New to European Car - Essential tools?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi everyone, I've owned and worked on a subaru for the last 10 years but am now the proud owner of '14 TDI JSW. I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself and I am looking for the "essential" tools, procedures and tricks i'll need for working on my car. I've ready a fair bit of the DIYs and notice a bunch of larger size sockets required, i think i recall seeing a 31mm or something large like that, maybe it was for the DG Panzer plate? Anyways, it got me thinking, i am going to need some new hardware to keep my car in top shape.

1. what's the best way to lift my car? Looks like my ramps wont work due to the clearance, what's the trick there?

2. What's the best/cheapest way to jack the car? I have the HF aluminum floor jack and read about cutting a hockey puck on a table saw. It looks like you have to lift on the angular frame? is that correct?

3. wheel locks- do the cars come with the tool to get the wheel locks off? I didnt see one in my used setup.

4. i recently ordered this https://slickdeals.net/f/12371698-craftsman-13-pc-external-torx-socket-set-free-store-pickup-21-80?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1 what other new sockets ,etc might i need?
Thanks in advance.

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Etorx are good, don’t forget the triple square and Etorx wrenches.

Vim Tools WTC624 Torx Box Wrench Set - 5 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FN6PGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bkjbCbJP9AHEP

Neiko 10056A XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, S2 Steel | 10-Piece Set | Metric 4mm – 18mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WK9I3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JkjbCbTQ2QPQR

Other than that I’d wait for your first maintenance interval or repair, check out some forum threads and/or YouTube videos and make your tool selections based on your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I agree. I have an older Craftsman torx set and a set of XZN bits from e-bay. Now I buy what I need for a particular job. I needed a 9mm 12 point socket to remove my crankshaft sensor earlier this year.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Your car should have come with the special bit with the other car jack tools. If you don't have one - goto the dealership to order one, or replace the special bolts with the non-special ones from the dealership. You may have to have the shop take the specials out.

My 2015 Golf did not require a special key bolt, so you might want to check first if one is required.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Metric socket set and wrenches, Torques ratchet set, VCDS, Bentley Manual,
All other tools get them as you need them. Most DIY threads and posts have tools listed for the job as well as the parts and the part #'s. don't go buying a bunch of scam on tools that you will never use. Get what you need as you need them. Harbor Freight is fantastically cheap and for the most part, the only tools worth your $$$, some things like an impact are worth paying up a few more bucks for a quality depending on your frequency of usage. I love my Ryobi electric impact, I would not use it if I still did car work day in and out like in the past, but for a shade tree mech, it’s awesome. So point is, buy a respectably quality tool for your budget on some things like impacts and Taps etc... but go cheap as they come on things like sockets for normal use, Sometimes you need that hard core impact socket with a 3 foot breaker bar, then go buy that tool and so forth, but try and save $ VCDS cable is not cheap so spend it where it counts.

Last edited:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
The ramps from Advance Auto Parts? work on my dads 2017...the Rhino Tough ones

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Those Rhino ramps are decent, they hold my truck up with no issue. I highly recommend picking up hose clamp pliers, they're a pretty decent time saver when you have a spring clamp in a hard to reach spot. A small and medium size torque wrench is also handy to have.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
The store bought ramps are ok, but I always had problems doing certain jobs.

So, I ended up building a set of ramps that I leave out in the garage. I just drive up on them. The car is level and I have plenty of room to do about anything I need to do.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That seems like an extreme solution, but I like it. Would make it nice for exhaust work, brake fluid flush.

Another option is to mount the plastic ramps onto long 2x10/12.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I'm feeling a bit like a fool here. I've had 2 or 3 registered and running VWs for most of the last 13 years and I've never used/needed an E-torx wrench.

Are these bolts common on the newer TDIs or did I just get lucky enough to never need remove one in my 99-05s Mk4's and B5.5?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I'm feeling a bit like a fool here. I've had 2 or 3 registered and running VWs for most of the last 13 years and I've never used/needed an E-torx wrench.

Are these bolts common on the newer TDIs or did I just get lucky enough to never need remove one in my 99-05s Mk4's and B5.5?
The only place I've ever needed it was to swap a golf hatch... Couldn't tell you where another one was.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
The only place I've ever needed it was to swap a golf hatch... Couldn't tell you where another one was.
Thanks

Of course, now I just realized I may need to get some. I have a replacement hatch for my Passat Wagon sitting in the garage.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Also get a good air/battery impact. The HF Earthquake XT battery impact is incredible - stronger than my Mac air impact.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
c-clamp pliers can make for a versatile tool other than their intended uses.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hose clamp pliers for spring loaded clamps is a MUST unless you like your fingernails mashed when one comes off the channelocks that are jsut a tiny bit to small for the job!