7/96 Passat Stafford Virginia $7000

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Yes, of course, this is a TDI.

This is a completed project I've been working on. I bought it with a spun crank pulley, which is as damaging as a broken timing belt. A trip to the machine shop, some new valves, 8 guides and seals, a light skim and back together it went.

Also replaced:
all cam followers
head bolts
all 7 glo plugs
crank pulley and bolt (no damage to crank nose)
radiator (it looked rotten)
both water flanges
thermostat
all hoses and belts
all vacuum lines
clutch kit (didnt need it, but tranny was out anyway)
complete timing belt kit w/rollers and tensioner
water pump
all seals/gaskets that were needed, including front and rear main
cleaned intake manifold
cabin and air filters
"newer" injectors, new injector seals
new p/s high pressure hose
flushed p/s fluid
added correct coolant
probably some other stuff I've forgotten about (this is the
second time I've typed this, as I lost the first version due to
stupid fingers).

Car is white with tan cloth interior. Interior isnt "new" looking, but very clean and presentable. Headliner is sagging a bit by the "c" pillar on right rear. Sunroof works. Original radio which works.

Car pulls to the right a bit, probably due to goofy tires. They are newer tires, but fronts and rears are mismatched. Since the car isnt titled, I cant drive to town for new tires and an alignment. Has alloy aftermarket rims.

I was going to claim the body was rust free, but after washing it today, I saw 2 spots of dime-sized rust on the bottom of the r/f door. There is NO clear coat peel.

All electrics/windows work. Typical yellowish oem headlights.

My digital camera is in my truck, so no pics are available, but everyone in here knows what a white passat looks like.

I've driven this car about 100 miles around the development here making sure all the buggers are ironed out. Might it blow up tomorrow ? Sure, but I doubt it will. If you don't want to spend $7000 for this car, don't waste yours' or my time. There is a banged up Geo Prism down the road for less money if you want that instead.

VIN: WVWGG83A7TB174461

Miles: 173xxx

A hazy maintenance history from previous owner is included, although after I've done all this work, that history is insignificant.

I drive a tractor trailer and don't get home every night. Be patient if you have a question. I would like this sale to be clean and easy (meaning bank check/cash, and the vehicle disappears within 2 weeks or so).

Why am I selling it ? I own 2 tdi's myself, and bought this to putz with. My girlfriend just can't get comfortable driving a stick, so off it goes.

Last edited:
TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Go find a tdi wagon, do half the things I've done to this car, and see if you can still be under 9 or 10 grand. This is a sedan. If you had ran the vin number, you would have been able to determine that yourself.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
***... I must have got a steal on my Passat for 2.5K last year here in California. I can buy a 2000 New Beetle with 100k for that kind of money.:confused:

eurowner

Funny HAHA

I sold my Mothers 1996 Passat TDi Sedan here, 120k, Single owner, one dealer maintained, for $6,800 Just about perfect as you can get.
As I used to work for VWoA, and she's a bit paranoid about a warranty, she got a 2004 TDi-hates the slushbox.

I have seen wagons asking for stupid money that are beat up; interiors, paint, which also need brakes & suspension.

I'll give you $3000.

katman

no offense but...

Wanted to add a third tdi for bio but missed out last week on a 96 passat sedan, 176k, straight and sound. Sold for $3500. With state inspection.

Sounds like you put a lot of work into the car. Sometimes it is just hard to recover effort.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Audi5000TDI said:
***... I must have got a steal on my Passat for 2.5K last year here in California. I can buy a 2000 New Beetle with 100k for that kind of money.:confused:
In another thread you were saying what a money pit your car is. So how good was your deal? Not so great apparently.

As someone who has spent many hours fixing up a sweet A3 that got into an accident, I can see where ninedee_golf_tdi is coming from. After reading this load, it inspires me to keep it.

You know something? If he wants to ask 7K that's his choice. You all are treating him like some first poster newb dumping a car he just scored the previous day!

Truth of the matter is, there are very few of these TDI's, B4 or otherwise, that get sold for short money that do not need a bunch of work. Unless you are willing and able to perform all of this maintenance yourself, it is going to run you some money. Period. The seller gives a very detailed and seemingly honest description. He's being up front! That, in itself is worth something.

nine_dee_golf good luck with the sale although if you feel you have yourself a good driver, and have bonded with it through hours of wrenching, I'd say keep it and enjoy it for yourself for a while, reap the rewards of your labor, keep some miles off of the other cars.

For the record, I have no idea who the seller is AND I'm the one who owns eurowners' mom's old B4. It is still a honey that show years of TLC (I will not drive this car in the snow)! It's been horrible, the car drives beautifully, runs great, and guess what, I paid too much according to some of you guys! When she's ready to part with the B5.5, LMK!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Sprinta is right - - leave ninedee alone. The guy is real - he didn't show up last week. the car is real and that's what he needs to get for it.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I just got home after being away a few days due to operating the company I own, lock, stock and troubles. I've refrained from answering tit-for-tat the comments from the peanut gallery so as not to get a flame war going. No one in here knows me, no one has ever visited my shop, no one has ever put an eye ball on the product I produce. Some of you may have read of my trials and tribulations on various technical issues I've ran into while working on TDI's and have even offered help. For that I thank you. For my lack of complete understanding of how a certain aspect of a TDI is engineered, flame away if you can do better. For those folks who think 7g's is too steep, that must mean you have already done to a TDI passat what I've done to this one and know the $$ cost of the parts. You have done that much work to a car already, havent you ? Personally, I laugh at the immaturity shown in some of the comments contained in this post and others as well but from the same posters. I can ask my price for my cars. I know how much I sank into them, and how much I need to get out of them. The bottom line is when someone drives a car away from my yard, I will know in my heart that I didnt take any short cuts nor jury rig something just to avoid correcting it the right way. Isnt that the type of car you would want to buy ? If not, the Geo Prism is still down the road for less money.

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
I just got home after being away a few days due to operating the company I own, lock, stock and troubles. I've refrained from answering tit-for-tat the comments from the peanut gallery so as not to get a flame war going. No one in here knows me, no one has ever visited my shop, no one has ever put an eye ball on the product I produce. Some of you may have read of my trials and tribulations on various technical issues I've ran into while working on TDI's and have even offered help. For that I thank you. For my lack of complete understanding of how a certain aspect of a TDI is engineered, flame away if you can do better. For those folks who think 7g's is too steep, that must mean you have already done to a TDI passat what I've done to this one and know the $$ cost of the parts. You have done that much work to a car already, havent you ? Personally, I laugh at the immaturity shown in the some of the comments contained in this post and others as well but from the same posters. I can ask my price for my cars. I know how much I sank into them, and how much I need to get out of them. The bottom line is when someone drives a car away from my yard, I will know in my heart that I didnt take any short cuts nor jury rig something just to avoid correcting it the right way. Isnt that the type of car you would want to buy ? If not, the Geo Prism is still down the road for less money.
I feel your pain, but as someone who has built a few racecars and rehabed a project car or two, the ugly reality is you only get back pennies on the dollar for all your work and expertise. Good luck.