drained my manual 6 speed trans fluid today

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I tried posting this in maintenance section did'nt work.?
So yeah drained and filled all 2,2 Liters of old mystery fluid out today i call it Mystery fluid for all that are viewing this because its Just that lol bought the 2012VW TDI a few months ago with 100,000km's and anytime i buy a used pre-owned vehicle i jump on fluids and filters. So today i refiled it using the pricey O.E.M. VW fluid Part # number on bottle G 052 512 A2 Gear Oil and Yes it was pricey at nearly $30.00 a bottle Canadian i bought 3 drained & refilled the trans and it shifts a little easyier so no Question it did help the shifting & it did also seem to help performance wise to. with a tap of the throttle it got up to 70-80-90 km's pretty darn Quick.!! im not kidding.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Oil and filter changes are always good for about 20 placebo ponies.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Don't get too obsessed with the price of VW gear oil. It's a very good deal considering most people change it at 160km/100k miles just as a preventative measure.

Also, the VW G-052.xxx.xx family of gear oils are 100% synthetic and are a bit thinner than the old VW G-050 75W-90 gear oil, which was also 100% synthetic.

I also moved this thread to the 'Fuel & Lubes' forum because the post is more about VW gear lube than about the process of changing it. It will get more views there.

Drive more and worry less.

:)

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...ditto for a good detailing/waxing. My car is ALWAYS faster with a clean, smooth surface.

I once had a piano salesman (high end $120k Steinway) say that a high-gloss ebony surface had a brighter tone than the mat finish ebony. Yes, he said that, to a committee of concert pianists purchasing pianos for a school of music.

johnsTDI: Your location, "Canada" is vague. How about a more specific location? It might help further discussions.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Thinner oils offer less viscous resistance, so you technically should be losing less horsepower to the wheels... but I can basically guarantee you that it's not anything you can measure.

johnsTDI: Your location, "Canada" is vague. How about a more specific location? It might help further discussions.
Hello neighbor!

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
Thinner oils offer less viscous resistance, so you technically should be losing less horsepower to the wheels... but I can basically guarantee you that it's not anything you can measure.
"…basically guarantee"—how wonderful! How is a basic guarantee different than an advanced guarantee?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Full Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-80 API GL-4

I tried posting this in maintenance section did'nt work.?
So yeah drained and filled all 2,2 Liters of old mystery fluid out today i call it Mystery fluid for all that are viewing this because its Just that lol bought the 2012VW TDI a few months ago with 100,000km's and anytime i buy a used pre-owned vehicle i jump on fluids and filters. So today i refiled it using the pricey O.E.M. VW fluid Part # number on bottle G 052 512 A2 Gear Oil and Yes it was pricey at nearly $30.00 a bottle Canadian i bought 3 drained & refilled the trans and it shifts a little easyier so no Question it did help the shifting & it did also seem to help performance wise to. with a tap of the throttle it got up to 70-80-90 km's pretty darn Quick.!! im not kidding.
Just a thought: this VW manual transmission oil part # G 052 512 A2, is it so mysterious or is it one that conforms to the following specs?

Full Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-80 API GL-4

So would the following reputable manual transmission oils that meet the above spec also be adequate for your application? (some at much more competitive price):

* RAVENOL MTF-3 75w manual transmission fluid ($14.54/liter) (specs)

* BG Syncro Shift II

* Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75W

There are, I would think, other adequate brands, at also more competitive prices per liter/quart than the one VW branded :)