Non 505.1 oil on pd (bew)

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
Hi siik, Canadiantire regularly has mobil tdt 5w40 on "clearance" for about $34
(https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mobil-1-turbo-dieselengine-oil-4-4-l-0287910p.html)

It isn't a 505.01 rated oil but its very good oil that lots of people on the forum run in their tdi also rotella t6 is a good choice. I can check when I get home but I remember my owners manual for my mk3 lists 10,000kms oil change interval, especially were we live (I'm in Montreal) the winter temperatures are extreme. I wouldn't want to run old / soot loaded oil in the middle of winter when the car has to start and run from -30c.

I don't know how much mileage you drive per year or the kind of driving (city/highway) but for me I drive about 12,000kms-14,000kms per year and lots of traffic going / coming home from work, so I change my oil right before winter, that way I have fresh oil and the best cold flow for the winter temperature.

Where are you finding delo 400 le in QC? I have only seen it in the USA at walmart. I did some reading a little while ago for my own car delo 400 le 5w40 is good oil and I would consider running it if I was able to find it around MTL but with a BEW especially I would pay a little more for good quality oil, its not worth it for a few dollars more per oil change to risk the cam.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
NEVER change it less than 10,000 miles or 2 years... EVER.
Lowest wear occurs with 10-15K, 20-25K if you support the changes with oil analysis.
Hey DBW I've seen very similar info to this spoken about before, either here or on bitog, what is the reasoning behind this? I know, you know your stuff, but it just seems illogical to me as the oil should be doing a better job protecting wear when fresh without having to deal with contaminants, especially for someone like me or siik who live in very cold climates in northern Canada.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
Concur -- I run 20 - 25K intervals with stellar UOAs with TDT.
What does your daily drive consist of if you had to guesstimate percentage of traffic (city) vs highway. Are you also running the same filter for the 20-25K?

That is really impressive, I guess I just worry about stretching my intervals out because of having to deal with ****ty winters.