CR140 HPFP bulletproofing...

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Since every diesel engine that's ever had a huge flaw with it someone comes out with kit to fix the issue and make the engine bulletproof... Example ford 6.0 ****ty reliable engine but if u fix it's issues you can't kill them... They make a kit that 1300 bucks that fixes all it's major flaws and they last a million miles now...

What about replacing the stock common rail HPFP with a reliable CP3 from duramax/cummins??? I see them go for as low as $479 remanufactured...

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
If someone builds a solution to either upgrade to a better hpfp or at least contain damage to JUST the pump. People will be lined up to buy it.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
You would think with the amount of time it would take to R&D and test something of this nature, we would be starting to get to the threshold of products of this nature starting to release. I can hope I guess.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
all hpfp does is supply pressure to the "common rail" all we would be doing is change what is applying the pressure to the common rail

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Heck of an idea. Have you looked into the viability? There would certainly be a market for it.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
This is all ready going on. There is a member on the forum that has been working along with me on CP3 pump stuff. He has set up a test bench that runs the CP3 and piezo injectors plus has all ready run his CR140 on a CP3 pump..at idle and various rpms without issue. There are miscellanious things to sort out yet, but it is coming along vary well. Sorry..that is all I will bring forward on this for now. Probably next spring/summer there will be a tested system on OEM and on my race engine as well.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
This is all ready going on. There is a member on the forum that has been working along with me on CP3 pump stuff. He has set up a test bench that runs the CP3 and piezo injectors plus has all ready run his CR140 on a CP3 pump..at idle and various rpms without issue. There are miscellanious things to sort out yet, but it is coming along vary well. Sorry..that is all I will bring forward on this for now. Probably next spring/summer there will be a tested system on OEM and on my race engine as well.
Great news. It almost makes me wish I had pulled the trigger on an 09 JSW. Best of luck on it. It appears to be one of those "no brainers". :)

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
That's good I'm sure we can make a kit that replace stocker for less than stock hpfp cost alone

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Extremely interested in the project.

I know of one Toureg TDI owner who has had his fuel system replaced TWICE.

I have an HPFP, 4 injectors, fuel pressure regulator and perhaps some other components off of a failed 2.0 common rail. Holler if they would be of any help.

CurlyDE

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
Interested in future updates on the CP3 work ... subscribing.

And for the record my late 2004 Ford 6.0L has been reliable ... :D

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm monitoring the temp deltas and saving up for an external oil cooler ... just in case. ;)
Ya in 2005 my family bought 72 ford 6.0 power strokes and in less then a year only 27 were still on the road. We kept from going bankrupt cause we pulled some of our 94-00 dodge cummins from the field and had the trannys fixed and used them to deliver our produce. I. 2007 my grandparents sold all 72 of them

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I'm monitoring the temp deltas and saving up for an external oil cooler ... just in case. ;)

It's not usually a temperature thing... They'll fail and start pumping engine oil into the coolant.. There are a few companies that make better drop-in replacements that aren't nearly as expensive as the external ones..

CurlyDE

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
It's not usually a temperature thing... They'll fail and start pumping engine oil into the coolant.. There are a few companies that make better drop-in replacements that aren't nearly as expensive as the external ones..
Per Ford TSB 09-8-3, if oil temp is 15 degrees higher than coolant temp, the oil cooler should be replaced (this is the temp delta that I monitor). I have seen EOT 7 degrees higher than ECT in my truck so far ...
Observe ECT and EOT PID’s on IDS Datalogger. EOT maximum temperature differential might occur at throttle tip-out.
(1) If EOT is within 15 °F (8.4 °C) degrees of the ECT, go to Step 7.
(2) If EOT exceeds ECT by 15 °F (8.4 °C) or more at any time during the test, go to Step 6.
6. Service Oil Cooler and Pressure Test EGR Cooler Off Vehicle:
a. Service oil cooler with an Oil Cooler Kit per WSM, Sections 303-01C and 303-08.
b. EGR cooler leak test - off vehicle:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ya I'm aware of the TSB, but search around for ford 6.0 oil cooler failure and you'll see a LOT more cases of oil in the coolant than them clogging up and malfunctioning.. I've had to do a few of them, they suck..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh Ya.. they do that too LOL.. At least it's kind of easy to lift the body off the frame..
We should probably get back on topic before someone complains :D

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Actually, there are two, other than a crank position sensor, mine has been great. A Sept. 04 build datve.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I have heard of another guy adapting a cp3 to a vw common rail,This is in Ontario,Canada.

Sounds like we need a 6.0L thread.I figure that about 90% of these engines have leaking headgaskets.I see lots of them and most of them will work with leaking headgaskets to a certian degree.EGR cooler delete kits are the best mod to preform to the 6.0.Oil coolers are further down on the list of things to do.FICM's,Turbo unison ring sticking,injectors,high pressure oil leaks are all more common.

There are not many items on these engines that I havn't replaced.Actually I think that the starter and PCM are the only reliable items on this engine.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
6.0 problem is straight forward. The oil cooler clogs up with casting sand, rust, and the percipitate that comes out of the Ford Gold coolant. That isnt the problem really, besides having higher than normal oil temperatures. After coolant goes through the oil cooler, it goes to the EGR cooler. When the oil cooler clogs up, coolant flow to the EGR cooler drops. Eventually, the small amount of coolant going through the EGR cooler actually flash steams from the exhaust temperatures. Because the coolant/steam is confined to the EGR cooler, it builds pressure, and ruptures. Then you have steam going into the intake, into the cylinder, piston tries to compress said steam, blows the head gasket. Along with that, EGR cooler do fail as well, so oil/coolant mixes.

The 6.0 will never be the greatest engine, to many design flaws. But, with everything addressed they arent the worst. The good news is, because there are so many failures and people are so affraid of them, their price reflects it. At least they have a decent trans. Crap part is the initial investment to "bulletproof" one.

turbo johan

Veteran Member
Have you had problems with a stock VAG CR HPFP?
If not why would you change it?
You have a lot other stuff to mod before you need bigger HPFP powerwise..

Johan

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
uh, most of us dont need a bigger one, we want one that is going to blow apart and cause thousands of dollars to fix the damage, not sure where youve been but this is a HUGE possibility for most of us cr owner