www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old January 14th, 2020, 14:37   #31
Brokein2

TDI(s): 2015 Q5

Thanks DieselDeeds....I was hoping you would say that. I will get it on my to do list for spring.
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 09:40   #32
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies2710 View Post
Well my shop just sent out their New Year's specials on performance upgrades. Time to make some calls and see what they suggest on the Intercooler for the A6.

Pittdawg you the only one who made that SQ5 upgrade?
As far as I know. I found some blog post from Slovakia describing the process and just went for it.
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2020, 17:23   #33
Brokein2

Why wait for Spring? Found a great deal on a Wagner intercooler...

Car definitely likes breathing cold air. Hardest part of the install is getting the old hoses off as this one comes with new ones.
Old February 8th, 2020, 08:54   #34
DieselDeeds

Fuel Economy: ~31mpg AVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokein2 View Post
Why wait for Spring? Found a great deal on a Wagner intercooler...

Car definitely likes breathing cold air. Hardest part of the install is getting the old hoses off as this one comes with new ones.

Nice- That looks awesome! Install was pretty straight forward after the bumper was removed right? My next project is having a custom fab crashbar made to replace the huge one that blocks off a huge part of the intercooler. I have a close friend who owns an engineering and fab shop and I’m hoping (as long as he doesn’t charge me for too much ) to get something fabricated like the one below—>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DieselDeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2020, 15:14   #35
Brokein2

Yep...bumper comes off no problem. I have looked at the area blocked by the actual aluminum bumper and even with it there, the area of the new intercooler is still more than twice the original. As seen in this picture below, even if you removed the aluminum bumper, the external plastic "bumper cover" that holds the license plate would still block the air from a direct shot through that part of the intercooler.

A bar like that might ok as long as it still ties into the sacrificial mounts on the front of the frame but the small diameter would have a hard time transferring the kinetic energy of an impact over a long distance. Maybe if it was 2.5 OD with a .250 wall, it could do the job. That is a great idea though...
Old February 8th, 2020, 15:21   #36
DieselDeeds

Very good point and I’ve thought about that. I’d be upgrading to a honeycomb front grill if I made the crashbar step!

Old March 25th, 2020, 12:03   #37
DieselDeeds

The next mod has come! Vogtland springs that lower 1.2 front and 1.2 rear. From talking to a guy at Urotuning (which has the best price btw), he said the springs are slightly stiffer than stock and not nearly as stiff as h&r. I’ll be installing them these next few days and will give you my reviews.

Old March 26th, 2020, 06:41   #38
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly Average 29.6

Nice man. Love the idea of the springs. Any reason you didn't get bilstein b8's to match them ( I think it's the b8s that's for lowering.... if not it's the b6s). I've heard that the bilsteins make a world of difference w/o sacrificing comfort.... Also when your good to go can you please comment on comfort, handling, and MPG... I've heard that it can help highway. I know looks and all... just curious.

Keep up the awesome work!
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:42   #39
DieselDeeds

Hey Daemon,

I went with just springs rather than springs + bilsteins for a few of reasons.

1. I wanted to keep my stock struts because they offer the adjustable ride dampening (comfort, auto, dynamic, and custom). If I wanted to keep the adjustable ride dampening and get new struts, I would have to go with some pretty expensive struts as I think the only adjustable ride dampening struts I found for the Q5 TDI were $250 more than the regular struts w/o magnetic dampening. When the time comes and I install the spring that I just bought, if they are too stiff and I am not pleased with the ride quality, I will look into getting the adjustable dampening new struts for my springs or just revert back to stock

2. I don’t want to drop my ride height a lot. Even with h&r’s drop height being 1.6F and 1.5R, I was almost seeing that as barely too much of a drop. Seeing as Vogtland springs only drop 1.2 front and rear, I saw that as the perfect middle ground for drop height. I know the difference is very minimal but that’s slightly more than 1/4 inch in the rear and almost 1/2” for the front.

3. This is The primary reason I chose Vogtland. I think the springs could be a “undiscovered” gem in the Q5 TDI world as I never see discussions around them. They could be perfect for people who don’t want much of a drop or too harsh of a ride. I’ve read a lot of people (almost all from what I’ve read on forums) have gone with h&r springs and I’ve heard mixed results from “they’re amazing” to “they’re too stiff so I went back to stock”. From everything i’ve searched on the Internet and forums (and I’ve been looking around for about a year), I have found nothing on the Vogtland springs. So I’m partly doing this is as a guinea pig and I’m hoping to have good results to share for those people who are similar me and don’t want too stiff of a ride. After talking to the guy at Urotuning, he told me they’re very similar to stock and not nearly as stiff as h&r, which is exactly what I’m looking for. In the end, if they’re too stiff or I don’t like them, I’ll go with bilsteins or revert back to stock if I don’t like them.

Last edited by DieselDeeds; March 26th, 2020 at 09:02.
Old March 27th, 2020, 06:29   #40
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Diesel,

That makes a ton of sense. I didn't even consider the adaptive.... hahaha I don't have them so for me it's an easy and cheaper jump. Looking to hear on the vogtland springs. I'd rather do a minimum drop as well... like having good ground clearance....haha. Plus the other half doesnt agree with dropping it at all "Its an SUV, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?". So I have to find minimum drop when I do mine... hahaha
Old March 27th, 2020, 08:27   #41
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon64 View Post
Diesel,
That makes a ton of sense. I didn't even consider the adaptive.... hahaha I don't have them so for me it's an easy and cheaper jump. Looking to hear on the vogtland springs. I'd rather do a minimum drop as well... like having good ground clearance....haha. Plus the other half doesnt agree with dropping it at all "Its an SUV, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?". So I have to find minimum drop when I do mine... hahaha
Now I am thinking of a mild raise to throw on some big tires for the zombie apocalypse!
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:10   #42
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Don't Forget something like this:
Old March 27th, 2020, 16:40   #43
DieselDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon64 View Post
Plus the other half doesnt agree with dropping it at all "Its an SUV, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?". So I have to find minimum drop when I do mine... hahaha
Haha totally man! My brother is the complete opposite of me- he lifts everything he’s ever had, which is totally fine. I just don’t have a reason to lift any of my rides as the most adventurist I get is heading up to the mountains to ski and driving some groomed, bumpy, national forest dirt roads that lead up to a hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post
Now I am thinking of a mild raise to throw on some big tires for the zombie apocalypse!
Oh nice! I’d love to do that but I just don’t have a reason to. There’s a Touareg on these forums that has a lift on his- it looks amazing

Last edited by DieselDeeds; March 27th, 2020 at 20:33.
Old March 29th, 2020, 11:17   #44
DieselDeeds

Default Question! Just straight piped my Q5– Turning into Deeds’ Q5 TDI Ownership Log

Alright- Vogtland springs are installed! I put them in yesterday with my neighbor. I will outline the steps we took (with pictures that I took during removal and installation) at a later date but for now, here is the before and after.

Before:

After:

Initial thoughts after installation:
I took the Q5 out for a drive and noticed driving on the road hasn’t changed much during normal, everyday driving, when in auto or comfort (maybe a smidge stiffer in auto). When I put the car in dynamic or auto and hit turns hard- the difference was huge! Especially when in dynamic. The car is much more fun to drive and sits perfect (in my opinion). I will post steps with pictures later

Last edited by DieselDeeds; March 29th, 2020 at 20:55.
Old March 30th, 2020, 06:13   #45
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Hey Diesel,

My other half and I were looking at the pictures. Looks really nice man. Even she doesn't mind the mild drop. I got to say though, that black optics package looks damn nice on that car. I never noticed it before / even thought to look since I was just trying to get any q5 diesel at the time... hahahaha... Looking at your car it amazes me how much chrome is on mine now. So funny.

I like the look, still not sure about dropping it or not myself. But you've ratcheted me 1 point in that direction... hahaha I'm curious about your alignment after and such.