New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
I'm new to the TDI, just bought my 2012 Golf TDI 6MT in July this year. The sales person called me yesterday to follow up on how I was liking the car and asked if I had any questions. I asked him if there was a way to see overall fuel economy and he told me that I can press the OK button where it shows the trip average fuel economy to switch to overall economy. Sure enough that worked but it showed 53 MPG and my calculating average MPG at the pump yields an overall average of 50 MPG so it seems to be about 3 MPG off.

I'm just wondering if anyone else notices this or if there might be something wrong with my cars computer. Thanks.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Owners Manual

just bought my 2012 Golf TDI 6MT in July this year. The sales person called I asked him if there was a way to see overall fuel economy

After four months with your vehicle, it seems like you need to do some reading in your Owners Manual. It was given to you for a reason.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
After four months with your vehicle, it seems like you need to do some reading in your Owners Manual. It was given to you for a reason.
If the user has been resetting trip "2" - then you aren't going to see an overall fuel economy - IIRC.

Also, IIRC - "2" also gets reset after a certain amount of time.

Most of us have been using Fuelly for the long term, lifetime average of MPG.

I'm pretty sure I went through my manual and car carefully and not found a lifetime overall fuel mileage log.

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
If the user has been resetting trip "2" - then you aren't going to see an overall fuel economy - IIRC.

Also, IIRC - "2" also gets reset after a certain amount of time.

Most of us have been using Fuelly for the long term, lifetime average of MPG.

I'm pretty sure I went through my manual and car carefully and not found a lifetime overall fuel mileage log.
Thanks for the info, that's interesting. This is the first time I've seen that "2" reading, I was always looking at the "1" so the "2" has never been reset by me. If it resets itself after a time though it would be interesting to know when that happens. My best fuelly tank ever (4 months of driving lol) has been 52.1 MPG so the "2" reading is still higher than that. Oh well, I really rely more on the "1" setting anyway to gauge the MPG for my trip to work, then back home, etc. I was just curious. Thanks again.

Chibwe

Spammer
TDI
LT 46
Hello all,
Am a newbie to this forum and I would like someone to guide me on how set the timing for vw lt 46 with an ATA engine and possibly a diagram showing how the marks are to be set details below of the specs:

identification parts code prefix: 062; ID codes: ATA, AUH, BCQ engine configuration & engine displacement inline four-cylinder (R4/I4) Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) turbodiesel; 2,799 cubic centimetres (170.8 cu in); bore x stroke: 93.0 by 103.0 millimetres (3.66 in × 4.06 in), stroke ratio: 0.90:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 699.7 cc per cylinder cylinder block & crankcase grey cast iron; five main bearings; die–forged steel crankshaft cylinder head & valvetrain cast aluminium alloy; three valves per cylinder (two inlet, one exhaust), 12 valves total, finger cam followers, gear-driven single overhead camshaft (SOHC) aspiration air mass meter, cast aluminium alloy inlet manifold, cast iron exhaust manifold, turbocharger, intercooler fuel system Bosch VE mechanical rotary injection pump with direct injection (DI);

Thanks
John

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hello all,
Am a newbie to this forum and I would like someone to guide me on how set the timing for vw lt 46 with an ATA engine and possibly a diagram showing how the marks are to be set details below of the specs:

identification parts code prefix: 062; ID codes: ATA, AUH, BCQ engine configuration & engine displacement inline four-cylinder (R4/I4) Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) turbodiesel; 2,799 cubic centimetres (170.8 cu in); bore x stroke: 93.0 by 103.0 millimetres (3.66 in × 4.06 in), stroke ratio: 0.90:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 699.7 cc per cylinder cylinder block & crankcase grey cast iron; five main bearings; die–forged steel crankshaft cylinder head & valvetrain cast aluminium alloy; three valves per cylinder (two inlet, one exhaust), 12 valves total, finger cam followers, gear-driven single overhead camshaft (SOHC) aspiration air mass meter, cast aluminium alloy inlet manifold, cast iron exhaust manifold, turbocharger, intercooler fuel system Bosch VE mechanical rotary injection pump with direct injection (DI);

Thanks
John

Post this question in 101 section

jettatdimax

TDI
jetta 2011
car value

Hi,
New to forums. I am from Montreal where I bought a 2011 JettaTDI in Nov 2011. I want to sell, but found the resale price well below what I expected. One major reason as it turns out is that a brand new 2013 model has a base price of $23970.00, which is $3000.00 less than what I paid one yr ago. Do you think it's unfair for the manufacturer to cut prices so much, directly affecting the wallet. Thanks for your opinion. Max.

mydub73

TDI
jetta tdi
How do I post a question about my 2003 VW JettaTDI and the mil light coming on and OBD reader showing P0673 Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit. I clear the code and after a few minutes of driving it comes back on. Glow plugs test OK, harness tested good continuity

TINK

TDI
Jetta 2011
Hello all. First post here or anywhere for that matter. I love this forum! Need some help navigating though. Just bought vag-com. Now I need need step by step help, and list of tools needed to change oil and fuel filter. Where should I look?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Welcome to TDI Club!!
Start by going to the main forum page and check out the various forums.
Forums.TDIClub.com

TINK

TDI
Jetta 2011
Thanks,
Found alot of valuable stuff in the 'How To' section already. Still searching for the elusive step by step fuel filter change post......but enjoying every bit of my expedition. It's easy to get side-tracked in here!

MK6_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 B7 Passat TDI SEL
Hello another newbie to the forum.

Name: Brandon
Background: WeiBCoupeE36 from bimmerforums.com, e46fanatics. Former e36 guy and still an enthusiast

Finally getting back into the German world of engineering. Was a toss up between an e90 328i and my current TDI. Should bd able to officially call it mine after I get the call my adjuster about my previous DD Mazda3 being totalled as I have mine on a signature hold/sign and drive from vw. It is a 2012 candy white on black/tan interior DSG that had 8800 miles on it. Still on the first tank and loving the mileage so far. Looking forward to diving into the knowledge of these cars as I have always wanted a jewtta back fromthe m3 vr6 days. Won't be doing anything too drastic as this is ny new DD(I say that now lol.) I still need to finish my profile but wanted to stop in and say hello.

EDIT: it's mine :evil:

2012 VW Jetta TDI. 9100 miles currently, leather, fender audio upgrade, Bluetooth..loaded with all options mius nav and the push button start.

Last edited:

mjb0327

TDI
none yet
newbie looking for first tdi

Hi everyone,
Been on the hunt now for months, man is it hard to find these things. Found a car that i am interested in yet skeptical about and would love to get some pro insight. The car is a 93 corrado in which he swapped the engine w/ a 97 1.9 tdi.
I believe its an a3-B4 out o' 97 passat but maybe a4 only briefly talked over phone. Anyway the car itself has 211,000 and engine 170,000 (not accurate he says tho). waterpump, timing, other misc just done.
-Does anyone have any insight on ups/downs of this specific swap or TDI swapping in general.
- also pricing he wants 5200 think i can get him to 4700
i know thers other options out there but fell in love with corrado look.
thanks guys

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The car is a 93 corrado in which he swapped the engine w/ a 97 1.9 tdi....i know thers other options out there but fell in love with corrado look.
Remember that this is a 20-year-old car, built before VW got serious about corrosion resistance. So besides confirming that the drive train is solid, you also need to check out everything else.

Would it be worth 5 grand without the TDI engine?

footer4christ

TDI
2003 vw beetle
2003 vw smokes like crazy

I just replaced my engine with a junk yard motor with 89,000 miles on it.
it started and runs great but when I got about a block away it started to smoke like it was on fire! brought it home and let it idle and the smoke clearedup. Went for another test ride and it started smoking again. It almost sounds like oil boiling in the muffler. let it cool down and it idles without smoke. Is it possible that when the old motor blew that if filled the exaust system with oil and that the exaust system only gets hot enough to burn it off once I drive it and not while it is idling? any help is appreciated!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, this is quite possible.
I would ensure the intercooler is essentially free of oil by pulling the bottom hose and wiping it out.
Check your oil level.
Then, drive it until fully warmed up, then a couple of hard power pulls, such as entering an interstate ramp with full acceleration to 80 mph or so. You may want to do this after dark.

Ron Jeremy

TDI
'98 Beetle
Priming Fuel System

Hi, I'm a noob mechanic so bear with me please:

'98 Beetle TDI 1.9L

I ran the tank low and it wouldn't start. I've put ~2Gal in the tank, but still nothing. Neighbor suggested the fuel line might need to be primed which has led me to here.

I'm trying to follow this from the FAQ:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1972395&postcount=10

but I'm not having any luck. I don't have a Mityvac, but I am using a small electric pump that I've verified works. I tried pulling fuel from the output of the fuel filter( #2 in the first picture), but couldn't get any fuel to come out.

I also tried pulling fuel from the return on the injector pump (purple arrow on the 2nd picture) and still nothing.

Finally, I've tried pulling fuel directly from the input TO the fuel filter(#1 on the first picture), and I still can't get any fuel to appear anywhere.

I'm stuck at this point. There's fuel in the tank, the dash indicator shows ~1/4 tank. Shouldn't I be able to pull it through that hose to the fuel filter? Maybe my pump isn't strong enough? Is there something else I can do before having the car towed to a mechanic?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would try a better pump. If you can't get any from the inlet to the FF, and the car was running fine before running dry, your pump must be weak.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would try a better pump. If you can't get any from the inlet to the FF, and the car was running fine before running dry, your pump must be weak.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I would, first, make sure that no more air can enter the fuel filter via the thermostatic-T. Then I would crack the nut on each injector to release air in the lines.

You may also need to put the battery on a charger, since it could take quite a bit of cranking. But do not let the starter overheat.

Ron Jeremy

TDI
'98 Beetle
I went out and got a Mityvac. When I suck on the inlet to the fuel filter I get no fuel and a vacuum on the mityvac gauge. Up to 20 psi and no fuel comes up. I tried with the ignition in the on position and with the gas cap popped open. Is this normal? Is there a valve closing the fuel line somewhere?

I also tried sucking on the outlet from the fuel filter and I got a little fuel out of it, but not a lot.

Tornado Red said:
I would, first, make sure that no more air can enter the fuel filter via the thermostatic-T.
Not sure how to do this?

whiteywhip

TDI
1968 572 HEMI ROADRUNNER 2013 PASSAT TDI SEL PREMIUM
HELLO EVERYONE.....NEW GUY HERE AND THIS WEBSITE LOOKS AWESOME
just bought a 2013 passat tdi premium dsg and i love it.....had a 1999 tdi and also a 1991 tdi.....traded in my 07 lincoln towncar on the passat ....just a tad smaller and will be loving the fuel mileage

i live upstate new york and was born in brooklyn ny....i retired from union ironworkers local 417 and worked alot in nyc.....last job was the freedom tower....33 years was enough for me.had prostate cancer and 2 stents on my heart and figured it was time to retire and enjoy life before i dropped dead..my brother/father/grandfather were all union ironworks....kind of in my blood
....married 36 years and have a son 31yrs and a daughter 27yrs old

USAF 1970-1973....jet mech kc-135s/b52s/141S....utapo base thialand/plattsburg/mcguire

i am into hotrods and drag racing.....have a 1968 plymouth roadrunner pro-street/572 keith black hemi....runs 10.3 129mph in the quarter.....pump gas motor.....owned since 1993....wife has a 68 mustang 298/4 speed......you only live once

i will be on the sidelines checking out all the info on the tdi"s

Last edited: