TDI into 4Runner?

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
ANyone have any info/links for this swap?

my 95 Runner needs a new engine, and was considering the Lexus 4 litre V-8, but geeze, if gas keeps going up, the TDI might be a better swap.

the stock 3.0 gasser in the Runner was 150HP@ 4800 and 180TQ@ 3400 I think.

A TDI with a chip and injectors should equal that, and if it gets 50 mpg in the VW I think it it should get high 20's in town and 30+ on the hwy in the Runner.
since a 6 litre Cummins in a 7000 lb Ram gets 22 on the hwy.

I've seen adapters for matching the VW to the Toyota 5 speed.

Heres the only info I can find.
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=14478&highlight=tdi

Last edited:

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Acme adapters and Roadless gear both have adapters, but only for the 22r/re transmissions, Acme has an automatic option as well. The problem for you is that the 3L v6 has a differnt tranny, so your options are bring in a toyota diesel from a part of the world that has them (aus, nz, ect...) or get a 4cyl tranny and Tdi the adapter, and a tranny/transfercase cross member from Budbuilt or FROR, and goto town, preferably you would want a transmission/tcase out of a turbo model as they had a 23spline input vs the stock 21 and high torque output has been know to snap them, how ever this is on big tire rigs that were locked and wedged. I am in the process of doing this sort of swap myself but I started with a 92 sr5 22re x-cab pickup. I dont have any pictures, as I dont own a camera, but I may be able to answer other questions you have.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
RoundHouse said:
ANyone have any info/links for this swap?

my 95 Runner needs a new engine, and was considering the Lexus 4 litre V-8, but geeze, if gas keeps going up, the TDI might be a better swap.

A TDI with a chip and injectors should equal that, and if it gets 50 mpg in the VW I think it it should get high 20's in town and 30+ on the hwy in the Runner.
since a 6 litre Cummins in a 7000 lb Ram gets 22 on the hwy.

I've seen adapters for matching the VW to the Toyota 5 speed.

Heres the only info I can find.
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=14478&highlight=tdi
Better yet get a bolt in Toyota Diesel from: http://jarcoinc.com/inventory/halfcuts/

For example here's the complete front half of a Hilux less body parts wich includes all electrical and mechanical parts for $2900

LN130 Hilux - Includes 2L-TE Diesel Engine, 5-Speed Transmission/TransferCase, and Front Differential

Bolt in upgrade for the most part.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
It will be a fanily truckster, no rockcrawling.

The trans currently in the truck has burnt fluid, so it may or may not be any good.
its the H model where the trans/tcase is all one part.

I dont mind swapping the trans, since with an automatic usually sucks off about 30 HP and 10% of the mpg, and all of the fun.

got the truck cheap, I guess the best thing moneywise to do would be to part it out, but I hate to part out an undamaged truck with a good title.

I think the half cuts are ok pricewise, but Im too much of a surivialist to want an engine that would I have to import every single repair part, and Ive heard that the Toyota diesel heads crack often and cost about $2K per.
you can get VW diesel parts pretty easy.

If the heads aren't cracked I may just put in a gasket and sell it.

Regarding the gear ratio:

what rpm does the VW like to run at?

is it close enough that taller tires like 32's or 33's that will fit without a lift will work?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
RoundHouse said:
The 1.9 TDIs have peak torque around 2000 RPMs, and peak HP around 4500, IIRC.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
justpaddlek1 said:
Better yet get a bolt in Toyota Diesel from: http://jarcoinc.com/inventory/halfcuts/

For example here's the complete front half of a Hilux less body parts wich includes all electrical and mechanical parts for $2900

LN130 Hilux - Includes 2L-TE Diesel Engine, 5-Speed Transmission/TransferCase, and Front Differential

I wouldnt want the Electronic version,
not after watching the Top Gear show where they try to kill the diesel Hilux, dunking it in saltwater for 8 hrs & then just removing the injectors to blow out the water, & add fuel, prime it and crank it up. Wow!

but thats not a bad price for what you get. I could sell my long block trans/tcase & one of the front axles to recover some of the cost. maybe enough to cover shipping & tax.

DO you know if the price at Jarco is with the half cut already in the states or do they add on shipping from Japan?

COrrect specs for 2LT
2LT Horse Power: 86 @ 4000
Torque Output: 139 ft/lbs @ 2200 ?

almost the same as the VW

clearly not enough power unless they can be pumped up a little without spending alot of cash.

So 33's and stock 4.10's should be about right.

I think 33x10.50's will fit with no lift, it has 31's on it now and it looks like 32's would fit easily.

WIth either the VW or the Yota diesel Id have to change the engine mounts, so its just which is cheaper& easier swap & which is the overall best engine,
Ive owned one VW NA diesel, it was dependable, but slower than a loaded 18 wheeler.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
justpaddlek1 said:

not after watching the Top Gear show where they try to kill the diesel Hilux, dunking it in saltwater for 8 hrs & then just removing the injectors to blow out the water, & add fuel, prime it and crank it up. Wow!

but thats not a bad price for what you get. I could sell my long block trans/tcase & one of the front axles to recover some of the cost. maybe enough to cover shipping & tax.

DO you know if the price at Jarco is with the half cut already in the states or do they add on shipping from Japan?

COrrect specs for 2LT

almost the same as the VW, is it true the the 2LT crack heads alot and that a new bare head is $1300 ?

clearly not enough power unless they can be pumped up a little without spending alot of cash.

I think 33x10.50's will fit with no lift, it has 31's on it now and it looks like 32's would fit easily.

WIth either the VW or the Yota diesel Id have to change the engine mounts, so its just which is cheaper& easier swap & which is the overall best engine,
Ive owned one VW NA diesel, it was dependable, but slower than a loaded 18 wheeler.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The VW engine is better in that parts are widely available in the US.

The Toyota diesel would be a better fit IF you had the engine mounts to handle it, which a V6 one wouldn't.

Myself, I would use a VW engine.

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I went vw, even though I had the correct engine mounts with the 22re. Parts and the ease of upgrading it made it a nobrainer for me. That and I managed to find a complete low milage 2002 alh with computer and everything for $1500, so with adapter it was like $2300, by the time I am done on this swap I will be about $3000. The power will be more like 170hp and 350ft.lbs though :D. R520's, BIG fmic, gt25r turbo or vnt23 havent decieded yet. 11mm pump, and fuel cooler.

You are right though you should be able to sell off a complete runing 3L and drivetrain, and cover a big chunk of your cost.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
RoundHouse said:

COrrect specs for 2LT

almost the same as the VW

Their Inv fluctuates but usually have something in stock. Check the site/call them. Nice folks.....I'm planning a conversion in a 76 FJ-40 Landcruiser in the next year or so.

Many of the Toy Diesels will bolt right to existing mounts depending on year and current engine.

There are other Diesel Eng options for Toy's....KZN130 Hilux - Includes 1KZ-TE Diesel Engine, 4x4 Automatic Transmission/TransferCase, and Front Differential for 3995.00 I believe is a 3.0 litre......
Check out http://www.toyotadiesel.com/forums/ for more info on conversions. Lots of folks have done it.

Last edited:

TDI Jeep

TDI
06' New Beetle Diesel
I am in the same situtation myself. My dad has a 94' with 180,000 miles and a 5sp that pops out of first gear alot. Very rugged, good looking rig, like my jeep more though. The 4Runner is a very complicated rig and I have dreamed of converting it into a diesel. Don't know to much about the 1.9TDI, but my dad did purchase a new beetle tdi and it is kick ass. I have put about 300 miles on it. I never would have guessed that it would take off in 5th gear movin at 65mph.
I thought about a small block swap, but then again theres the gas prices.
I am currently researching a Jeep to diesel comversion and have found an engine that I think will do the jeep right.
2.8L 4 cyl. Turbo, 280ft-lb at 1400 rpm. made by international in brazil.
http://www.ep90.com/index.php?id=71

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Nope no links, or write up, I will post up a write up as best I can on Pirate4x4.com when I am done, but I don't own a camera, and dont plan on buying one soon, as i tend to loose them or break them quick. As such I really don't have any pics of the build and therefore not much of a write up either. ;)

Also it is a project at the end of the list of projects, I am subdividing and selling a duplex, buying a new house and shop, and building a 4pelx, + normal 40hrs a week job, and trying to keep the wife happy and still have a little bit of a life... As such it gets an hour or two early most saturday mornings is about all. :eek:

rgm68

TDI
99.5 GL 5 speed
I'm familiar with 1kzte engines hilux/surf=4runners in the US, and they're brutes and durable. I've been contemplating a diesel 4runner for several years now, until I read this thread that half-cuts can be had from Jarco. After conversion, would the 4runner still be street legal?

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
rgm68 said:
I'm familiar with 1kzte engines hilux/surf=4runners in the US, and they're brutes and durable. I've been contemplating a diesel 4runner for several years now, until I read this thread that half-cuts can be had from Jarco. After conversion, would the 4runner still be street legal?
Depends entirely on your local laws.

JimDog

I can tell you how it worked for me (and others) in California. After you complete your swap, you take your vehicle over to the DMV and fill out a "Statement of Facts" form. There's a section on the back for "change of motive power." You fill out that section, stating that the vehicle is now diesel powered, and a DMV employee comes out to verify that it's actually been converted. I think most of them wouldn't know a diesel even if Rudolph himself were driving it, so they pretty much took my word for it :) They issued me a new a registration card on the spot, showing fuel type "D", and week or so later, a new title showed up in the mail, also showing fuel type "D". Also, just like any other diesel, the annual registration renewal doesn't require a smog check.

That's how it works in California. YMMV in other states.