels unpainted, but in place. I needed to get this thing on the road as soon as possible because my other car (2019 Audi TTRS) is not something I like driving around in crappy weather.

Some highlights of my adventure to get there since December:
  • After getting the bed frame and tailgate in place, I started tackling the body panels. First up was getting the rear window fitted to the window frame. This is where the dremel, sanding wheels, sandpaper and cutting discs came into play. It took a lot of time an effort, but eventually I got the window installed and used 3M Windo-Weld to bond the two together. That stuff is messy, so keep a punch of gloves on hand. I eventually went over the edge with some silicone to make it look clean.

• Getting the window surround fitted to the car was a bit of a PITA. The most important part is pushing the top, leading edge of the fiberglass between the two pieces of sheet metal that comprise the roof. There are a few interference points, so some grinding, cutting and swearing were in order. Having a friend help was huge. After spreading the sheet metal panels apart and liberal use of a rubber mallet, we got it fitted in.

• Next up were the two rear quarter panels. Again, this take a lot of time, patience, and trimming, particularly where the taillights attach. The actual fitment of the panels to the body went well - the gaps were easy to get right. I used a couple sheet metal screws into the door frame and the truck bed rails to keep the gaps right while I worked on the wiring and taillights.

• As mentioned, fitting the taillights to the quarter panels was a pain. You have to grind down a bunch of fiberglass to get the two tabs to fit into the panel. You also have to cut two holes to allow the back of the tail light assemblies to fit and to allow for the wiring to come through.

• I am incompetent and many things, but none more so than electrical work. I will spare most of the details, but there are few important things to note. The Smyth manual correctly identifies which wires go to which connectors, but having a Bentley manual with wiring diagrams around is a good idea. Second, because you are extending the rear of the car by a fair amount, you need to splice in extensions to any wiring going to the tail lights. I think this is more pronounced on the Golf than on the Jetta. I invested in a really good stripper/crimper for the job and a kit of glue-lined, heat shrink butt connectors. I also soldered some of the more delicate connections.

• The housings for the running light/brake light and turn signals are pretty standard. I broke one while ham-fistedly getting things to fit and had to order another. Once the connections are in place and secure, it is a best practice to fill the backs of the connectors with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

• The kit comes with two small LED lights with pig tails to be spliced into the reverse light circuit. You have to drill little holes into the turn signal area of the tail light assembly and fit them in.

A couple issues with these. First, the wires are incredibly small gauge. My stripping tool did a fine job, but a standard one will not. It also almost certainly requires soldering because the wires will slip out of the smallest of butt connectors. Right now, they work, but flicker. I think I will need to do more research on LEDs in general and maybe get new ones that work better.

• All of the taillight wiring runs down the driver's side. It branches off to run over to the passenger's side from there. I put the wiring into some mesh conduit and am running it inside the rear-most bed frame crossbar.

RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II

Last edited by Lex4TDI4Life; February 22nd, 2020 at 21:13.
Old February 21st, 2020, 09:45   #34
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

At some point during the wiring carnage, I discovered that my key fob no longer worked and that I could not roll my windows up or down. Add onto that the fact that my physical door lock no longer works, and I was pretty much stuck with windows down during some of the colder weather we have had this winter. You may recall I removed my headliner for re-lining and, therefore, all interior lights. Well, I eventually traced the problem down to a short somewhere in my interior lighting, which feeds the CCM, which, when it finds a short in one of the related systems, pretty much disables every related system. My adventure is detailed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504733. Long story short, I cut the wires that feed the interior lighting signal into the CCM and will troubleshoot when the weather warms up.
Old February 21st, 2020, 09:55   #35
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

I needed to get her on the road, but did not want to do a final attachment of body panels until I finished with my headliner work and troubleshooting of the interior lighting/CCM debacle. So, with the panels held in place with my sheet metal screws, I riveted in the window surround to the roof and the quarter panels into the truck bed rails. I also riveted the rear bumper to the quarter panels.

For temporary waterproofing, I applied black silicone to the edge where the surround meets the roof and the other open edges where the surround meets the quarter panels. This has worked well and kept the interior dry. Once that was complete, I sprung for a new set of Nokian WGR4s in 195/65/15 for my steelies and got her on the road.

I also put in the aluminum truck bed. This requires tapping holes into the aluminum bed panels and the bed frame cross bars for the 1/4" screws that come with the kit. After breaking the first, cheapo thread tapper I got from Lowes, I splurged on a proper 1/4"-20 tapered thread tap and correct #7 cobalt drill bits. I did not have to trim the bed panels, which was a pleasant surpriose.

I have put about 600 miles on her, including in the snow and on substantial highway runs at speed, since getting the panels fitted and sorting out some other minor electrical FUBARs on my part. So far, nothing has fallen off, although I did get pulled over in VA for not having my license plate lights installed yet, which I suspected would happen eventually. The cop was cheerful and we had a fun chat about the car and the work I did on it. He wished me well and didn't give me a citation. Until I get it painted, I figure this thing will be rolling probable cause, so I am keeping speeds sane and generally not driving like an a$$.

Last edited by Lex4TDI4Life; February 21st, 2020 at 10:01.
Old February 22nd, 2020, 21:03   #36
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

A couple pics of her in the wild: