ABS Module replacement - Golf Cabriolet 2000

Kumudu

TDI
VW Golf Cabriolet 2000
hi All
Thanks for providing your valuable advice.

Issue:
I have my ABS light on with rear right sensor fault code (G44). I have changed the rear right ABS sensor and the ABS ring but the error is still there (intermittent). I haven't had a chance to go through the wiring yet but will be doing it over the weekend. I have done lots of research and I am convinced that the ABS is faulty. I have got a used ABS module from a wrecker. The ABS module part number (VW) is 3A0 907 379 D and the Ate (i.e. the manufacturer) part number is 10 0946-0311 3. This ABS controller is attached to the pump so it looks like a single unit. In this car it is in the engine bay on the passenger side (Australian model) to the left of the coolant reservoir.

Now the questions ............
1. When I change the ABS module do I need to code it? I have seen in other forums that this is the case.
2. If yes, specific instructions on what to change (I have VCDS)
3. What is the correct procedure/steps for bleeding the pump after installing the new/second hand pump with VCDS?

I know how to do two man bleeding with engine on. Have done it before and all good. Question 3 is about bleeding the ABS pump as the one I got from the wrecker will definitely have air in it.

The closest information I found regarding 'pump bleeding' was in VWvortex and some of the steps are bit confusing (https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ighlight=ABS)

Thanks again and any help is greatly appreciated.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So, there is a thread nearly identical to this, I'll tell you what I told the other one.
Track down the wireing.
Your dealing with wiring in a car that's 20 years old now. Dont throw parts at it before knowing 100% what the issue is. Extremely high chance that it's a wiring issue and probably at the connector or under the car.
Get a $20 volt meter.
I just this last week has the exact same issue with the front passenger on a 2001 euro van. The customer had done the brakes themselves a year ago, came in for a flush and new pads because the abs light was on. Scanned it. Same results. Pulled wheel off, the wire for the abs on the pad had come out of the clip and rubbed on the wheel. The pads were about half way though so I soldered and shrink wrap them back together. I charged the customer for my time and that's it. And told them that I wont charge them for that hour when they come back for the actual brake job.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If you put the car in the air, and spin the wheel, does the ABS module see the rotation?

The ABS harness on that car is mostly self contained. A few connections to the CEII block, and then wires out to the sensors.

It's always a good idea to do a before / after autoscan so you an adjust the soft coding as needed. I don't think the Cabrios ever got CAN like the Transporter / EuroVan, so there's probably not many coding options to begin with.

BTW, if you are changing the module anyway this is a great time to install one with EDL from a GTI / GLX car.

-J

Kumudu

TDI
VW Golf Cabriolet 2000
In the last few weeks, I have checked the sensor values by going in to ABS module 001 settings. Monitored them while running and there is an intermittent issue with the passenger side rear. I have changed the sensor and the sensor wheel and also checked the wiring. Issue is still there. The only remaining place is the ABS module bad soldering. It seems from various forum posts that ABS modules manufactured during this period (2000) can suffer from bad soldering. Therefore I have decided (and already got a second hand) to change the module. So the questions I have now are:

1. New ABS module needs to be coded?
2. If yes, what exactly needs to be changed.
3. How to bleed the pump using VCDS.

Has anyone done an ABS module replacement on a MK3? The module used in my car is exactly the same as MK3. Appreciate if anyone can shed some light.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Make the coding match, if it's different. Bleeding procedure is the same as any other ATE Mk20 ABS sytem. Basic settings and step through the blocks.

If it's bad solder joints on the board, I'd try reflowing them before replacing the whole module.

-J