Canadian HPFP failure

Year:2010
Build Date: ???
Make/Model: Golf TDI
Tranny: DSG, 6M 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 132000 kms
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Petro Canada
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Driving along and had flashing glowplug light. Car went into "limp" mode for 10k then stalled on the hiway, Attepmts to restart were unsucsessful. Towed to dealer where after two days it was diagnosed with complete contamination of the fuel system from metal shards from HPFP destruction. Because it is out of warranty my battle with VW Canada will be an uphill one.
Dealer: Towed to Valley Autohouse Abbotsford B.C. Canada
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)Pending
Costs of repairs to be covered by VWofCanada. I have been quoted a "minimum of $7000 for the repair.I am in the "wait and see mode" I am prepared to get a lawyer when the time comes. Nobody should have to be held hostage by a car manufacturer.

Last edited:

TDI117

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Year: 2012
Build Date:
?
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 1750
Diesel Fuel Source: BP
Additives: NO
Problem: Car became hard to start and seemed sluggesh under acceleration. Dealer reported they could not duplicate the problem the first time they had the car. When I took the car back to them the second time the next day they kept the car and reported back "contaminated fuel
Dealer: Village VW of Chattanooga
Status: Dealer fixing the car under warranty loaner car given (Piece of S*.T) waiting to get it fixed.
Cost: No cost to me. Dealer paying for rental.

Last edited:

Batgo

TDI
2009 Jetta
Year: 2009
Build date: 08-08
Make/Model:Jetta TDI
Mileage: 20500
Diesel Fuel Source: Hess
Additives: None
Problem: Flashing glowplug light and loss of power 70 mph. Drove off exit ramp in limp mode. Car died at stop light and would not start. Towed to dealer. Dealer found fuel contaminated with metal particles. HPFP failure.
Dealer: Vista VW, Pompano Beach, Florida.
Status: Dealer replacing entire fuel system no charge. Some parts on back order. Free 2011 Jetta loaner. Friendly, no hassle service. VW wants fuel tested. Update, car repaired after 10 days at dealer.

Last edited:

pcnorton

TDI
2011 JSW
Year:2011
Build Date:?
Make/Model:VW JSW
Tranny: DSG,
Mileage: 25K
Diesel Fuel Source: Pride
Additives: No
Problem: Car stalled after glow plug light then check engine. Dealer initial report: Contaminated fuel
Dealer: Northampton VW

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Year; 2009
Build date; 7/11/08
Tranny; DSG 6
Mileage; 105,357
Diesel fuel source; Usually Arco..last season letting it run very low before refueling.
Additives; Nah
Problem; Great driver then flashing glow plug light, reset by turning off, then into limp mode again, side streets 20 miles home. Wouldn't start the next AM and is flatbedded to the dealer.
Dealer; Ontario VW (SoCal not Canada)
Status; In 9/6/11 returned 10/12/11. Cause "HPFP internally destroyed contaminating fuel system", " Inspected vehicle and found not startingjust cranks. scanned with guided fault fing and found fault p0087 fuel rail pressure to (sic) low multiple times. remove fuel filter and metering valve on high pressure pump and found metal shavings inside high pressure pump and in fuel filter. opened vta ticket # 794153 and sent photos and information of problem. was advised by tech line that fuel system has been contaminated and needs replacing and fuel sample needs to be sent to lab for processing. sent fuel line sample and as per tech line removed fuel tank with pump and fuel lines and install new injectors with seals and new fuel lines on motor. install around 5 gallons of new fuel and primed system and bleed using gff test plan. let idle and test drove with no isuues on test drive and no leaks found after test drive"
Machatronic unit is updated as well.
I had a 100K extended mile warranty. Told me VWA covered it and not the warranty. Furnished me a new Passat but had power steering and battery issues and used a new gas Jetta for the other 5 weeks. Hope I have the newest updated updated updated HPFP version so I can hit 350k !!
VW Ontario Ca. have been very accomodating. Have only a few more payments left.

SandDiesel

TDI
Build Date: unk
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Mileage: 50K
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron 90%
Problem: HPFP failed. Saw shavings in pump.
Dealer:
Status: Good will warranty covered it, but traded car on the spot.

kndonlee

TDI
2010 A3 TDI 2.0
Year: 2010
Build Date: ?
Make/Model: Audi A3 TDI
Mileage: 50,200
Diesel Fuel Source: Majority Interstate Sunoco, random other places
Problem: HPFP Failure it seems: Coils & Battery (glowplug & alternator) warning light blinking followed by loss of power and no start of car.
Dealer: Purchased @ Don Rosen Audi in Conshohocken, PA. Attempting fix in Duncan Audi in Roanoke, VA

speedeep

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition DSG, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG
2011 CJAA Jetta TDI - HPFP Failure @ 13.4k miles

Year: 2011
Build Date: 4/2011 (Purchased 5/28/2011)
Mileage: ~13,413
Diesel Fuel Source: majority Shell, BP, Exxon. Detailed fuel records kept.
Additives: Yes, Stanadyne Lubricity @ 2oz/tank since 1st fill-up (this is my 2nd CJAA TDI)
Problem: No warning symptoms, car shut down, "engine malfunction" (coil) light blinking. HPFP failure, metal flakes in filter and pump.
Servicing Dealer: Royal VW of Birmingham

Car was filled with BP diesel (+ 2oz. of Stanadyne Lubricity) 145 miles earlier, the night before (have receipt.) Failed 10/19/2011, ~4:00pm. Car was completing return leg of a 120-mile daily commute when the engine malfunction light started flashing and it lost power, engine would not restart roadside. VW/dealer arranged tow (no charge) promptly, provided rental car (no charge.) Royal VW of Birmingham is diagnosing (noted metal flakes in fuel filter and pump) and is now taking a fuel sample and sending it to VWoA. VWoA repaired under warranty.

Write-up:
CUSTOMER STATES GLOW PLUG LIGHT FLASHING - ENGINE LOST POWER AND STALLED - VEHICLE TOWED IN ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE CUSTOMER STATES GLOW PLUG LIGHT FLASHING. ENGINE LOST POWER AND STALLED DTC Set P0087 FUEL RAIL SYSTEM PRESSURE TOO LOW STATIC
ENGINE NO START/RUN CONDITION REMOVED FUEL FILTER COVER HAD DEBRIS ON TOP OF FUEL FILTER CARTRIDGE ACTIVATED FUEL PUMP THROUGH BASIC SETTINGS ELECTRIC PUMP OPERATIONAL REMOVED HIGH PRESSURE PUMP SENSOR DISCOVER METALLIC DEBRIS IN ORIFICE CREATED VTA TICKET INSTRUCTED TO REPLACE ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM REPLACED 4 INJECTOR UNITS INJECTOR FEED LINES FUEL RAIL FUEL RAIL FEED LINES REMOVED TIMING BELT REPLACED HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP REINSTALLED TIMING BELT REPLACED FUEL FILTER HOUSING COMPLETE REPLACED ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP REMOVED CLEANED AND REINSTALLED FUEL FEED AND RETURN LINES REMOVED REPLACED AND REINSTALLED FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY PRIMED FUEL SYSTEM THROUGH BASIC SETTINGS MVB 35 CALIBRATED INJECTORS QUANTITY ADJUSTMENT TO IVA THROUGH GUIDED FUNCTIONS TEST DROVE VEHICLE VERIFIED SYSTEM OPERATION AT THIS TIME

Parts:
N-911-316-01 BOLT (2)
1K0-919-050-AB FUEL UNIT (1)
1K0-127-400-K FUELFILTER (1)
1K0-130-307-BJ HOSE (1)
1K0-201-293-D PIPE (1)
1K0-201-294-C PIPE (1)
5N0-130-307-J PIPE (1)
03L-201-360-G FUEL LINE (1)
1K0-130-307-BG HOSE (1)
5N0-906-129-B FUEL PUMP (1) (Lift Pump)
03L-130-089 FUEL DISTR (1)
1K0-201-060-GP TANK (1)
03L-130-755-A PUMP (1) (High Pressure Fuel Pump)
03L-130-277-A INJECTUNIT (4)
03L-130-301 PIPE (1)
03L-130-321 PIPE (1)
03L-130-301-C PIPE (1)
03L-130-301-B PIPE (1)
03L-130-235-S PIPE (1)
WHT-000-884 SEAL (4)
059-130-216-C PLATE (4)
VW1000 BOLT (1)
VW8880 BKE CLN (1)
03L-130-301-R PIPE (1)

Overall:
Less than a seven day turn-around. Car runs properly again. Diesel in tank at failure is discarded. Dealer put in 5 gallons of diesel after repair. VWoA covered all costs: towing, rental, parts and labor. VW never asked, but the car has run no biodiesel. Car purchased in Atlanta, GA, fueled only in Alabama, failure occurred in Alabama.

My to-do list:
Still working to get failed HPFP part number tag image, will get the replaced HPFP part number tag and the HPFP part number tag from my other CJAA and link them here.

I know this isn't technically a MKV, but my other TDI (same CJAA engine) is a MKV and I want this HPFP failure documented.

-speedeep

Last edited:

RLS1400

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Prem Nav

Build Date: 09/2008

Make/Model:
Jetta Sedan

Tranny: 6M

Mileage:
Began @ 42K, Diagnosed @ 54k, Replaced @ 57k

Diesel Fuel Source: Sunoco, Hess, Mobil

Additives: Power Service

Problem: Sudden power loss/derate, mostly at highway speeds starting around 42,000 miles. Flashing MIL/check engine light, "ENGINE FAULT WORKSHOP". Brought to dealer immediately after first incident, unable to find issue on ECU. Put up with problem until solid MIL/check engine light stayed on at 54,000 miles. Called up VWOA customer service and stated my issue, received reference number and was told to bring to dealer. Dealer able to pull faults for fuel pressure. Took a fuel sample, and received immediate approval for warranty. One month later, entire fuel system replaced under warranty @ 57,000 miles. Delayed due to backorder of parts. Loaner car provided for the 2 days it took to replace fuel system.

Dealer: Cooley VW - NY (Very impressed with their service department, extremely responsive.)

From repair order...

"REMOVED AND REPLACED FUEL TANK, IN TANK FUEL PUMP, TANK LINES, PLASTIC UNDERBODY FUEL LINES, RUBBER FUEL LINES TO FILTER, FUEL FILTER AND HOUSING ASSEMBLY, 2ND ASSIST FUEL PUMP, LINES TO AND FROM HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP, REMOVED TIMING BELT AND REPLACED HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP, INSTALLED BELT AND TIMED ENGINE TO SPEC, REPLACED STEEL LINES TO FUEL RAIL, FUEL RAIL, ALL 4 STEEL LINES TO INJECTORS, ALL 4 FUEL INJECTORS AND GASKETS, INJECTOR HOLDS, RETURN LINES AND HOSES. PROGRAMMED THE FUEL INJECTORS TO THE ECU, PRIMED AND TESTED SYSTEM. TEST DROVE VEHICLE. DRAINED AND FLUSHED SYSTEM BEFORE DISASSEBMLY. FILLED WITH NEW CLEAN FUEL. CLEARED ALL REMAINING FAULTS."

Parts...

03L130321 PIPE
03L130301 PIPE
03L130301R PIPE
03L130301B PIPE
03L130301C PIPE
03L130089 FUEL DISTR
5N0130307J PIPE
1K0127400F FUELFILTER
1K0201060GP TANK
5N0906129B FUEL PUMP
1K0919050AB FUEL UNIT
059130216C PLATE
WHT000884 SEAL
03L201360G FUEL LINE
1K0130307BJ HOSE
1K0130307BG HOSE
1K0201293D PIPE
1K0201294C PIPE
1K0130295AJ PIPE
1K0130295AH PIPE
1K0200059BH PIPE

Last edited:

emdeeaitch

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just a helpful reminder: The template for adding new cars to this thread seems to have been lost in our additional chatter (to which I contributed, sorry!). So here it is again, from the first post.

Please use the following format when posting a failure incident:

Year:
Build Date:
Make/Model:
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began)
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)
Additives: (Yes/No)
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.)
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)

Last edited:

Kiwanda

On the prairie/forest border, just south of Canada
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI (sold after HPFP death)
One more for the list (late 2010)

Build Date: June '09
Make/Model: Jetta
Mileage: 17,000
Diesel Fuel Source: varied, all local
Additives: none
Problem: Car started rough, died; MFD read "Engine Fault: Workshop" Would not turn over. Dealer diagnosed as HPFP failure w/associated damage to fuel system. [note: failure occurred 11/2010]
Status: Repaired under warranty, no questions asked beyond "how recently did you fill up?" Replaced fuel tank, lines, HPFP, and injectors. Dealer claimed this was the first instance they had seen of HPFP failure w/o misfueling; they had already gone through the repair procedure with "several" TDIs that had been misfueled so knew the process. They are a high volume TDI dealer and I believe trustworthy. Parts were ordered and car sat at dealer for close to three weeks before repairs were completed due to backorder of fuel pump.

*Our failure was resolved satisfactorily and at no cost. VW dealer (and VOA) were responsive, gave us a new gas Jetta to drive for three weeks, and claimed car was "good as new" when repaired. Of course, it was "good as new" when it failed the first time and they couldn't make any guarantee it would not fail again. Because we drive kids around in temps that can reach -30 at night we did not feel safe keeping the car in case it failed again away from home. We traded it about two months after the HPFP failure and no longer own a VW. We miss the driving experience and great fuel efficiency, but the HPFP worries were worth casting aside. After the trade I calculated our net cost of ownership at ~$325/month over the 18 months we owned the TDI (not including fuel), so we just pretended it was a short-term lease and moved on.

lindsaysuchy

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Build Date: Unknown (purchased late November 2009)
Make/Model: Jetta TDI sedan
Mileage: ~35,650
Diesel Fuel Source: BP
Problem: While driving up an on-ramp to enter the interstate, the "check engine now" and glow plug lights came on. Within 10-20 seconds, the car lost all power, and I had to coast over to the shoulder of the interstate. The car would not re-start and had to be towed to the dealership. Dealer said the car was throwing "all kinds of codes." The dealer blamed "fuel contamination", not from misfueling (I have my receipt from purchasing diesel fuel the prior day), but from the poor quality of American diesel fuel. The service manager said the cars are designed to run on 100% diesel fuel and that the fuel available at gas stations in the U.S. is often not 100% pure.
Dealer: Work being performed by Leith VW of Raleigh, NC
Status: Still pending, work being performed under warranty. The parts should arrive to the dealership within the next few days, and the repair should be complete by the end of the week. This dealer quoted roughly a week from start to finish, but the sister dealership, Leith VW of Cary, claimed it's been taking an average of 4 weeks to replace all the required parts. Leith VW of Cary also said they're experiencing this problem on 4-5 cars per week at their dealership alone.

VW of America said all replaced parts come with 12-month/12,000-mile warranty. Shouldn't the entire fuel system be covered under the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty?

Has anyone had an luck being awarded a free extended warranty?

Last edited:

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Build Date:
I will update this part later I forgot my build date:eek:

Make/Model: VW Sportwagen
Tranny: 6M Manual
Mileage: 47,100
Diesel Fuel Source: Conoco/Mavrick
Additives: Used B3 for about 4-5 tanks @20,000miles
Problem: I was exiting the freeway when my car lost power..the glow plug light started flashing and the service engine now light came on...car ran for maybe another 2 mins at the freeway exit light then died as I made my way to the other side of the road...I opened the fuel filter canister before I towed it to VW..I found the fuel filter to be full of metal shavings..NO RUST OR CLOUDY FUEL...JUST METAL SHAVINGS
Dealer: Strong VW of Salt Lake city, Utah
Status: Strong VW reports total fuel system failure...they are replacing the entire fuel system under the 60,000mile power train warranty...they have been very very easy and great to deal with...gave me a 2012 TDI as a loaner:)

its sad....I just love this car so much but now I'm worried about reliablity:mad:

rich!

TDI
Touareg
Build Date: unsure - want to say june/july
Make/Model: JSW TDI
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) ~3500
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Chevron - same station from the start.
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.)
Wife drove vehicle ~150 miles after 12.1 gal fill-up when accelerating in traffic on a heavy throttle the glow plug started blink + limp mode. Told her to pull over and wait a few moment and restart. TDI ran fine on her way into work and back home. We took it in, and able to reproduce blinking glow plug light on heavy throttle.

Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
GuntherVW Coconut Creek (excellent in addressing issue and communication)

Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)

First was to drain tank as the fuel looked suspect (pink). Confirmed with Chevron this can be in fact ok. Problem still exists after flush. They tried replacing various parts in the fuel system as VW has to approve HPFP replacement. Obviously, they approved a full fuel system replacement and will complete the car in the next week or so when HPFP arrives.

Previously had an '09 with no issues

mcnzder

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6M
Year:2010
Build Date:Not sure(where is this information)
Make/Model: Jetta
Mileage: 34K
Diesel Fuel Source: multiple
Problem: 3 miles from home glow light starts blinking......not in limp mode I get home switch off wait.....take it for a quick spin no more flashing light or problem.
Next day drive 130 miles to Portland no problem. I then start out for Beaverton and the light starts blinking again turn off again starts no problem but then the light comes on again. I then take it to dealer. They take a look and replace the Tank Fuel Pump....Very good service right there and then.
I then drive it back to Portland no problem until almost at my Hotel light starts blinking and limp mode.
Next day manage to make it back to H/M they give me the rental and order in a valve or sensor not sure. Car is ready late the next day so I deffer to pick up to Sat Morning. Get less than 1 mile from H/M and the warning lights start again. Take it back.
Following Monday I get a call to order in some parts next day I get another call that they are replacing the entire Fuel system.
Dealer: Took them 3 tries but felt I received good service, in the end replace the entire fuel system
Status: Completely repaired, all under warranty, rental car paid by them for 12 days

Absolute Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG (SOLD)
Build Date: June 2010
Make/Model: Jetta Sedan TDI
Tranny: DSG,
Mileage: 17,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Sunoco B5
Problem: HPFP Failed, metal shavings contamination
Dealer: Vw of Langhorne
Status: Repairing under warranty, ordering all new fuel system parts.

elbrowno

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
2010 JSW with HPFP failure at 47755 mi

Build Date: Nov 23 2009
Make/Model: JSW TDI
Mileage: 47755
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron, occasionally Shell, Valero
Problem: HPFP failed while driving on freeway (while attempting to pass, no less). Limped to offramp where it died. This was Thanksgiving Day. Check engine light had been on for five days, including when I brought it in to dealer four days earlier for goodwill replacement of two faulty door latches, fuel injection line recall, ECU flash. According to dealer, no faults found in that visit, but check engine light went back on within a mile of leaving dealer. Therefore I already had an appointment to bring it back to dealer on the Friday morning after Thanksgiving. Too bad I had to pay $130 to get it towed the day before. In any case, dealer found metal in fuel, failed HPFP.
Dealer: Team Volkswagen of Hayward, CA
Status: Dealer replaced fuel system under drivetrain warranty. Spent six days in the shop. Pretty quick, which was nice. Not so nice: no loaner, only 2.5 gals diesel in the tank when I picked it up. But I guess I shouldn't complain.

Last edited:

Mark Jeffreys

TDI
2011 sportwagen
HPFP meltdown at 20211

Year/2011
Build Date/09/10
Make/Model/jetta sportwagen
Tranny/DSG
Mileage/20211
Fuel source/Shell Oil
Additives/No
Problem/Complete HPFP failure
Dealer/Dirito Brothers Walnut Creek CA.
Status/Repaired under warranty took 1 week replaced 41 parts including 2 fuel pumps 1 fuel unit 12 pipes and a tank. I was given a loaner, no charge. service manager said I had a phase 2 pump now I have phase 3. Also said it would last forever now. I asked if any additive would have helped this or if I should use any now he said absolutely not.

Last edited:

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Build Date: Late 2008
Mileage: 67700
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly local Shell but used off brands while on trip
Problem: HPFP Failed
Dealer: Flemington NJ

Screenial

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Build Date:not sure, bought in Oct. 2008
Make/Model: Jetta TDI sedan
Mileage: 62K
Diesel Fuel Source: Last fill up was at Chevron earlier that day
Problem: While driving at an incline "Engine Fail" light came on, car went into limp mode, barely made it to the top of the hill before everything completely turned off. Had it towed to nearest VW repair shop, they notified me of metal shavings throughout the fuel system. I called VWoA, they requested I have it towed to a VW dealership so they could look at it. Next day I was told by the VW dealership that it was HPFP and that VW would to fix it even though it was past warranty.
Dealer: Moss Bros. Moreno Valley CA (original dealer, Paradise VW in Indio wouldn't return any my calls)
Status: Almost 4 weeks later ( and $1K in towing and rentals fees not covered) my car is completely fixed, but I'm wondering if I should get rid of my car to avoid further problems. I have loved the car until this happened.

GeraldS

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
2009 TDI HPFP failure

Build Date: March 2009

Transmission: DSG
Mileage: 50632
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell, Exxon, Chevron, RaceTrac
Problem: HPFP failure. excessive metal shavings in fuel system

Glow plug light and engine fault workshop light came on as I was pulling into work in am 11/08/2011. Restarted vehicle, with no warning lights and made appointment for scheduled maintainence with dealer. When I left for home the same evening it started ok with no warning lights. Few miles down the interstate suddenly same warnings came back on and went into "limp" mode with significant limitation in speed. I got off and tried to make it to the dealership, but car died at stop sign and had to be towed.

Dealer: Northshore VW, Mandeville, LA

Dealer replaced entire fuel system under powertrain warranty at no cost. Dealer paid for rental vehicle. It took 3 weeks to get my vehicle back. Runs fine now, but I have concerns about the risk of this recurring after my powertrain warranty runs out...

idea man

TDI
2012 Passat SE, 2011 F-250, 1983 240D
Build Date: Unk, purchased late 2009.
Make/Model: Sportwagen TDI
Tranny: Man 6 spd
Mileage: 62000
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly local Union 76 but used Chevron and other brands while on trips. All my cars are Diesel.
Problem: HPFP Failed on Freeway
Dealer: Community VW, Santa Maria, Ca

Been lurking here for years and sad to say this is my first post. Clearly the looming repair costs have my attention.:(

Speaking of which, my ODI Number is: 10441763
Thanks to everyone here for tracking these things.

pjcam5

TDI
2011 Golf
Build Date: unknown
Mileage: 17500
Diesel Fuel Source: Various
Problem: MIL came on. After a couple of weeks i brought it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pressure sensor. Picked it up and the following morning the MIL came back on. Brought it back to VW the next day and they told me my HPFP had failed. They had found metal in my fuel and some "mysterious" substance along with diesel in my tank.
Dealer: Scott VW in Rhode Island
Status: Sitting at the dealership waiting for parts to come in. VW has said they will cover it under warranty.

Last edited:

AZ-TDI

TDI
2009 Jetta
Year: 2009 (purchased 2/27/2009)
Build Date: unknown
Tranny:
Mileage: 60.5K
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Various, primarily Mobil
Problem: Chain reaction in fuel system. Dealer has confirmed HPFP failed, but said initially injector thrown into engine (this may still be the case, we're waiting to get the written list of repairs. Initial dealer response was engine is total loss with repair quote >$10K. After kicking it it up to VW, VW is stepping up and covering 100% of repair costs, even though vehicle is out of warranty (barely). All servicing had been done on schedule by the selling dealer. Car gave no indication of pending problems, went into catastrophic failure in under 2 minutes immediately after exiting onto surface streets after hour-long drive on freeway.
Dealer: Volkswagen North Scottsdale selling and servicing dealer, but vehicle at dealer closest to point of failure (Berge VW in Gilbert, AZ) it appears they will be doing repair.
Status: VW picking up entire cost of repair, the initial quote pre-VW involvement was over $10K. The repair is getting its own 1 year/12,000 mile warranty so holding off on selling the car immediately in hopes there's a HPFP fix in the next few months. Haven't had a chance to go over the itemized repair listing yet. Update 2/28/2012: less than a month has passed since repair. Engine MIL light came on, code scan shows P13D4 P13D5 and P13D6. Dealer is saying it's unrelated to HPFP failure and quoting $400 for a single glow plug replacement :-| This vehicle had never thrown a code until the HPFP failure.

Last edited:

fred1331

TDI
2010 jetta
year 2010
build date 10/09
make/model jetta tdi
milage 32k & 36909
diesel source pilot truck stop over 15000 gallon a day go thru that truck stop
dealer purchased at cooley vw 32k car was taken there didnt like service there when car died second time at 36909 car was taken to capital citys vw
problem car was taken to cooley for complaint of check engine light on an car was almost stalling from takin off at stop sign or red light they told me first that a tube behind the turbo had to be replaced an the part was on back order so i waited a few days called them back then they told me that the emmision system was plugged an that they had to change the whole exhaust system so that took them over a month to change that an they put 100 miles on the car to try an get the check engine light to go out they then told me that they had to change the ecm for the emission system. the car was doing the same thing when i ot the car back from them so i decided to check the fuel filter for myself i found rust an what looked like gold glitter in the filter housing cooley didnt even check the filter. i personally changed the 92 dollar filter myself. the second time the car completly died on the side of interstate 91 in vermont over 100 miles from home car was towed to captal citys an they told me that the emission system was plugged and the fuel filter had rust an the gold glitter back in it there was only 2000 miles on the filter. capital citys then told me that the whole fuel system was to be replaced tank line pumps injectors an emission system now the car has 38901 miles on it an it is back to almost stalling again i check filter last night an there is small aluminum particals in it so the car will be going back to capital citys

The_Mike

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Build Date: 10/10
Make/Model: Golf 2dr
Tranny: 6 spd
Mileage: 14000
Diesel Fuel Source: Whatever
Problem: Car was in the shop to get intercooler kit replaced. They were driving it and the HPFP gave out.
Dealer: Cherry Hill VW

ajkreider

TDI
2011 Golf
Build Date: Unknown, but purchased in late April 2011
Tranny: DSG, 6M 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 16K
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Mostly Shell. New tank of Shell 100 miles before failure - not my regular station but one I'd used before.
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP failed. Fuel system needs replacing. Most of my miles are HWY, but a lot of short trips this day. About 1/4 of a mile from home, a fairly violent jerk, then a steady glow plug light and reduced power. Made it home. Went in to make a service appointment. Car wouldn't start, and no glow plug light on attempted starts. Towed to dealer.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) South Motors in Miami. Service is being done at Deel cuz it was closer.
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Just ordered the parts (special order). Dealer seems to have seen it before. Asked half-heartedly "You didn't fill it with gas, did you?" (No, of course) - didn't seem serious. Have a credit card record of purchase anyway, but I don't envision an issue.

fireinsyrup

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
HPFP failure 03/27/12

Build Date: n/a
Make/Model:Golf TDI
Mileage: 25000
Diesel Fuel Source: Last used Shell
Problem: HPFP failed, scraps of metal everywhere apparently.. waiting to hear back from dealer with official information/diagnosis
Dealer: Serramonte VW

TXANN

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
2012 jetta tdi hpfp failure

Year: 2012
Build Date: Don't know - purchased new Nov. 2011 at Hiley VW in Arlington, TX
Make/Model: Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Tranny: 6-speed manual
Mileage: 11,092
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Problem: Car shut down after driving about a mile away from our house. There was no warning, except slight sluggishness right before it shut down. The Check Engine and Glow Plug lights came on. The engine would turn over, but the car wouldn't start. Was towed to dealer. When I reported the problem, our service advisor said he was 90% sure that it was the HPFP, and that the entire fuel system would have to be replaced (just from my description of what happened and the dash lights).
Dealer: Hiley VW, Arlington, TX
Status: Dealer fixed everything under warranty. Repairs took about 2 1/2 weeks. They were familiar with the issue, and did not hassle us at all. Their notes were:
11098 FUEL SYSTEM CONTAMINATED WITH METAL PARTICLES
PERFORMED GUIDED FAULT FINDING. FOUND THE FOLLOWING MALFUNCTION CODES:
P0087 FUEL RAIL/SYSTEM PRESSURE TOO LOW; P0090 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT; P0191 FUEL RAIL PRESSURE CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE. INSPECTED FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR AND FOUND METAL PARTICLES IN FUEL. REPLACED FUEL SUPPLY SYSTEM AND FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM.
$5886.30 IN PARTS TOTAL

tdininja

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDi
HPFP Failure

Build Date: Unknown (purchased Dec 31, 2010)
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Mileage: 33339
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly Valero
Problem: HPFP Failed. Metal found in the fuel system due to HPFP self-destruction.
Dealer: Lewisville VW
Status: Repaired and paid for by VW. Entire fuel system is being replaced from gas tank to injectors. Dealer originally stated that root cause was not known, after they escalated to VW they told me it was fuel contamination but to my knowlege, no fuel testing has been done.