Dipstick recall?

WillR

Veteran Member
Don't adjust your own oil level on my observations, but last week the oil level was fine. today I got the new dipstick and had to add around 3/4 L of oil.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
I thought I had responded but I guess not. I picked up my new dipstick last week. From what I've noticed, as long as you are full on your old (shorter) dipstick, you will have enough oil with the new dipstick. If you are in the middle to the low side of full on the old dipstick, you'll probably have to add oil.

WillR

Veteran Member
I agree. I think I was full on the old dipstick and in the middle range on the new one. I do think the new one is easier to read, maybe it is not as shiny, but I did notice it was easier to read, or maybe I am imaging things.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I just went to my dealer, my serial number is not in the range as it is 630***, but was on the recall sheet the dealer accessed, and when he called VW the+y said it was to be replaced. It has the "M" imprinted on it. He ordered a new one, said it should be here next week. Built date on mine was April 05.

WNjetdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Jetta, 06, Reflex Silver
Hey DipSh*t,
We are all on this forum to get valuable advice, keep your petty comments to yourself- I wouldn't visit your CT dealership if you were giving cars away.
Did you mean to say, "DipStick", lol, sorry I couldn't help it.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
The dipstick for my 2005.5 TDI engine is neither grey or black but rather it is orange!

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
The dipstick for my 2005.5 TDI engine is neither grey or black but rather it is orange!
The end that goes into the engine is either black or grey, dipstick!
We all have the orange handle.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Got t-he replacement dipstick today October 19. It is about 1/2" shorter than the original, and the portion the oil level is read on is a dark grey. Iseems to be a little easier to read, the original had the level on the upper part, the new one is in the middle on the reading between the two bumps.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
The end that goes into the engine is either black or grey, dipstick!
We all have the orange handle.
I didn't realize the part of the dipstick that indicates the oil level is where the color varies. The colors discussed above were grey and black; the picture posted by NEEDABEER looks grey to me; so I assumed people were talking about the color where the "M" might or might not be found.

My dipstick is orange on the upper part near the handle and the part that goes into the oil to tell me the level is black - but I don't see an "M" on it. I'm not colorblind but I am at the age where my close-up vision has already started failing.
I'll have one of my kids look for the "M" for me...

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
My dipstick is orange on the upper part near the handle and the part that goes into the oil to tell me the level is black - but I don't see an "M" on it. I'm not colorblind but I am at the age where my close-up vision has already started failing.
I'll have one of my kids look for the "M" for me...
Gulp. It is black and has an "M" on it.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Gulp. It is black and has an "M" on it.
It's really not a big deal. Don't worry about it. Just call your dealer and ask if they have any of the replacements in. If they don't, give your VIN and tell them to order one for you. When mine came in, I drove my car to the dealership, gave them the old one, then put in the new one. If they try to get you to schedule an appointment, tell them they are crazy. It takes longer for them to get the part from the storage room and for you to sign the paper than it does to do the replacement.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
I had mine replaced, on another thread it has a serial number range, and mine was outside of that range, 630897, but it had the "M" on the dipstick and VW had it on the recall list, build date was April 2005, and the new one is about 1/2" shorter. Top of the old one was middle on the replacement. New one is grey on the reading portion, slightly easier to read.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine was not in the serial number range,630897, but it had the "M" on the dipstick and VW had it as recalled. The old one was black, reading top of the measurement range and about 1/2" shorter than the replacement. The replacement is grey on the reading portion, slightly easier to read, and the oil level was in the middle of the measurement range.

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
I am still a little confused on this. I have a 2006 A5, took delivery Nov 3rd. My dipstick does not have an M on it, but the bottom of it (the section that gives the reading) is black. Very difficult to read.

For those of you that have the new dipstick, is the bottom part Light Grey, or a very dark grey? I'd like to be able to read mine better...

Rob

GregoryB

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Grey, Package2, DSG, VAG-COM
robrichtx said:
I am still a little confused on this. I have a 2006 A5, took delivery Nov 3rd. My dipstick does not have an M on it, but the bottom of it (the section that gives the reading) is black. Very difficult to read.

For those of you that have the new dipstick, is the bottom part Light Grey, or a very dark grey? I'd like to be able to read mine better...

Rob
You are describing my dipstick exactly. It is hard to read since the bottom section is black, and it looks like it is plastic too. I wonder what precautions VW has taken to make sure that piece doesn't end up in the engine.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
GregoryB said:
I wonder what precautions VW has taken to make sure that piece doesn't end up in the engine.
I don't think it would do anything but hang out in the oil pan. It would be too big to get sucked through the oil pickup screen (at first). If it hits a moving part, it's just going to break into smaller pieces, and if a piece is small enough to go through the screen, then it would get trapped by the filter.

quartermeter1999

Veteran Member
TDI
New dipstick is SHORTER not Longer

lildevildee said:
I thought I had responded but I guess not. I picked up my new dipstick last week. From what I've noticed, as long as you are full on your old (shorter) dipstick, you will have enough oil with the new dipstick. If you are in the middle to the low side of full on the old dipstick, you'll probably have to add oil.
I got my new one and had to add about 1/2-3/4 quart to have enough. Hope this did not cause any problems.

I gotta figure how to get 4.5 L out with the Pela pump.

Great site

mrutter1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG...sold 2013 Golf 4dr 6M w/ Tech Pkg
Do I have the updated dipstick?

Mine reads this:

AT
GN4
PA 6.6

and 180* over...

03G 115
VW AG

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Painless Dipstick Replacement - Oil Capacity Question

During my 5k oil change, I noticed that I put in about a liter less than what the capacity in the manual called for. After doing some diggin in here I found out about the dipstick being too long and I thought I'd let you folks know about my experience.

I called two different dealers in the Pittsburgh suburbs. I spoke of the recall (B7), and asked them to check on the part number (03G115611). The large dealership took my VIN over the phone and checked for the part. They didn't have it but said they could order it for me. Evidently they were not too familiar with this problem.

I tried a smaller dealership, and suprisingly, they had one available. They never asked for a VIN up front and told me just to come in. I showed up and they filled out a quick form and a guy came with me out to the car and swapped it out and checked my oil level for me. We had to add about 300ml back in to bring it up to the proper level (I had already added a little extra knowing the old dipstick was too long). He jotted down the VIN and I signed the form and went on my way.

Fairly painless, but sort of rediculous that they are not calling us to have them replaced proactively. If I didn't have this forum, I'd be short a Liter or more.

One question I had was that I read on here that the oil capacity for my car is 4.3 liters (4.5qt.). My owners manual has an addendum in the back with states that the capacity is 4.8 Liters (5.1qt.). After all my dipstick swapping and topping, I fugure the total I actually put in is somewhere around 4.3 liters and it was right up to the max indication. Do you think the book is a misprint?