Passat acceleration

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I noticed this too, But I think it stops pulling hard after about 3500 rpm(basically poops out after 4K)....my Golf TDI pulled harder than the Passat after 3500 rpm's. Makes me think the Passat would really benefit from a tune. This is kind of nit-picking though as I really like this car.
Anyone think this could be due to the A2W intercooler? intake temps rise to much then limit power?

BTW where the diesel shines is pulling you up to speed, no winding the piss out of it hitting 6K to get the same feeling.

So even though the 2.5 might beat it in a race to 0-60 how many times are people racing? But how many time are you trying to pass someone on a back road going from 40-60? with the TDI no down shift is really needed, the 2.5 will most likly double down shift to get the same results.

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Anyone think this could be due to the A2W intercooler? intake temps rise to much then limit power?

BTW where the diesel shines is pulling you up to speed, no winding the piss out of it hitting 6K to get the same feeling.

So even though the 2.5 might beat it in a race to 0-60 how many times are people racing? But how many time are you trying to pass someone on a back road going from 40-60? with the TDI no down shift is really needed, the 2.5 will most likly double down shift to get the same results.
Right, I could care a less about the lack of pull above 4000rpm's as I'm not up there very often and in the common range of rpm's it pulls great....just thought it might be of interest to some that it has this characteristic. I would much rather drive this TDI then some gasser winding out to get the power to the road, from 2-4th gear this car pulls like a train and can get you to highway cruising speed in a hurry, a blast to drive in my opinion.....I really love this car!

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd

The passing time, 40-60 I believe, was better (albeit just barely) on the 2.5. That was what shocked me the most about the times I read. This was in the dealer literature published from the Motor Trend 2012 Car of the Year mag. Back page compared all three powerplants.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 2.5 and the TDI are really close. Probably not enough difference to notice without a stopwatch. But they do point out that both cars are significantly slower than competing cars in their class.

The 14.2 second quarter mile for the V6 is impressive. That drivetrain must be fun.