TDI I acquired over the summer, repairs, repairs, now runaway. Just looking for input

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I've seen on several threads that you should try disconnecting the battery leads and shorting them together for about 5 mins. This is supposed to drain all power form any capacitors that are holding a charge. I figure that you have nothing to loose at this point, might as well as give it a try. My .02.

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Tried resetting it again, this time I brought the other key with me and tried clearing it out with each one, no dice. I also took the key for my car out of my pocket and left it elsewhere in case that was causing issues, no difference.

I have the battery disconnected now, going to let it sit for a half hour or so, dont really see any way to get the terminals to touch each other.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Tried resetting it again, this time I brought the other key with me and tried clearing it out with each one, no dice. I also took the key for my car out of my pocket and left it elsewhere in case that was causing issues, no difference.

I have the battery disconnected now, going to let it sit for a half hour or so, dont really see any way to get the terminals to touch each other.
jumper cables, be careful not to jumper the battery, just the 2 big wires

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
FINALLY got it running, maybe I should have know it all along, I dont remember having to do it with any other car with an immobilizer problem, but I did an auto scan on the car again, and now it was showing an issue with the Key in the 17-Instruments controller. So I cleared that code, then when into Engine any tried clearing the Immobilizer again, but it came right back. I decided to try the key again anyway now that I cleared the code out of the Instruments controller and it fired right up even with the Immobilizer code in the engine controller. I cleared that out while it was running and it didn't return.

So again, not sure if thats what I should have been doing in the first place or what, I don't remember ever having to go into the Instruments controller before on any of my cars, but whatever, it runs and sounds just fine thankfully.

Thanks for everyone for all your help and suggestions, it was definitely getting a little frustrating on this end.

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 97 Passat, 03 Jetta
I you ever have any more immobilizer problems you can't solve, send your ecu, cluster, and keys to Jetta ,97 in Dallas and he can straighten it out for you. I bought a 2002 Jetta last year that would not run because of the immobilizer. The guy took it to a dealer and first they replaced the injection pump (still no go of course) and then they told him he needed a new ECU to the tune of around $2200. The guy said screw that, had the car towed home, and put it on EBAY. I got it for a sweet price because it was not running. I had already checked it out with VAG-COM and saw it was an immobilizer issue. I took out the ecu and cluster in the guys driveway, Sent them with the keys to Jetta ,97 and for $150 he straightened everything out and also programed the IC needles to light up when the ingnition is on. I got them back, installed them in the car, and drove off in my 1/2 price beauty.

blackty

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi (sold)--2005 Jetta 2.5 Tiptronic---1993 GMC Typhoon---2003 2500HD Silverado---2012 WRX Wagon
Congrats Morgan...Jim