2004 Passat Wagon, silver, 277546 miles, NE Ohio $1750

OPF

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
SOLD 2004 Passat Wagon, silver, 277546 miles, NE Ohio $1750

SOLD
First and only love. I mean TDI. I love it. But, with our first kid on the way, my wife wants me to drive something that I'm not always tinkering with.
I work on a boat 6 months of the year, just got back and haven't had time to dive into some of the maintenance and repairs that this car needs, which I'll list in a second. It's been very reliable and I've taken decent care of it, tho I've never really cared much about the cosmetic end of things. I used the car pretty hard. Put 100,000 on it in 5 years, towed, crossed the country at least three times. She's still running strong. A good car for a good home, you know? Priced to move, but also, I'm not in a rush, and once spring rolls around and I can work outside again, maybe I'll get after some of the items.
Things done:
timing and waterpump @ 232,000 (I'll leave the timing belt tools in the car for whoever gets the pleasure next)
BSM delete (with idParts kit) @~190,000
coolant flange replace and coolant flush (now using convenient green, autoparts store coolant!) around 275,000
rear shocks ~190,000
new transmission oil and filter, new psf, around 190,000
camshaft replace by prior owner
trailer hitch and wiring harness
new front drivers side brake caliper ~250,000
new driver side cv axel ~250,000
New brakes and rotors ~260,000
cleaned lift pump ~260,000
Always maintained with Mann oil and air filters, Total Quarts INEO Long Life 5W-30 oil at 5,000 to 10,000 mile intervals
autozone fuel filters new every 20,000 or as needed
consistent use of Diesel Power winter supplement and cetane boost additive the rest of the year
Stuff that needs to be fixed or learned to live with (it can be done)
Biggest item--about 15-20,000 miles ago, the transmission started downshifting from 5 to 4 hard. Was on a very hot day, driving down a steep twisty grade in the Badlands. Doesn't happen always, but often enough that I just manually downshift from 5 to 4 which is smooth as can be. Talked to a shop that does TDI work in New Hampshire, he thinks adding a couple cups of trans fluid should do the trick. I just haven't had time to get under there and do the experiment, plus my shop assistant/wife refuses to roll the car through it's gears while I add fluid from underneath, again (used Valvoline Maxlife when replaced, so fairly cheap to top up).
Next biggest--came back to the car from sea to find a 6 inch crack in windshield emanating from lower left (looking out). Plus, at 14 years and 277,000 miles, that windshield has a ton of nicks and dings.
Third thing: weather stripping or something isn't sealing so floor in rear seat on driver side is wet after it rains, but I cannot locate the point of entry.
Driver side taillight housing is busted.
One of two driver side taillights burns hot (as if braking rather than running) and out ever since I added the wiring harness. Fortunately, there's redundancy.
Its a NE/Mid-west car, so there's rust. Periodically treated underbelly and exposed stuff with corroseal or phospho.
Rear gate release switch on driver door doesn't do anything, so cargo area opened with fob or key.
If I had some time and was going to continue driving this vehicle, I would get around to cleaning the turbo and all that before long. No issues with it, but why not, at this mileage, you know?
Leather seats are nice and scratched up/super comfy, with a 2" tear in the drivers seat.
I'll update as I remember things, or address things, or break more things in the time being.
Can be reached at two zero six, five five zero, eight five five six, or message in TDICLUB.
Happy to answer questions. Will have picks to share/post once I get it to the car wash and get the ice and snow off.

Last edited: