Loose motor mount problems?

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
MY car has been making a "thunk" noise around the front driver side wheel at times. It happens mostly when changing direction (forward to reverse, or reverse to forward), I have thought that have the wheel turned seems to make it happen more often. It's quite inconsistent so hard to diagnose. I brought it in to a local Les Schwab to have them check it out and they said everything looks tight on the front end. The one thing they did find is loose motor mounts, they made it sound like they were quite loose. I didn't get a chance to see it myself because I got it in to them right before closing.

Has anyone else had any loose motor mount problems? Any idea if getting those fixed is covered in the power train warranty (I have about 55k miles)?

Any thoughts on if the loose motor mounts is whats causing the "thunk" sound?

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
im wondering if mine are loose on my 12 tdi with 55k on it . At a light when my foot on the brake , dsg trans , the car shakes a little , i dont know if i ever noticed it before , but i do now .

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
necro bump, did tightening the motor mount help clunking at all?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
NMS Passats are hard on the compliance bushings in the control arms. Very common. You have to drop the subframe down to get them out (at least, that is how I do it, since I find it MUCH easier that way), so you'll get to make sure all the subframe bolts are tight when you go back together.

The control arms sort of fit in a "pocket" in the subframe, which is why it is easier to drop the whole thing down, then you can just slide them straight out. Bushings press out and in, just like the A4 cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you think the OPs sound is from LCA? Have you had many issues with engine mounts?

I started that other clunking sound thread a while ago and have been noticing it more and more, thing that's pointing me to the motor mount is I think I'm starting to hear the clunk during start up.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
pretty easy check, put a wrench/socket on the mount bolts and subframe bolts, DO NOT torque, but just find out what is loose, then tighten to spec.

ssarg95

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I have been fighting a broke plastic wye connecting to fire wall penetration on the coolant system for about 2 month. Had it fixed, broke again 2 weeks later. Had it fixed under craftsmanship warranty but now has just broke again. Seems like I’ve got something else going on. How can I tell if I have a loose (or broke) motor mount

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We still have ours, a shop retorqued the motor mount, and it solved it . . . . for a heat cycle. I'm thinking it's more DPF exhaust related as I hear it on start up.

We don't have any other issues. leaking coolant or anything else.