www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 8th, 2018, 13:41   #1
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020
Default Body creaking

No not my body, the Passats body.

When you are at a full stop and just release the brake a little and immediately push the brake again, there is a creaking sound. It sounds as if the car body might be shifting? Not coming from below.

Has anyone experienced this. Car barely has 25,000 miles on it.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 14:13   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Lots of the NMS cars get the subframe/body creak, not sure why, and while there has been a TSB about it for a while, it always seems to be a temporary fix.

First just try tightening all the subframe bolts (there are six of them). Get a 16th of a turn on each one, by hand, and see if that helps.

There is also an issue on the NMS involving the front springs contacting the strut's spring seat. Spraying some thick lube in there will cure that for a while. If you do it at every service you can avoid it under most conditions.

Your '15 *should* have all the newest stuff already, but sometimes there are still issues.

Last edited by oilhammer; June 8th, 2018 at 14:16.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:18   #3
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Thanks oilhammer for the reply.
I just received notification that the Phase 2 for my car is available. So when I take the car in to the dealer I'll let them do that.I'll copy and print your "cure" to show them. I'm still covered by warranty as well as I have an extended warranty.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Old June 11th, 2018, 05:53   #4
roni024
Veteran Member

Don't be surprised when they tell you they can't just tighten the bolts; they may have to replace them. They're (supposedly) one-use stretch bolts. Your dealer may want to stretch your wallet open. Fortunately, the bolts oilHammer mentioned are very easily accessed with the car up on ramps.
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 07:09   #5
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni024 View Post
Don't be surprised when they tell you they can't just tighten the bolts; they may have to replace them. They're (supposedly) one-use stretch bolts. Your dealer may want to stretch your wallet open. Fortunately, the bolts oilHammer mentioned are very easily accessed with the car up on ramps.

If they want to replace them I would think that it should be covered under warranty. My warranty is good for another 2 years.
Old August 10th, 2018, 17:00   #6
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Follow up !!!

Thanks for any advice.

I had to take my Passat in for the Phase 2 job. I mentioned to them about the creak. Also needed my oil (My cars oil !!!) changed. God knows I could do with one too. LOL

Picked up the car and was told the mechanic found the EVO skid plate had somehow come loose a little. I suspect at the previous oil change not bolted on properly. The mechanic replaced some hardware after teh oil change and the creak is gone !!!