3.0 TDI - differences between BKN and ASB?

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Hi all,

I'm picking up an A4 B7 3.0TDI with a blown tiptronic next week as a donor car for something. It has the 201hp BKN engine rather than the 229hp ASB I was expecting. What is puzzling me is what the difference is between the two engines?

As far as I can tell from Etka, they have the same heads, cams, pistons, injectors, CR pump, and turbocharger (KKK BV50) so is the difference purely software? If so, why does the ASB remap to 30hp higher than the BKN? :confused: I've seen 284hp vs 255hp from a stage1 remap on some sites.

Has anyone tuned the BKN? There's very little info on it on the web.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Asb has smaller cp1 pump while bkn has big cp3. They make same amount of power with chip only. Also limited by turbo and flywheel (manual) to 280-290hp /550-600nm max output power.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Thank you :) So a bit like the AFN vs AHH then where the lower power engine has a bigger pump. For emissions maybe?

280hp would be plenty tbh. I have found a couple of posts suggesting the BV50 is a bit of a pain to swap because of it's actuator so I'll probably leave it mostly alone apart from exhaust and FMIC and see what it does from there.

Hopefully the B7 electronics aren't too complicated to put it in something else, but I figure if people can put the 2.7TT in to a B7 it can't be that advanced!

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi Michaela!

I saw a car on ebay the other day that you might like,

Theres a mint condition Audi A6 Avant (C5) with 2.7T S4 engine (manual, 230bhp) at £2750, the guy might drop it bit, fantastic service history.

Santorin blue, could be made into a 400bhp machine quite easily.

Ben

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Hi Ben, funnily enough, I already have a blue Allroad 2.7T from which I'm pinching the engine for something else. The Allroad will be going TDI either with an AVF, or possibly this BKN :)