Malone tune and Flazhzilla loader

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
It's been about a month now since I got my 2-for-1 Malone tune and Flashzilla loader. My car is a 2004.5 PD wagon 5-spd with just over 150k miles. Prior to the tune my experience with this car and it's engine has always impressed me and I continue to refer to it as a true "Drivers' Car".

After reading ad nauseam on this forum about all of the options, I decided to engage Mark at Malone Tuning because I could not find one word that was not raving about him, his service, product, or his work. I can attest first hand that all of this is true and so much more. I emailed him several, several times to get his input on what my options were and what was appropriate for my car. It's stock performance-wise and I'd like to keep it that way AND I don't want any more smoke than is present with a stock tune. Many times he replied within minutes; after hours, weekends, and what not. He was there with answers.

By the time I was ready to purchase, He informed me that he was holding a two tunes for one sale so I could not resist! The time was at hand and I decided to get the 1.0 and the 1.5; both with the dynamic idle and dynamic EGR option and also to spring for the loader. One really good thing about these tunes is that they limit the boost to 18 PSI and eliminates PD prone/problematic boost creep (which is good for my stock POS BW turbo at least until I can replace it with a Garrett).

I have to admit; I've never been so impatient in all my life, tracking the package every hour or so all the way from "God's country" Canada to the loading dock at my work and literally waiting by the door when the delivery was due.

Once you get the loader, the procedure is that you download a copy of your stock tune to it and then send it off to Mark via email, he does his magic and sends you back a genie in a bottle. After that, you dump the tune into your car and let the grins commence.

I have a brand new Luk clutch that is slightly stronger than stock (thanks Jim @ Dieselgeek!) so I started off conservative and loaded the 1.0 tune. Had I not purchased the 1.5 I would have been COMPLETELY satisfied. It's like a whole new car! The most immediate difference is the new idle curve.

After one loop round the block I could not wait to see what more could possibly be coaxed out of my little 1.9 so I made a pit stop at the house and in less than 10 minutes I'm sporting the 1.5.

HOLY CRAP!!!

Words escape me but lets just say that rolling onto the throttle brings the car to life and just seems to keep coming until it's PTTM in 5th.

I have an old industrial park where I can open the car up. 100 mph is now easy and had to back off @ 125 MPH because the Yokohamas were obviously not match balanced and up to the task.

The car is smooth and runs flawlessly with power abound. The one thing that I noticed is that the tires light up in 1st, 2nd, and even in 3rd fairly easily and I have to pay mind to that. A Wavetrack differential "locker" is one of the next mods in line to get all this to the ground efficiently.

I chose to leave the 1.5 in as the daily driver and continue to maintain hand-calculated mileage into the low 50's.

A an aside; I did an injection pump seal on my buddies VE and when I test drove it, I insisted that there was NO boost at all and started graphing the boost, demand, and N75 duty cycles which turned out to be fine. The moral is; I'm absolutely spoiled.

To anyone considering a tune, I HIGHLY recommend Mark and Malone Tuning. I have never in my life dealt with a more stand-up guy than him and he has delivered and then some. My money could not be more well spent and my only reserve is towards VW... Why would they not deliver their cars like this!?

Thanks Mark!

P.S. If anyone has explicit questions about my experience with this, I encourage you to PM me and I'll be glad to answer anything I am able.

Last edited:

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Noone in their right mind can resist that much fun :D. I havent used Mark personally, but I am just as happy with my TD tuning setup. Looking to go stage 3 once I have a bit better supporting hardware lol. If things fall into place like I hope they will soon, I'll eventually have an ARL powered chevette that I would like mark to tune

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Hey ctnatureboy, I had a Malone tune stage 1.5 once upon a time in my bug. After my trans swap I went stage 2. Now running stage 2 in all my ALH cars. Couldn't happier.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
FWIW I preferred stage 3 tunes (granted from Kerma and TDTuning) when my ALH was stock turbo'd.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
can't do much more than stage 1.5 on the stock turbo on a BEW. It does feel pretty good on the stock BEW though.

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
Update:

I just put the snows on and noticed that there is not as much traction on the dry top as with the Summers so it's lucky that I have the option to de-tune to the 1.0 for Winter to try to keep things from breaking loose too bad.

Still could not be more pleased and the car is just plain old fun to drive every day.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
i cant wait till i save up the money here within a few months to get the flashzilla and stg2 tunes. the clutch is waiting to be worked lol.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I just practice self control.

until I hit 4th gear.
I used to have to practice self control then Matt installed a Wavetrac LSD and no self control required anymore other than limiting speed so I don't lose my license. :)

Ticket for going over 100 mph reduced to reckless driving and I just came off my 1 year probation.