Was running, died, won't restart

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
'05 Golf TDI 5spd, took the car out for a spin around the neighborhood, everything seemed fine, ran it up to speed, played on the slippery spots in the snow. On the way back about 100 feet from my house it just shut off. Now it'll crank but won't fire. Timing belt is good for another 50,000 miles, good Gates belt from a reputable guru.
Fuel pump comes on with the key, runs for a second and shuts off.

VCDS has no errors shown...

This sounds just like the time the fuel shutoff solenoid quit on my '98, does the '05 have something similar?

We did have some gelled fuel about a week ago (its been wicked cold here, about 6F now) but I put some Power Service in and it seemed to be corrected. Even when that was happening it just went into limp mode and had no power, it still ran...

Thoughts?

Update: Just after I finished posting I put the accelerator to the floor and cranked, after about 10 seconds it fired up and now seems to act like no big whoop. Still nothing exciting from VCDS...

Last edited:

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
Enough I don't remember. I'd been considering that, when I first got my '98 it'd go into limp mode to tell me the filter needed changing, the shutdown this thing did and then the later restart maybe is fooling with my head.
I'd considered heating the filter with the heatgun and see if I can get some water out but for the difficulty of that I should just change the filter. I'm pretty sure I have one.

After the adventure with the '05 yesterday I got the '98 started, let it warm up for half an hour before I tried going anywhere. It did just fine. Took it to FLAPS to find out they're have no diesel additive left and don't know when more will be coming in.

nforkvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6 Speed Manual / Gray, 2009 VW Jetta TDI 6 speed manual / Red,
Sounds like intercooler icing. Just had the same problem on my 2009 Jetta TDI.

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
In such a short time? I only ran the car for 5-10 minutes, just barely up to operating temp.
It was pretty cold though, 5-7F

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm experiencing the same symptoms and usually don't get any CEL, but last week I could not get my Golf started and three DTC's did show up in regards to the crank shaft position sensor. When the car won't start of dies out I have to wiggle the lead from the CPS to get it restarted; it's worse in the frigid weather. I have a new sensor on order. I do have a VCDS cable, but my Ultra Gauge is what showed the DTC's.