How often do turbos destroy engines?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Why does it seem like every so often we see a thread about someone driving along minding their own business and all of a sudden the engine runs away and the poor guy now has a scrap car? Is this unique to VW's? Is this what we all have to look forward to?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
it's not unique to VW's.. it can and does happen with any turbodiesel..

If you get the engine shut down before it revs to 7k or runs out of oil, it's usually fine..

Both of my tdis did it within 48 hours of each other.. Go figure.. one had 221k on the factory turbo and it was chipped since 140k... the other I haven't put a turbo on yet but the engine survived..

A bad engine is no reason to scrap a car.... Unless it's a $500 car to start with..

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
TDIJetta99 said:
A bad engine is no reason to scrap a car.... Unless it's a $500 car to start with..

...or it's fitted with an 01M

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
TDIJetta99 said:
I have AlanTDI's wagon here with a hole in the block and a BRAND NEW 01M that was installed recently.. :(
How much do you want for that AG4 transmission?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
It's probably a LOT more common on Detroits than VW's. wasn't there a thread here a while back discussing how to stop a runaway?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
FL2AK-tdi said:
It's probably a LOT more common on Detroits than VW's. wasn't there a thread here a while back discussing how to stop a runaway?
Detroits just SOUND like they are running away. :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It's not the turbochargers. Naturally aspirated diesels can also suffer "run-away" as worn rings or bad valve guides let crankcase oil be a "fuel" as the lubricating oil gets ingested into the combustion chamber. It would be just as correct to ask "Why do engines destroy turbos?"

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
while a runaway in an NA diesel is possible and does happen, it's not as sudden and abrupt as a turbocharger failure in a TD.. An NA diesel that runs away has had low compression for a LONG time and has probably given symptoms of such for a while, like hard starts, excessive smoke, oil consumption, etc..

We all know a TDI that runs away will be running perfectly, then suddenly BANG! off we go... no warning, nothing.. just smoke, and rpm's..

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
One way to avoid turbo failure is idle the car for some seconds before shutting off. Turbo spins at very high revolutions and if shut down abruptly (without idlying or slowing), oil flow is intruppted. Without oil that cools and lubricate moving parts, the turbo remain hot, and heat warps metals, and thereby bringing their demise. The same rule applies when you start to move. After starting, idle for few seconds and then pull of gently to the freeway speed. You do not have to put stress on turbo by flooring the pedal. Flooring effect is same as that of an impulse. The key rule is "keep gentle". However, if you are cruzing at 70 mph and hear weired noises, slow down, idle the car, open, hood or bonnet, investigate the noise area, and then shut down. There will be turbo failures when they are exposed to high temperatures, vibrations, and foot stress of the driver. Also it is prudent to clean the turbo vanes periodically. There is instruction for this on this forum somewhere. If you wish to emove the turbo problem forever, all you need to do is remove the turbo and seal to cavatues, making sure that there is passage for the exhaust to reach tail pipe. You will now have a not-turbo diesel that will be a little sluggist than before, pick-up time for 0-60 mph increased from 8 sec to 12-14sec.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Turbochargers on these engines rarely (if ever) fail from heat stress. The EGTs experienced by a diesel are anywhere from 500-1000*F lower than from a similar gasoline fired engine.

Add to that using a good quality synthetic oil, and you just don't find a good reason to blame problems on heat.

You will notice that water cooling passages are not found on the turbochargers on these cars. A water cooled body is available, why would it not be included if needed? VW has never been shy on adding excess plumbing either... hmmm... must be because... it is not necessary.

Oh, and unlike prime time Japanese TV commercials, double posting isn't really necessary, Dodoma.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dodoma said:
If you wish to emove the turbo problem forever, all you need to do is remove the turbo and seal to cavatues, making sure that there is passage for the exhaust to reach tail pipe. You will now have a not-turbo diesel that will be a little sluggist than before, pick-up time for 0-60 mph increased from 8 sec to 12-14sec.
Hahahaha.. I actually drove my other tdi with the turbo removed and an 8v gasser exhaust manifold temporarily in its place. I needed to get it home and had no other way at the time. The car would barely even get itself up to 55mph, let alone accelerate with any authority..

I can't complain.. My factory turbo lasted 221k with me beating the crap out of the car since 120k.. chipped, injectored, and towing other cars since 140k..

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That's because it was in limp mode, giving less fuel then an SDI. In limp mode the computer cuts fuel to the point the turbo can't spool :eek:

-J

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
ummm, the turbo won't spool when it's in the trunk, haha..
But what if you bolted it to the deck and put the intake facing front.

Nah......still won't provide much boost.

I'll move on.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Huh. Well, that was, um, kind of informative. I guess I'll just wait and see. The reason I ask is because I use the car for work often enough that I'm considering selling it to my company; the company has enough money to absorb the repair bill should this happen. I'm also going to be towing a trailer with all of my equipment in it. Even if I don't sell it to myself, I'd still have to have the company pay for repairs as compensation, should the need arise. I was just wondering if a catastrophic financial event was on the horizon or not. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.