Flood water damage. . . .

Kx39

TDI
Mk4 golf 1.9 pd 150.
Hi not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but as the title suggests I did a very silly thing and risked my mk4 golf gti 1.9 pd 150 going through flood water almost made it out the other end but the car gave up.

I got the car home on a truck and started to investigate pulled the glow plugs and sprayed the water and fuel out of the chambers releases water from the intercooler pipes and then got the car running for about 30mins with throttle assistance had to hold it at around 1200 rpm but then it died again when I tried to let it idle and hasn't come back to life since. The throttle no longer effects the car when trying to start it.

I have scanned the car and am getting codes p0321 and 01314. In an attempt to fix the p0321 I fitted a new crankshaft sensor but that has made no difference I have been over the car pulling plugs apart and drying them out in Hope's to get it going again. The 01314 code I'm not to sure about I'm finding it in the brakes section and Google is just saying that the brakes cant communicate with the brain.

I have had the egr unit off aswell to find water inside the vacum chamber on the top of it which makes me think water could be in the main vacum unit (not sure where to find it).

At the moment the car will fire up for 1-2seconds then die if I hold the key past this point i can hear the started trying to turn but struggles but the engine turns over when I reset the key.

I'm am doing my best to stop he car being scrapped but running out of ideas.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Compression test would be my suggestion...looking for bent rods due to water ingestion.

First things first...and if you bent rods you may just want to find another engine and then decide how much more to troubleshoot the one you have.

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

Kx39

TDI
Mk4 golf 1.9 pd 150.
Thanks for your response I will try and source a tester as I cant get to a garage with it at the moment and go from there.

Currently looking for another car.

Kx39

TDI
Mk4 golf 1.9 pd 150.
Should be testing compression tomorrow.

On another note I have noticed that the glow plugs didn't heat up with the coolant temp sensor plugged In and the fuel pump doesn't prime anymore (maybe not pumping at all). No longer have the 01314 code in the brake module.

Any methods to test the fuel pump without a volt meter?

Last edited:

Kx39

TDI
Mk4 golf 1.9 pd 150.
Finally had compression check and it's fine.

At the moment the car will start for 1-2 seconds then stalls can keep cranking but doesnt try to start again unless I reset the key.
Still getting error code p0321 I have replaced crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor with same result.
I have tested the connections with a multimeter camshaft has 12volts and 5volt signal.
Crank was only showing me 2.6v on all 3 pins.

Not sure where to go from here.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you can it would be helpful to post the actual compression numbers... the absolute values are important, but so are the differences between cylinders.

Kx39

TDI
Mk4 golf 1.9 pd 150.
I cant remember the numbers I was told they where good enough, also mentioned chamber 4 being abit less then the others but shouldn't be enough to cause a problem.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I go off of this:

TEST CONDITIONS
Engine oil temperature 30°C (86°F) minimum.
New: 25-31 bar (362.5-449.5 psi)
Wear limit: 19 bar (275.5 psi)
Permissible difference between all cylinders: 5 bar (72.5 psi).

A properly broken in engine will be from 500-550.

-BB