Passat acceleration

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
I was wondering about the difference in acceleration comparing the Passat to other VW CR 2.0 TDI cars.With the Passats extra weight can you notice much of a differance? It would be interesting to hear from people that have
one of each.Thanks for any replys.

2009 Jetta TDI DSG 76K
2010 Jetta TDI DSG 30k
2006 Jetta TDI DSG 78k sold

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Passat: Quieter, smoother shifting DSG, isolated engine (VERY quiet), feels more substantial, did I say quieter? BUT, it's not isolated in a Honda/Toyota way. It's still very much a VW. I like the more "sophisticated" feeling, after 3 years in the 09 TDIs. Yes, it "floats" a bit more, but...I like that, at this point in my life! I'm looking forward to getting it out on the open road!

I've driven my 2012 Passat and my 09 JSW TDI back-to-back several times now. I like both of them, but the JSW is definitely "lighter" on its feet, more responsive. Neither one of them is quick "off the line", but the torque is very similar when you need to pass quickly. Neither one will win many races, but my butt-dyno tells me the Passat is, as you would expect, a tick slower...not much...

The difference, in almost all ways, is quite noticeable...except the MPG, which, in fact, seems better in the Passat (still too early to tell...)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Haven't driven the 09....but the passat pulls hard and strong. I am more than happy with the choice. It's great on the highway with plenty of power for passing etc.

If you want fast 0-60 times then you have to go with the 3.6 gasser.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Traditonally with VAG TDIs sold here, you notice the extra heft of a larger model less than you would with the comparable available gas 4 cylinder. And even then, it really only is noticeable from a standstill. Once you are moving down the road, the car goes just fine. Torque works wonders with heavy cars.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Traditonally with VAG TDIs sold here, you notice the extra heft of a larger model less than you would with the comparable available gas 4 cylinder. And even then, it really only is noticeable from a standstill. Once you are moving down the road, the car goes just fine. Torque works wonders with heavy cars.
oilhammer is right..this thing has 236 lb ft of torque. I always tell people...generally....that HP is your 0-60 or 1/4 mile times and the torque is the actual power the engine has. The power is what you feel. HP number is only how quickly the power can be put to use.

I have the manual trans and agree that off the line not as much. Once you get into 2nd gear and surpass 1600rpm you can really feel the power kick in. It gives me a very confident feeling going down the road.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I was wondering about the difference in acceleration comparing the Passat to other VW CR 2.0 TDI cars.With the Passats extra weight can you notice much of a differance? It would be interesting to hear from people that have
one of each.Thanks for any replys.

2009 Jetta TDI DSG 76K
2010 Jetta TDI DSG 30k
2006 Jetta TDI DSG 78k sold
Based on why I could tell during the test drive it is FASTER with even that weight, because the engine is re-tuned for performance because it has the NOx AdBlue system.

It turns out the other 2.0's are actually de-tuned for emissions.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Based on why I could tell during the test drive it is FASTER with even that weight, because the engine is re-tuned for performance because it has the NOx AdBlue system.

It turns out the other 2.0's are actually de-tuned for emissions.
I understand the injection system on the passat is different as well. It makes use of the latest generation solenoid injectors which are lower cost vs. the more expensive piezeo injectors used in the other applications.

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
Those with the 3 pedals, did they make the clutch and brake a tad further distance from each other. I feel on the Jetta, they are to close together.

Re: Ad Blue, do you need to add "AD Blue" to the system in Passat?

One more, does the Passat have the adjustable arm rest as in 09-10 Jetta's? or eliminated as in 2011 Jetta.

Thanks, Gary

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Gary,
AdBlue is an additive, located in the trunk. I think the tank size is 4.5 gal and VW claims it's good for 10K+ miles. The additive is cheaper than D2, the engine requires less emissions detuning, so it's a welcome addition in my opinion.
I believe the arm rest extends, like older models, but does not lock into a raised position.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
VW calls it AdBlue but it is more commonly known as DEF (Diesel Emissions Fluid). The only catch is that there is a special adapter and the bottles purchased from the dealer are the only that fit....however.....what you can do is purchase one bottle from the dealer and then use that as a funnel and from there on get the regular DEF from someplace like Walmart.

This should not be an issue though until after the 36k miles free maintenance period is up. The dealer should top it up for you when they change your oil.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
6M here and I don't notice anything unusual in the pedal spacing, works for me. The armrest slides forward-backward on one plane.

Relative to speed, I'd say it is a tad slower and a bit less athletic than the Golf TDI DSG I had, but that was to be expected, this doesn't detract from the cars performance as it scoots along nicely, I'm very impressed with it, handles normal driving situations beautifully. I would NOT trade it in for the Golf, I loved my Golf, but the Passat is better...for me. I'm also really enjoying the 6M, the Passat made me realize how much I missed shifting. And the fuel economy of this thing is unreal for such a large, powerful car, you can manage 50mpg on the highway with a little care....fingers/toes/legs crossed on reliability front.

Last edited:

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
6M here and I don't notice anything unusual in the pedal spacing, works for me. The armrest slides forward-backward on one plane.

Relative to speed, I'd say it is a tad slower and a bit less athletic than the Golf TDI DSG I had, but that was to be expected, this doesn't detract from the cars performance as it scoots along nicely, I'm very impressed with it, handles normal driving situations beautifully. I would NOT trade it in for the Golf, I loved my Golf, but the Passat is better...for me. I'm also really enjoying the 6M, the Passat made me realize how much I missed shifting. And the fuel economy of this thing is unreal for such a large, powerful car, you can manage 50mpg on the highway with a little care....fingers/toes/legs crossed on reliability front.
I said it before and I will say it again. I have the base model, price, power, options, I am very happy with my choice.

50 MPG for a car this size is amazing!!!! There is zero competition!

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Im super impressed with how solid the Passat feels when you drive it. The Jetta to me just felt a little rinky-dink. A bit tinny and plasticy..... The Passat feels like a $60K car.
The Passat just feels right - and - here's a strange one - its actually ok to drive slowly. I drove an Accord for 11 years and loved it but it just BEGGED to be driven fast. The Passat you can drive slowly and still enjoy it....you can cruise at 98 mph and its awesome but its one of the few cars I have ever driven that I feel content to drive almost any way.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I agree I love how solid it feels. With the MT 60mph appears to be right at the 1600rpm magic spot for cruising. If I don't set cruise though its easy to get up to 70 or 80 and not even realize it.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I agree I love how solid it feels. With the MT 60mph appears to be right at the 1600rpm magic spot for cruising. If I don't set cruise though its easy to get up to 70 or 80 and not even realize it.

...or 90.

:rolleyes:

Im going to get arrested in this dammed car.....

and oh yea I forgot to say - yes, the acceleration will surprise you. The best is going up long steep hills. The torque is so nice to have....

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
yes, the acceleration will surprise you. The best is going up long steep hills. The torque is so nice to have....
Especially 2-4th gear, it wil get up and go....and going up hills is always fun in these cars, car laughs at hills. I've fallen in love with the diesel torque, just fun to drive....Now when I drive one of our gassers I can't wait to get back in the Passat.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
vw.com doesn't list a 0-60 time for the Passat, they say the 2 door Golf TDI is 8.6 sec. I am a bit suspect of their data, however. They also say the 2 door Golf weighs 2933 lbs, the Passat SE 3360. 330 lbs. has gotta matter.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Especially 2-4th gear, it wil get up and go....and going up hills is always fun in these cars, car laughs at hills. I've fallen in love with the diesel torque, just fun to drive....Now when I drive one of our gassers I can't wait to get back in the Passat.
yeah the look on people's faces as you motor past is classic! again....im getting arrested....

vw.com doesn't list a 0-60 time for the Passat, they say the 2 door Golf TDI is 8.6 sec. I am a bit suspect of their data, however.
yeah I have to say i was a little disappointed with how hard the car pulls after 2.5K. It pulls really hard for a moment then starts to taper....it would be something if the power delivery was a bit more linear.

then I remember it still gets 45 mpg+ and I forget about all that.

under2x

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE manual
Yeah I have the manual tdi, and it really moves up to about 50mph. Cruising down the highway at 90 it feels rock solid... Last night I took my radar detector off of my motorcycle and put it in the passat 8).

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
Yes, I find the speed warning to be a must have in this car. I was passing traffic on a very steep incline in Colorado when I heard the "ding" and saw the instrument cluster warning me that I had exceeded 95 MPH. I can really say there was much difference between 75 and 95 and I wasn't pushing the pedal much either...

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
Yes, I find the speed warning to be a must have in this car. I was passing traffic on a very steep incline in Colorado when I heard the "ding" and saw the instrument cluster warning me that I had exceeded 95 MPH. I can really say there was much difference between 75 and 95 and I wasn't pushing the pedal much either...
Isn't the top speed just slightly above 100 mph?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
yeah I have to say i was a little disappointed with how hard the car pulls after 2.5K. It pulls really hard for a moment then starts to taper....it would be something if the power delivery was a bit more linear.
I noticed this too, But I think it stops pulling hard after about 3500 rpm(basically poops out after 4K)....my Golf TDI pulled harder than the Passat after 3500 rpm's. Makes me think the Passat would really benefit from a tune. This is kind of nit-picking though as I really like this car.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I was shocked to read that the 2.5 actually is very close to the Tdi in the 0-60 time and is actually quicker 0-70, 80, 100. It also was quicker in the passing time (45-65 I think).

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Elf...do you think those times will be the same after 30-40k miles, and a well broken in CR TDI? I'm going to predict not, as the TDI will have improved in efficiency and power output.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I was shocked to read that the 2.5 actually is very close to the Tdi in the 0-60 time and is actually quicker 0-70, 80, 100. It also was quicker in the passing time (45-65 I think).
The flatter power curve of the CR140 is what makes it close in 0 to 60, but other than that, extra shifts and less HP can't compete with the 2.5 @ 170 HP.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Diesels feel faster but often they're not. The low HP figures lose out at higher speeds.