Frustrated about the limited options!!!!!!!

ssg510

TDI
none now
Have been following the New Passat for quite awhile. Even sold my old Jetta TDI to the brother in law thinking I would be getting a new Passatt TDI. Really love the looks and room but have not pulled the trigger since I can not get the upgraded se or sel with with the 6m. Really dissapointing because you can get the 6m in the upgraded package in Canada. Nothing wrong with the auto, I just like the 6m with the longevity and small mpg increase. This thread is not intended to debate the pros/cons of the 6m or the auto. Just frustrated. Thinking I might just hold out for the 6m in the future but that could be awhile.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Really...this shouldn't be a new thread. Please subscribe to the "What the $32k Passat lacks" thread...or whatever it's called. Plenty of members there to join up with.

We don't need yet another thread questioning VWoA's corporate decisions re: marketing.

ssg510

TDI
none now
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My most sincere apologies. It was never my intention to needlessly take up valuable forum space or commence a new thread about subjects allready covered. I am new here but not to the vw brand. Have owned an 84 GTI, several tdi jettas and presently have an 2.0 beetle. I have read alot of the threads here but not all. Maybe I should read the entire forum before I post. Again, sorry that I wasted anyone's time. Oh. and thanks for the warm welcome.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
!x7 Not needed

You are not the only one that is frustrated. Selling to the masses does not create a vehicle custom tailored to suit an individuals wants.

If you like the manual transmission it is offered in Canada on the TDI Passat and the import of such a vehicle is possible as it is certified in both USA and Canada.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
My most sincere apologies. It was never my intention to needlessly take up valuable forum space or commence a new thread about subjects allready covered. I am new here but not to the vw brand. Have owned an 84 GTI, several tdi jettas and presently have an 2.0 beetle. I have read alot of the threads here but not all. Maybe I should read the entire forum before I post. Again, sorry that I wasted anyone's time. Oh. and thanks for the warm welcome.
Maybe you should cut back on the caffeine . . .

ssg510

TDI
none now
Oberkanone, thanks for the information. I like the 6m and the upper lever se and sel package but want the combination. Im sure that having one shipped over the line would be a bit more expensive.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
Oberkanone, thanks for the information. I like the 6m and the upper lever se and sel package but want the combination. Im sure that having one shipped over the line would be a bit more expensive.
But you could get exactly what you'd like.

ssg510

TDI
none now
Any idea on the price or procedure on doing it. Would I go through a local dealer (probably not since it is a Canadian vehicle). Is an interesting prospect. Just as soon as I do it, it will become avaliable in the states. My luck. Oh yes, have you seen the taxes in Canada. Would probably cost close to $40k

Last edited:

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
I purchased an office chair in Montreal last summer and had it shipped to my home near Boston. I didn't have to pay any Canadian taxes on it; I'd expect that you'll receive the same treatment for a car.

I'd suggest that you contact VW in Canada. They have probably dealt with this situation before. Who knows - they may have something similar to the European delivery programs offered by many car makers.

Good luck!

ssg510

TDI
none now
I purchased an office chair in Montreal last summer and had it shipped to my home near Boston. I didn't have to pay any Canadian taxes on it; I'd expect that you'll receive the same treatment for a car.

I'd suggest that you contact VW in Canada. They have probably dealt with this situation before. Who knows - they may have something similar to the European delivery programs offered by many car makers.

Good luck!
Sounds like a great suggestion. Ill give it a try and see what they say. Thanks

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Canadians have different DOT regulations. I'm almost positive some of their bits and peices won't fly here.

I'll bet you VWoC will give you a nice email with a whole bunch of words, but they'll be laughing at you as if you requesting a car from the moon.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, neighbor, if I sounded rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No offense intended. Just stating the obvious. There are loads of threads expressing frustration with VWoA marketing, specifically re: limited availability of the 6sp. manual.. Why add another one? It just makes it more difficult for the already complex search process (for those that do a search:eek::D) when there are so many redundant threads.

Careful with a Canadian purchase. You may very well run into warranty claim issues, as VWofC and VWoA don't always play well together.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
As far as i know the only thing the car will need to pass would be daytime running lights...i remember when i worked at a ford dealer years ago that was the only thing that needed to be added to the american version for it to pass

ssg510

TDI
none now
Sorry, neighbor, if I sounded rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No offense intended. Just stating the obvious. There are loads of threads expressing frustration with VWoA marketing, specifically re: limited availability of the 6sp. manual.. Why add another one? It just makes it more difficult for the already complex search process (for those that do a search:eek::D) when there are so many redundant threads.

Careful with a Canadian purchase. You may very well run into warranty claim issues, as VWofC and VWoA don't always play well together.
No problem. Im sure I DID have too much caffiene this morning and I should have looked more carefully at the other thread that you mentioned. You are right about the import and warranty thing. Sounds like alot to go through to get a 6m with the options. Just do not understand. All the passats are made in Tenn. right? Does not seem so hard to get what I want but Im sure It will probably be an option in a couple or years. Thanks for the help.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
I've always owned cars with manual transmissions, but I did go with the DSG on the Passat. It's a nice transmission, and my wife does prefer auto.

ssg510

TDI
none now
I've always owned cars with manual transmissions, but I did go with the DSG on the Passat. It's a nice transmission, and my wife does prefer auto.
Well, this whole exercise in my particular case might be for nothing. The wife also prefers the DSG and she will be the one driving it the most as the taxi with the two girs. I forgot that the mere fact that I get to pay for it gives me really no choice as to anything regarding options. I thought I could sell it as less expensive for the manual. Wishful thinking. Ha Ha Ha...

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, this whole exercise in my particular case might be for nothing. The wife also prefers the DSG and she will be the one driving it the most as the taxi with the two girs. I forgot that the mere fact that I get to pay for it gives me really no choice as to anything regarding options. I thought I could sell it as less expensive for the manual. Wishful thinking. Ha Ha Ha...
The DSG really is nice. And there is real value in keeping your wife happy!

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Canadians have different DOT regulations. I'm almost positive some of their bits and peices won't fly here.

I'll bet you VWoC will give you a nice email with a whole bunch of words, but they'll be laughing at you as if you requesting a car from the moon.
yes we do live on the moon.....taxes are soooo high on the Moon cause it takes so darn long to deliver Shredded Wheat up here to Toronto.....

Turtherlips

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/ Nav
I just had a dealer in MA offer to sell me a TDI SE (Manual) with a dealer installed nav and sunroof. I opted for the stock SE with Nav & Sunroof, something about a dealer installed sunroof makes me nervous...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
bummer bub, sorry to hear you'll be stuck with the DSG again, you'll miss the 6mt. But, I bet the miss's is happy to keep the DSG thou.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
turtherlips, I highly doubt any dealer would be installing a sunroof so early in a model year...if ever. It just makes no economic sense, especially with potential warranty issues.

Turtherlips

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/ Nav
740- yes, the misses is much happier with the DSG. I test drove both MT and AT. The new DSG is definitely smoother than the generation in my car.

Straight from Paul Clark VW:

"I have two options for you: I can get you into a brand new 2012 VW Passat SE Manual with a Sunroof and Navigation installed for only $28,200. Or, I can get you into an Automatic w/ the SE NAV ROOF for only $28,491"

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The biggest difference in buying from Canada and bringing into the States or vica versa is the speedometer cluster. Canada made a succesful conversion to the metric system, which we did not. From co-workers in Canada, they have told me that in order to get your plates you have to change the cluster. Perhaps the boarder states will let it pass, but since the OP is in Viginia, I bet it would be an issue.

I've noticed more rental cars in Canada not having the second line on the speedo for mph, just kph.

ssg510

TDI
none now
Did finally get a reply from VW Canada. Long story short, the warranty will not transfer to the states. VWNA will not honor the Canada vehicles and vice versa. To me, right now the se and sel package with no 6m is a deal breaker. Ill wait a few months untill the "newnes" wears off. I really like the car and will eventually get one. Thanks for the help.
"

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess if someone lived on the boarder, could they buy in canada then have it serviced in canada and still have the warranty? or does VWNA void canadian warranty soon as it's registered in the USA.

Also how do the VINs differ between a canadian car vs US? would you even be able to get insurance or register it?

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
turtherlips, I highly doubt any dealer would be installing a sunroof so early in a model year...if ever. It just makes no economic sense, especially with potential warranty issues.
I'd wager you're wrong. When we looked for our Legacy, we wanted a 6sp with sunroof. very hard to find and one local dealer wanted to sell us there's. They said they'd put in a sunroof - no problem as good as factory. No thanks.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
as long as the roof is a Webasto or ASC unit you will be good, actually better than most OEM.

I'm 31 years old but owned about 23 cars and let me tell ya, never ever had an issue with ANY ASC sunroof. On top of that the roofs do not drop any headroom for ya. I'm looking to get a 6M/T SE possibly and want a sunroof, and will put in a Kenwood/Garmin double din unit in there if I want Navi.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Let's see: in 30 years of purchasing cars, I've bought 11 or 12 new cars and 5 used cars. For most of them, I've kept them until the wheels fell off. A few, I used as trades for a vehicle that fit the times and family needs better. Such as selling a truck that got about 18 mpg for a small sedan that got about 35 mpg when gas first started to climb towards $3.00 a gallon.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
You are allowed to sell up to 5 a year w/o having to get a dealers or resellers license ;) I pay my taxes on all, but won't be doing any more car sales much longer, Crook county just slapped a new tax fee of 175-200-225 depending on car age. Need to move out of Cook county.

While I do like having a roof in my car, the oem one in my R32 always creaks and my wife's MKV GTi 5d has none and she's happy with it.