Why bother to accept a buy back?

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
But the bottom line is that I own something that may not be available (certainly is not available new right now). In my opinion, that makes it more valuable.
But with today's low fuel prices, we own something that is not in demand. Just read the newspaper: article after article about how new car buyers are selecting trucks and SUVs. Do you really think that used vehicle buyers want something different than what new vehicle buyers want?

When fuel prices are high, economy cars sell. When fuel prices are low, economy cars languish on the back of the lot. We own economy cars.,,,

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
But with today's low fuel prices, we own something that is not in demand. Just read the newspaper: article after article about how new car buyers are selecting trucks and SUVs. Do you really think that used vehicle buyers want something different than what new vehicle buyers want?

When fuel prices are high, economy cars sell. When fuel prices are low, economy cars languish on the back of the lot. We own economy cars.,,,
TDI owners are not typical car buyers.

I know people that bought their TDI as prices were falling last year. And fuel prices will not stay low. The next crisis in the MiddleEast will begin pushing it back up. Then those that bought a quad cab tank, Yukon Denial, or Escalade will start whining and blaming politicians for their bad choice, again!

I know what you are saying, but there are still lots of people that buy microcars, small crossovers, and regular sedans (and yes, wagons) these days. I see lots of new Fiat 500, Nissan Jukes, Mini, Scion, and Chevy Spark, Sonic, Trax, or Ford Fiesta, Focus, C-Max etcetera with temporary paper licenses in the rear windows. Today's drivers are still buying small.

TDI drivers have experienced surprising torque, with fuel efficiency, in a tight and well mannered, easy to manuever, quiet vehicle. Many just won't accept a buy back, and will resist the "fix" unless administratively forced.

Based on what I am hearing in this thread, the people that are seriously considering the buyback are willing to take advantage of an offer "too good to turn down", which is a sensible position, but I predict that the buy back won't be that good. Many have high miles and ready to move on. If they do, they'll miss that torque!

Last edited:

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
I hope..... that I can roll right in to a 2017 passat tdi... And all is good.

However nothing wrong with my 2013 passat tdi, and increasing the regens will not make or break the car. Now its set for 10,000 miles for ad blue refill, which is extremely long in the diesel world.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
TDI owners are not typical car buyers.

I know people that bought their TDI as prices were falling last year. And fuel prices will not stay low. The next crisis in the MiddleEast will begin pushing it back up. Then those that bought a quad cab tank, Yukon Denial, or Escalade will start whining and blaming politicians for their bad choice, again!

I know what you are saying, but there are still lots of people that buy microcars, small crossovers, and regular sedans (and yes, wagons) these days. I see lots of new Fiat 500, Nissan Jukes, Mini, Scion, and Chevy Spark, Sonic, Trax, or Ford Fiesta, Focus, C-Max etcetera with temporary paper licenses in the rear windows. Today's drivers are still buying small.

TDI drivers have experienced surprising torque, with fuel efficiency, in a tight and well mannered, easy to manuever, quiet vehicle. Many just won't accept a buy back, and will resist the "fix" unless administratively forced.

Based on what I am hearing in this thread, the people that are seriously considering the buyback are willing to take advantage of an offer "too good to turn down", which is a sensible position, but I predict that the buy back won't be that good. Many have high miles and ready to move on. If they do, they'll miss that torque!
I want to keep my car and throw a nice tune on it maybe even a exhaust system ;)
After that is all done get 50mpg.:cool:

But again, *it depends* on what the buyback offer is. It also depends on what incentive they give to trade to a GTI. At least on the highway they get decent mpgs. Read some reviews that the mk7 gets mid 30s. For someone who drives less than 20k per year that's pretty good. Get on the throttle however and it'll dip into the teens.

That's honestly where tdi's shine. I've been driving short trips and doing jack rabbit starts at stoplights and I'm still getting hand calculated mpg numbers in the upper 30s (last two tanks were 36-37mpg). My typical mpg numbers with a 30 mile commute with a mix of highway and roral roads I got a constant 41-42mpg. There's really a much less dramatic change in mileage between city and highway numbers with a diesel.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
I've said it elsewhere, but I'll take the buy back. This winter we had the intercooler freeze up or throw water into the motor, and had the winter IC kit installed under warranty. However, given I've heard there is still the probability of it happening again, unless you drill the IC, I'm fed up. I may have considered drilling if dieselgate hadn't already happened. Just an additional worry I don't need.

My biggest concern is trying to figure out how to maximize the buyback while getting out of the VW brand. In MA, we have the 'sales tax credit' to consider, a substantial savings when dealing with new vehicles - but I don't want to trade our JSW for another VW. My wife and I both want out.

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
In my case, the Check Engine light is coming on every few days, and my car has 127K on the odo. Every time that light comes on, my first thought is that there's going to be another $1000 to fix it.

If the deal is good, I'm thinking it would make more sense to get into something new, where I'm sure I won't have any big repair expense for a while.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
First worrying and then ignoring the check engine light is not a good approach. You should read the code.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If I could I'd like to get into a GMC Canyon diesel. Pricey though.

This site will be an important tool for me to make an educated decision.
If VW made a decent offer today, I would, at least, be willing to listen. One of the local dealers has a Canyon diesel lnog bed in the color I want but know it won't be there by the end of July. If all VW offers is FMV as of Sept 1, I won't give up either car, for now. Lots of miles left in both of them.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Jaguar has new SUV and comes in diesel model.... 2.0T. Starts at $40K.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/jaguar_f-pace_2017

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-pace/index.html

Model: 2017 Jaguar F-PACE
MSRP: $40,990
Horsepower: 180 hp @ 4,000 rpm
Torque 318 lb-ft @ 1,750-2,500 rpm
Towing capacity: 5,290 lbs
Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder diesel
Curb weight: 3,913 lbs
Fuel tank capacity: 15.9 gal
Cargo volume: 35.5 ft³
Transmission: 8-Speed-ZF® automatic
0-60 MPH time 8.2 Sec

I saw Motor Week TV show; looks cool, got good review.
Don't get me wrong, no way would I buy one, but it's an option.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Jaugar has new SUV and comes in diesel model.... 2.0T. Starts at $40K.
How many people here who bought VW TDI's were shopping for a car that starts at 40K give me a break! Price wise a long way from your JSW. So basically who cares?

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
How many people here who bought VW TDI's were shopping for a car that starts at 40K give me a break! Price wise a long way from your JSW.
No s**t Sherlock, it cost a lot more, and no I am not going to give you a
BREAK.... It is just a post ... Get over it. Really man chill out... I did not
say it was a direct equivlant or value or go out and buy one. HOWEVER it
is interesting new diesels are coming into the market. What is wrong with
you?

It is a 2.0L diesel, about the same size, more HP and Torque.... That is all.

PS go price a new truck gas or diesel... $60K is not uncommon.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
You should chill. I really don't think many of the VW TDI crowd are shopping for one of those either.
There's been a few members here that are looking at the chevrolet colorado diesel... guess where they start price wise? Put some decent options on it and it too gets pricy.

Point of this post is both of you should just step back and think how important the argument is. Relax... it's a opinion. Everyone has their own perspective on things. They also all have different ideas on how much is too much for a car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
How many people here who bought VW TDI's were shopping for a car that starts at 40K give me a break! Price wise a long way from your JSW. So basically who cares?
Way back in '02 when I bought my Jetta wagon I traded a '96 Audi A4 Quattro. The other two cars I considered were a BMW X5 and an Audi A4 Avant. Both were way more expensive than the Jetta.

Not everyone chooses to buy all the car they can afford.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Jaguar has new SUV and comes in diesel model.... 2.0T. Starts at $40K.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/jaguar_f-pace_2017

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-pace/index.html

Model: 2017 Jaguar F-PACE
MSRP: $40,990
Horsepower: 180 hp @ 4,000 rpm
Torque 318 lb-ft @ 1,750-2,500 rpm
Towing capacity: 5,290 lbs
Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder diesel
Curb weight: 3,913 lbs
Fuel tank capacity: 15.9 gal
Cargo volume: 35.5 ft³
Transmission: 8-Speed-ZF® automatic
0-60 MPH time 8.2 Sec

I saw Motor Week TV show; looks cool, got good review.
Don't get me wrong, no way would I buy one, but it's an option.
My opinion is that given the sucess of the GM baby duramax in the medium trucks, GM will start to offer a diesel in an SUV based on that platform. Probably mid 2018 as a 2019 model. Since the trucks are already around $40K (US), I would not be surprised to see the SUV in that same range. Current discussion on the Colorado website is how low anyone has paid for one of the diesels. IIRC, the lowest was around $36K US.

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Do I want to give back my TDI? No.

But if there is a mandated solution, between a recall or some made up repair, I'm doing the buy-back recall.

With the last software fix, I notice that the vehicle runs rough on regens. And in my case worse fuel economy. I don't see a possible fix for our cars. Well I do, but I don't feel comfortable in having it done.

So the least-bad solution I see is the buy-back

Would I buy another VW diesel (if the 2016+ are available)? Yes, as I quite like the car. But if it is not available, I'm going a different way.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Not everyone chooses to buy all the car they can afford.
Exactly.
And in our case, fun to drive and operating efficiency are high on the list.​
Our CX-5 is fun to drive too but the cost per mile is nearly double that of the TDI. We could have bought an X-3 instead but the fun factor would have been overshadowed by the lower mpg and it's thirst for premium fuel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My opinion is that given the sucess of the GM baby duramax in the medium trucks, GM will start to offer a diesel in an SUV based on that platform. Probably mid 2018 as a 2019 model. Since the trucks are already around $40K (US), I would not be surprised to see the SUV in that same range. Current discussion on the Colorado website is how low anyone has paid for one of the diesels. IIRC, the lowest was around $36K US.
Problem is GM doesn't have a truck-based midsize SUV. The look-alike Acadia/Traverse/Equinox are all transverse-engine front drive platforms. Don't know if they'd bother to adapt the Duramax to fit in that platform.

scottysize

TDI
Passat SE/Sunroof
Why am I definitely selling the Passat back? Because, if they could have fixed the problem without losing HP or MPGs, they would have done so by now. Think about it... why has this cheat been in place since they began re-selling the TDIs in the US? Because it's the only way they could get the HP and/or MPGs, so, the fix will lower the HP and/or the MPGs. Mark my words. Something will be lost! It won't be the same car when you get it fixed.

I will be taking the buyback when it's offered hopefully next month. I've already purchased a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, so I'm good. Is it less MPGs? Sure. (I'm getting 27 in my Ram and the Passat was getting 38.) Is the Ram what I want? Yes. Love it way more than the Passat. If they force me to trade in the Passat for the buyback (as other buyback programs have had in the past), I'll get the cheapest thing on the lot and sell it to CarMax.

ibbuckshot

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
500 cash and 500 service

I have not been on here since last year some time. I now read that there was a deadline for a 500 /500 deal from VW that ended in April 16. Does anyone know if there was any kind of extension? I sure would like to take advantage of it.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have not been on here since last year some time. I now read that there was a deadline for a 500 /500 deal from VW that ended in April 16. Does anyone know if there was any kind of extension? I sure would like to take advantage of it.
Nope you missed it. I even got a notification in the mail last year. So what can I say to you besides it pays to be aware.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Pretty much what MichaelB said...

However some people have called vwoa customer service and might have gotten a extention on the cards. But this far out I don't know if they would help. Might be worth a shot.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
It's too bad you didn't join this group sooner!! It has been a topic of discussion on many threads.

You were not notified only because you moved a couple of times or bought the car used. It is really too bad that you missed the chance to register for the package. It was remarkable to get $500 credit card and another $500 gift card for VW dealership stuff.

I am contemplating buying an OEM Continental tire to match my spare (full size in the JSW). Hey, that is worth some money!

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I was thinking they may resell them in China or some similar place where they don't care if breathing is dangerous to your health