any and all views on a 2003 jetta wagon

hogmae

TDI
2003 jetta wagon GL TDI
hi everyone, i could use any and all views on a 2003 gl tdi auto trans that i found at a dealer called the green car co. in WA state. the carfax is good on everything, except there was a side collision in sept of this year with no structural or bag deployment. the car appears to be immaculate. per the pictures. and i opted to have them change out the timing belt, tensions, rollers, bolts, and water pump for 600 us. did this because they don't have service records. carfax shows a one owner car from florida. registered to the same place in florida for seven plus years. i figure they got rid of it because the big service was coming, and maybe because of the accident. no way to really know thanks so much to the people who responded to private messages. i am really nervous about this sight unseen thing now. i have already put a deposit down on this vehicle, so i'm out some clams if i change my mind. has anyone heard of this green car company? i opted for the lower miles vehicle i thought. 76k seems low to me. and the auto trans is something i just wanted. i'm tired of shifting. i really have been looking to jump into a tdi for some time. i am a dog trainer and i will travel more if i have a good mpg vehicle. right now i drive an 02 toy sequoia limited. 90k auto. fully loaded and never even skipped a beat in the eight years i have own it. 15.2 miles per gallon just isn't realistic anymore. so there it is. what say all of you.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The Green Car Company is not well thought of here. Do some searches. The auto trans (an 01M designation) is the least desirable trans for modern VWs.

There is lots of knowledge to be gained here if you do some reading. Good luck with the car if you buy it.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
How much is the car and how much of a deposit do you have down? It was probably a mistake to have them change the timing belt unless they have a mechanic that specializes in TDIs, has the correct lock down tools, and knows what they're doing. If so, and they do a good job, $600 for an ALH timing belt change with the complete kit is very reasonable.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
my 0.02-
I owned an 03 Jetta wagon and loved it. In fact, I'm seriously thinking about buying another one (same year) used.
Unfortunately, I would not recommend to purchase the car with automatic transmission unless you are willing & able (or have friends) to make a transmission conversion to manual when the automatic unit fails. Alternatively you should prepare for a multiple thousand dollar service to replace the auto trans.
It's definitely a prudent move to have the timing belt changed, but unfortunately this may create another "roulette" situation for that car; you won't have to search very far on this forum to find problem stories of unsuspecting owners who had bad issues with timing belt service. Have the timing belt change done by an experienced person or outfit (and note that being a VW dealer doesn't guarantee that status !). I'm not much concerned about the collision history of the car. It's the auto trans and the experience level of who does (did?) the timing belt job. If you can nix the deal for a few hundred dollars or less, I might recommend taking that route. If you have service connections that can help with future trans work, that's a mitigating factor. But note if you plan to replace in future with another automatic, everything I have seen indicates the replacement auto trans is expen$ive. Hope I didn't ramble too much there.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Since you already dove in with both feet, you may just have to live with having the 01M. Lots of people get decent mileage out of them as long as they stay on top of the service intervals AND have the valve bodies replaced at the first sign they are failing. It may be a tough pill to swallow if the 5k tranny dies right away. [which is one more reason they may have dumped the car.]

I know I was so glad I came here first and realized that the only way to buy a TDI is with a three pedal kit.