www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old March 25th, 2020, 03:02   #5506
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

dont know how i stumbled into this giant mess of a thread but i got my popcorn right here
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 06:31   #5507
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
ON-Grid was cheap during the last "great recession". My wife's from "The County". I appreciate the fact that your current governor reversed the previous governor's scrapping of Net Metering. We've got a 4.6kW array destined for our property in Emera territory. When my wife inquired what Emera wanted to know before we install PV, they basically said: Show us a diagram of how it all works. (I did an NEC compliance diagram for my 4.4kW, the 4.6kW is nearly the same diagram, I can probably handle that). It was like a dream come true when they installed fiber optic internet going past our farm for $60/mo. (Wish I had fiber in the suburbs in South Florida!) I pay more for cable internet with slower speeds in FL...
Honestly, that depends on how far you drive each month. I bought an e-Golf because my commute had gotten so short it was murder on the TDI engine. I'm averaging ~500 miles per month in my e-Golf. That would require 4 south facing 280W PV panels. I've got 4.4kW on the roof (installed in 2013), so I have a baseline knowledge of what my 220W panels will produce. Each of my 220W panels collects enough sunshine to drive 3.25 miles per day. (conservatively speaking, when averaged over an entire year!).
Price them again in a few weeks after the dust starts to settle from the current pandemic. My wife and I went with a Low-E (+argon) setup in our hurricane impact windows back in 2010 when the economy was in the dumps, and eager contractors could be easily found. We also insulated and weather sealed "this old house" which helps more than most people think.
Land up here was truly dirt cheap when my folks moved here in '72 from Cambridge. Despite being broke, they begged, borrowed, and begged enough to buy additional properties and did quite well selling them to other young folks moving up north. When the markets are crazy like they are now, I'm reminded of how land is a solid investment. Glad to hear your solar install approval went smoothly! It must be very gratifying to see sunshine fill your "tank".
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 07:13   #5508
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

With the required hurricane impact protection code in Florida I have noticed new builds over a certain price point are dropping "shutters" in favor of impact rated windows.

We already called and talked at length with Tesla on solar and battery wall. Biggest stumbling block is adding another bill after moving several states and furnishing a house. But it has to happen soon, before the tax credits all expire.

Added incentive on the eGolf is neighbor a couple houses down drives one. It has the range to get to work and back each day with "free" charge at work. Having it charge off solar would be a bonus.

That said we have a conventional 2300sq/ft house with a FPL bill $70-$120. Brother inlaw has seen $400-500 bills. So we are already electric scrooges and that makes the payback on solar harder than, say my wife's brother.

Jason
Old March 25th, 2020, 12:35   #5509
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Price them again in a few weeks after the dust starts to settle from the current pandemic. My wife and I went with a Low-E (+argon) setup in our hurricane impact windows back in 2010 when the economy was in the dumps, and eager contractors could be easily found. We also insulated and weather sealed "this old house" which helps more than most people think.
Thanks for the suggestion. We did our double pane windows upgrade a few years ago so it is not going to happen anytime soon.

I need to research more regarding if anything worthwhile I can do inside the attic such as putting some material to reflect the heat back into the atmosphere in the summer (May through October for our area).
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 06:59   #5510
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

one easy solution is an attic fan. Blow the hot air outside instead of letting it sit under the roof. I put one in shortly after we moved down here. I need to replace it before summer as it's burned out after 20+ years.
Old March 26th, 2020, 11:01   #5511
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
one easy solution is an attic fan. Blow the hot air outside instead of letting it sit under the roof. I put one in shortly after we moved down here. I need to replace it before summer as it's burned out after 20+ years.
Yes thanks. We got it installed a few years ago. It is thermostatically turned on at 90 F attic temperature.
Old March 26th, 2020, 11:28   #5512
truman
Veteran Member

I have mine set to turn on at 85
Humidistat also good for high humidity events
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 05:40   #5513
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Couple of neighbors installed twearly birds instead of proper attic fans. I think I may visit this idea after we get the builder in to fix all their eff ups!

Jason
Old March 27th, 2020, 14:56   #5514
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

On a lighter note, though still EV related, I modified my daughter's Mustang Power Wheels to run on 2 20v DeWalt batteries... low voltage isolation circuit board on the left and motor speed controller on the right
[IMG][/IMG]

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2020, 06:21   #5515
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
On a lighter note, though still EV related, I modified my daughter's Mustang Power Wheels to run on 2 20v DeWalt batteries... low voltage isolation circuit board on the left and motor speed controller on the right
[IMG][/IMG]
OOOO!! Details, please! I've been looking at modifying my daughter's JD Gator power wheels. She wants us to sit in the bed or cram into the seat and drive her around, but the OE battery is not having it.

Jason
Old March 28th, 2020, 07:38   #5516
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Nice, I bet that thing rips @ 20V input . Fast swapping battery capability is pretty neat too. I'm surprised Powerwheels hasn't done something like that already.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2020, 07:54   #5517
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
OOOO!! Details, please! I've been looking at modifying my daughter's JD Gator power wheels. She wants us to sit in the bed or cram into the seat and drive her around, but the OE battery is not having it.
Jason
I can't take full credit. Here's where I got the idea and used the same parts. He links the parts in the description, the low voltage shutoff is in part 2 (separate video by him).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XcVdPOUly6Y

Old March 28th, 2020, 08:00   #5518
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Nice, I bet that thing rips @ 20V input . Fast swapping battery capability is pretty neat too. I'm surprised Powerwheels hasn't done something like that already.
Total input is 20v 10ah. I've had it set to about 75% and she's got about 20min of run time so far and the batteries are only at 18.6v currently. I have the shutoff set at 16v, so I don't kill the batteries. Oh, and all driving is in soggy grass, minimal gravel, no paved surfaces.

I've cranked it up to 20v a few times for her and it's pretty darn quick to say the least.

Old April 6th, 2020, 20:35   #5519
tikal
Veteran Member

Moved the discussion here from another thread as it is more relevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon64 View Post
Turbo,

Please do not mistake my statement as detracting from Tesla's success. They are the first new US car manufacturer to succeed in 1/2 century. So absolutely more power to them. My statement was more on their supply chain impact globally and US based. Current statistics show that pure EVs make up around 2% of global auto sales. Meaning 98% are ICE, Hybrid or etc...

Lets say by 2022 Tesla is effectively selling 1 Million Electric cars annually. That still means 64/65 Million cars annually are ICE or hybrid. That doesn't solve our problems. Its great for Tesla's bottom line sure. But environmentally its a drop in the bucket. All I am saying in relation to that is I am more interested in Advances to ICE / Hybrid cars right now since they make up such a large % of the market, they will have the biggest impact in the long term right now. Lets say globally we had a 20 - 50% reduction in ICE vehicles CO2 output, through advances in timing, valve, cams, etc... that are already coming out + hybridizing them, and that made up the majority of all the ICE cars sold since the other models would be phase out. Even at a 20% reduction across that board.... that would mean a if each car produced 300 g/mi average and 20% was the figure that would be a reduction of 60 g/mi * 64 million vs 1 million * 300 g/mi reduction ---- 3,840,000,000 less g vs 300,000,000g.... Hell even a modest 5% reduction across the ICE vehicles would be a 960,000,000g, and a 2% reduction would still be more impactful than all electrics sold that year @ 384,000,000g reduction and all of that assumes 0 g/mi for electrics, which we know that based on energy mix they do infact pollute some... I am heavily weighting in Electrics favor in these figures. Also keep in mind these are all g/mi figures. The impact is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
I like your big picture data analysis Daemon64!

Regardless of what we say, the data analysis is showing that Tesla continues to trend towards more success with more models and so forth.

The trend I do not see in the data so far is that the sale of luxury Tesla vehicles is going to replace a substantial number of non-luxury ICE vehicles, in the next five years or so, that a) cost on the average $30,000 (+/- 10%) or less and b) have a range of 400 miles or more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Thanks Daemon64. I will be curious to see the growth rate of non-Tesla EVs (current and projected). Do we have data that shows the success of Tesla will be contagious (no pun intended) to non-Tesla EV models?
Quote:
So wait- is Tesla is supposed to be the sole manufacturer of EV's in 2025? Tesla is just leading the charge , they won't be fighting the battle single handedly. VW is moving into EV's in a big way. Toyota just partnered up with BYD. I anticipate that in five years time the US will at least have caught up to where Europe is today in terms of EV market share.

https://cleantechnica-com.cdn.amppro...20%25251%2524s
Old Yesterday, 05:14   #5520
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly Average 29.6

Quote:
I think you must be looking at some old data. In my previous link the March 2020 EV marketshare in the UK shows BEV's outnumbering PHEV's nearly 2:1. In this link of March 2020 marketshare in Germany the ratio is roughly 1:1. https://cleantechnica-com.cdn.amppro...a-model-3-1%2F
PHEV's are great. After living with one for a year or two most owners are ready to go full BEV.
My data is based on a year by year global model. Looking at any one given month is not a full trend, it can be used to predict any trend. But statistically I don't generally used sources like insideEV or cleantechnica.... inherently they want to tell people EVs are the best and getting better... that is just their message and hope... so anything that supports that data.

Cleantechnica uses LMC Automotive global sales data here: https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/18...tinue-to-grow/

For all of 2019 - They show less data than i was using in my analysis as they are only using china, US, and europe.
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote