2002 Jetta tdi won't crank

akersanth

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I recently made a post on here about purchasing a 2002 VW tdi for 350 dollars. I purchased it. Supposedly the engine is knocking loudly but when I put a battery (did not fit the car but hooked up) in it everything lights up but the starter wont even click or clunk. This car has only 156000 miles on it and I was told it was run low on oil but it is only a quart low and no one has added any to it since it was parked. I would like to diagnose it but first I need to get it to start....lol......any help is appreciated:D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
If it's not clicking I'd check the little plug on the solenoid on the side of the starter motor, make sure it's getting 12v when the key is in the crank position. Other than that check the live and earth connections from the battery.

akersanth

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I have not tried the wrench and turning the crank....things are so hectic right now i was doing good just to get the car home...I checked the plug didnt find anything out of the ordinary had to buy a new test meter so I will check it asap and post about my findings.

akersanth

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
OK took a long time to get the car to where I could work on it. I popped it in gear and had someone pop the clutch and it does turn very easily. So now I guess I am going to check grounds and the starter solenoid.