www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 25th, 2020, 09:09   #1
ddiffe

Question 2015 Driver Assistance Package Upgrade?

2015 Golf Sportwagen Model S TDI: After getting rear-ended, the body shop charged $250 to test the sensors before re-installing them into the new rear bumper. Sensors? What sensors? My Model S doesn’t use any sensors. Further research found that Driver Assistance Package with Forward Collision Warning and Park Distance Control (Front & Rear) was a $695 option on both the 2015 TDI SE and SEL models....but not on the Model S. The factory in Mexico must have installed the sensors in the bumpers of all models. I assume the software is the same on all Golf TDI models and the optional features are turned on or off. Question: Does anyone know how to “turn on” the Driver Assistance Package in the Model S software?
ddiffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 16:35   #2
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Or they added a charge for something that's not there...

If they are installed:
DAP for 2015 is pretty limited. Unless you added the front facing sensors, all you would gain is a rather annoying beep when you engage reverse and come close (or not so close) to anything. You might also lose a third of the field of view in the screen when engaging reverse.
Old March 25th, 2020, 20:26   #3
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK7 Golf S

What did they test them with? And if they tested them can you now go in and argue that they don't work so they need to fix it .

What did they connect them to? I don't know if it's possible to confirm that your car even has the wiring in place but I wouldn't be surprised if it does not... at least based on non-present wiring in my Golf S.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cuzoe; March 25th, 2020 at 20:30.
Cuzoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 21:27   #4
Nuje
Veteran Member

If the sensors are installed, wouldn't the little "dots" on the exterior of the bumper be showing? If that was my car, I'd already have the bumper off to check out these phantom "sensors".

And like Cuzoe said, how could they be tested without the wiring....particularly given that the wiring would have to lead to a BCM module that isn't configured for any DAP features.

Sounds....sketchy.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 09:30   #5
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
(Since deleted by tomo366, I assume(?))
My 2015 Jetta TDI SEL came with the DAP that included parking assist and there are no sensors showing on the exterior of the bumpers
Mk6 Jetta came with parking distance sensors?

I had no idea that was even an option on Mk6 cars.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit

Last edited by Nuje; March 26th, 2020 at 12:44.
Old March 26th, 2020, 10:31   #6
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Mk6 Jetta came with parking distance sensors?

I had no idea that was even an option on Mk6 cars.
TDI Driver Assistance & Lighting Package
$1,690 MSRP
Forward Collision Warning System
Blind Spot Monitor
Interior Ambient Lighting
Bi-xenon Headlights w/AFS
Chris Farnham requested this car for me and told me initially he didn’t think they would build it.....also is a 6 Speed Manual Car....very rare and expensive option
no Park distance sensors visible car does have rear cross traffic alert and rear camera
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!

Last edited by tomo366; March 27th, 2020 at 07:33.
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 05:37   #7
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Cars that have PDC have round holes in the bumper. Blind spot monitoring is a radar unit BEHIND the bumper on both sides. Camera on a Golf (wagon or not) is inside the VW emblem.

VW is not big on building a car with actual hardware for a feature that is not active. I would be more suspect that the body shop doesn't know exactly what was installed and is charging for something you don't have.

Just my opinion

Jason
Old March 27th, 2020, 12:38   #8
Nuje
Veteran Member

Exactly my thought. Watch some VW / Audi (and probably most manufacturers) assembly line videos on YouTube and you see how everything now is scanned before it's installed.

If you don't have the "dots" on your bumper, you don't have parking sensors. And if you don't have parking sensors....they charged you $250 to test the functionality of....air?

I'd be in there to ask them for the printout results of their "tests"...and when they say "oh - there's no printout", I'd be asking them to show me where/how they "tested"; and then to point out one of these sensors on my car.

See how far they go in the same vein as George trying to convince Susan's parents that he had a place in the Hamptons.

Old March 28th, 2020, 06:24   #9
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

More specifically, we have had a few orders mess up because of confusing catalog. Parts guys are not wasting time figuring it out for body shops that call and get nasty.

Jason