10k intervals with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-40?

jdall

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
Hi All,
I'm due for an oil change and feel its time to take on the job myself for the first time. The oil currently being used is Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w-40 for turbo diesel engines. I was reading over some of the info in TDI FAQ and read that Mobil 1 oil falls into a category that does not meet the standards for 10k intervals. Is that statement only referring to Mobil 1 non-synthetic oil? Am I ok with 10k intervals while using Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w-40?

Other question is, do I need a VW ALH oil filter wrench for an A4 model TDI? My car is a 2003 Beetle.

Thanks!!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
In a Word Yes

Hi All,
I'm due for an oil change and feel its time to take on the job myself for the first time. The oil currently being used is Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w-40 for turbo diesel engines. I was reading over some of the info in TDI FAQ and read that Mobil 1 oil falls into a category that does not meet the standards for 10k intervals. Is that statement only referring to Mobil 1 non-synthetic oil? Am I ok with 10k intervals while using Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w-40?

Other question is, do I need a VW ALH oil filter wrench for an A4 model TDI? My car is a 2003 Beetle.

Thanks!!
:)

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w-40 for turbo diesel engines

Yes. Should be good for 10K change intervals and then some.

Good luck!

:D

GibMir1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta w/DSG Grenade
jd-

I can only say my experience with TDT has been terrific. I drive the A5 jetta with the DSG grenade option. My iron wear was something like 23 and TBN a nice 6.0 and the insolubles around 0.4. I had 10,800 miles on the oil with .7quarts as a top-off during the interval.
That said - each engine is different. Try the oil if you dare and get an analysis @ 10K miles. Then you have all the facts you need for your situation.
As for the oil wrench and ALH's in general - I dunno. I use a 32MM socket (??) to loosen the oil filter cap on my car.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would use 10k intervals - and do.

I like the Autozone or metalnerd ALH oil filter wrench - they work. The one I got from Advance auto was junk. I suspect that metalnerd's tool is the better one.

www.metalnerd.com Part MN7614 - Specialty Socket for Oil Filters & Filter Caps

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I've been doing 10k oil changes using the Mobil 1 5w-40 for almost 500,000 miles on one car.

That oil is perfect for the ALH engine that you have (same as mine). See my signature.

-Rich

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic with 12K OCI on my 3 ALHs. Did oil analysis and they have always come back good.

I see no reason why NOT to run Mobil 1 synthetic.

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
Switching to Mobil 1

Switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic (Diesel Truck) 5w-40 from Wallyworld. I have been doing my oil changes at every 10K with 505.01 using either Motul/Elf or Total Ineo from ID Parts or Worldimpex until 160K.
For the last 2 oil changes, I used Schaeffer 9000 premium oil (as per vwjettadsl recommendation), even though it doesn't meet the VW specs. Now the odo is at 190K miles and time again for a oil change.

Since Ben (vwjettadsl) is not coming to Wichita anymore, no more access to Schaeffer oil. I see recommendations for Mobil 1, is it OK to use this oil and still have the 10K OCI? Mine is a 2006 BRM Pumpe-Duese.

Thanks for your input..

Suparag

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Suparag,
Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40.
Yes, that is what I do on my PD, and for the same reasons.
Excellent oil, excellent used oil analyses results.
10 k OCI.
Commonly available.

Remember: it does NOT meet VW oil requirements for the PD motor series.

Last edited:

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
@DanG144,

Thanks, most of the votes above are for non-pd motor, and was not sure that this applied for PD engine as well..

Suparag

dpowell7

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
According to Exxon Mobil, regarding their TDT 5W-40:

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long 15,000 miles on some new cars. We recommend that you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual. With Mobil 1´s high-performance reserves, you can have the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

Source: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Last edited:

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
jdall - 10k OCI on that oil has taken me 210k miles. Short trips, commuting in the cold, lots of torture treatment and I never had a bad Used Oil analysis. Says a lot.

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
Thank you all for your input, I think most of us here are way beyond the point of worrying about VW warranty and 505.01 certification.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Thank you all for your input, I think most of us here are way beyond the point of worrying about VW warranty and 505.01 certification.
Yep,
I consciously made the decision on my '05 BEW PD to go to Mobil1 TDT 5W40 even before the warranty was up. I plan to keep the car for 250K and 20 years - the warranty was much less valuable to me than the reduced wear.
I only mentioned the lack of VW aproval due to trying to be thorough - let people make their own informed decisions.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Of course, just blindly telling someone that 10k is fine is rather silly since they never once stated what type of use the car sees.

Frequent short trips, all city driving, super dusty conditions, hauling a trailer all play into what OCI is right for you.

That said, I do 15k miles OCI's in mine using TDT.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I've been doing 12K OCI's with Mobil 1 TDT in my PD with good UOA's also. GMark was my inspiration with his 2004 Jetta.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Someone (or more) posted on here that the new Mobil 1 5w30 sold by Pep Boys meets the VW specs. You'll get better mileage using 5w30 than 5w40.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Someone (or more) posted on here that the new Mobil 1 5w30 sold by Pep Boys meets the VW specs. You'll get better mileage using 5w30 than 5w40.
Newbie, You don't have a clue about what your are talking about!

Even on the older ALH, 5w30 was a cam and lifter destroyer in about 200K.

Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 5w40 have proven to be the superior choice in respect to cam and lifter wear in ALL GENERATIONS of the VW TDI.

You will NEVER recoup the fuel savings in respect to damage generated to the cam and lifters.. just ask the PD owners out there if they would subscribe to your advice or those who have worn out ALH/AHU/1Z cams.

Wear occured by removing "fragments" or "Flakes" of the metal surface. These "Flake" regions were too large to be detected by Spectrographic analysis since
their size was larger than 5 microns giving an impression of a better than actual wear sample.

Wear measured at the cam lobe in .001" per 10,000 miles. Vechicles were sampled at regular intervals using the listed oils and OEM filters.

Last edited:

Clayslayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta and a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 4BT Cummins
And I should add,
Mobil1 TDT 5W40 does not meet VW spec 505.01 for PD motors.
Who CARES?!?!

There are a LOT of folks that have used it for hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles to date. (Sorry Dan, not trying to make you feel bad)

BTW 10K OCI= Just fine. I do mine at either 10K or annually, whichever comes first.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
TDI FAQ and read that Mobil 1 oil falls into a category that does not meet the standards for 10k intervals. Is that statement only referring to Mobil 1 non-synthetic oil?
No such animal. The “Mobil 1” brand is only used for synthetic oils

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
....but he's still following this thread like a hawk. :D