12 A3 TDI vs 12 Jetta TDI MPG

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm getting 39-40 on my A3 it 2011 that's just me in it and all i do is high way i have been getting 450 a tank with only 1 gall left

On the jetta I can easily get 500-550 miles out of a tank and have a best of 595 miles so 450 is still a far cry from a TDI Jetta based on highway travel and seems a lot closer to what I am seeing on our A3 as well when I hand calc the MPG

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
On the jetta I can easily get 500-550 miles out of a tank and have a best of 595 miles so 450 is still a far cry from a TDI Jetta based on highway travel and seems a lot closer to what I am seeing on our A3 as well when I hand calc the MPG
When driving highway, doing 75 on cruise (I dont hypermile), I can easily get 500-550 as well. My only 2 trips even remotely like this have 520/13.5gal and 527.5/12.57 (my best trip for 42.0mpg tank average). I have a heavy foot, and drive between 75-80 when traveling on the highway (not pulling), I can only imagine if I actually slowed down, but the A3 easily w/o trying can average 38-42mpg doing 75mph. During the summer I idle alot, typically pull a waverunner on the weekends for trips(idle at the docks for lauching etc etc), and do mostly driving around town (hope on I for exit jumping). My overall average since owning the A3 has been 37.5mpg over 10k miles. I have done two long trips up to my brothers with the waverunner, so roughly 20% of my miles have been pulling a waverunner (492 1-way)

Last edited:

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
When driving highway, doing 75 on cruise (I dont hypermile), I can easily get 500-550 as well. My only 2 trips even remotely like this have 520/13.5gal and 527.5/12.57 (my best trip for 42.0mpg tank average). I have a heavy foot, and drive between 75-80 when traveling on the highway (not pulling), I can only imagine if I actually slowed down, but the A3 easily w/o trying can average 38-42mpg doing 75mph. During the summer I idle alot, typically pull a waverunner on the weekends for trips(idle at the docks for lauching etc etc), and do mostly driving around town (hope on I for exit jumping). My overall average since owning the A3 has been 37.5mpg over 10k miles. I have done two long trips up to my brothers with the waverunner, so roughly 20% of my miles have been pulling a waverunner (492 1-way)
Just out of curiosity what brand and style of tires are on your A3? Ours has continentals and we can't get close to your mileage figures.

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
I'm getting 39-40 on my A3 it 2011 that's just me in it and all i do is high way i have been getting 450 a tank with only 1 gall left
How are you getting 39-40mpg and only 450 miles a tank. 450/13.6 is 33mpg.

I regularly get 500 miles/tank which is about 36mpg

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
I'd like to point out that all data I can see online from researching indicates my 2013 A3 has a 14.6 gallon fuel tank capacity.

This information has to be incorrect, I just managed to put 15 gallons in the vehicle after driving it approx 11 miles with a 0 mile range indicated.

Yes I know this is bad for numerous reasons but it was late at night and I had to get home.

So now I'm inclined to think that it has the normal 15.8 gallon capacity like the gas vehicles and the data online is incorrect.

AU_Bug

TDI
2014 Q7 TDI, 2011 A3 TDI
All the 2.0L TDI cars sold in the US came with a 14.6 gallon fuel tank. You can fill up the neck and manage extra fuel, but the tank itself is 14.6 (US) gallons.

Currently I've got a 2011 A3 and previously had a 2009 JSW, but had the same tank capacity.

jasennn

TDI
2012 audi a3 8p
About 9 months ago I bought a 2012 JEtta sedan for myself and thus far over the 15500 miles I have averaged 40.5mpg hand calculated on fuelly. I liked it so much I talked my wife into getting rid of her BMW 135i vert and into an A3 TDI which she really like too.

Thus far I only have about 1600 miles on the A3 and the mileage on it is nowhere near the Jetta. I don't think she is as obsessed with mileage as I am so her driving habits may be slightly worse than mine but she also drives slightly more highway miles to and from work than I do. Thus far on three tanks she is averaging 34.5mpg. This weekend I even drove it on the interstate for about 200 miles and went sub 70mph and didn't get the normal 48-50mph (display) that I get on my Jetta when I do the same with no Ac running.

Both cars are DSG autos but they do have different tires with the Jetta running on bridgestones and the Audi on continentals. They may be different sizes too s I need to check that.

I know the engines are slightly different but I noted that on fuelly the A3 TDI just does not produce the same MPG as the Jetta TDi. Any ideas why anyone?

Not that I am complaining over 34.5 mph compared to the 20 mpg on the premium gas burning BMW but I expected more like 38ish.
I have an a3 TDI that I bought last year. My friend also has a same year jetta, which I work on for him. And I can say the audis get worse economy stock with emissions stuff on it. When I removed all of it and went stage 3 with malone tuning and a bigger turbo, I now get 43 to 44mpg on the highway. My friend averages 40-41 in the jetta. I used to get between 35 and 36

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
A3's had a recall on the airbox flap. It was sticking open and bringing hot exhaust heated air into the airbox (normally only when cold)
check that yours has been replaced or is working properly. Mine actually shifted better also after the recall. (I don't think they changed any software)