6/10/05 updated*Newbies Cumulative Info Links

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
kpaske said:
2.) KermaTDI doesn't make the Sprint nozzles for the PD's, but instead sells injector kits. ...
Why can't we just replace the nozzles like on previous model years?
You will ruin your ($700 each) injectors when you clamp them in a vise and twist to remove the nozzle. (and some guys don't even use a vise...)It requires expensive special tools. I won't take a chance on having customers ruin their expensive injectors, so we will only offer complete assembled injectors.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
kpaske said:
So I can chip, OR upgrade injectors, but not both? What about a tuning box with upgraded injectors?
I sent this question in email form to KermaTDI. They replied that my DieselPower tuning box and the new PD injectors would be a nice combination together. I think I might give this a try. 30 hp from the box and I think 20 from the injectors. Nice upgrade if you if you get all of that 50 hp.

Easy-Dubs-It

TDI
05 Golf GLS
where do most of you mount your EGT guage?... doyou have to drill a new bung for the probe... if so.. where?..

oh and does anyone know if they sell a DUAL guage pod for the steering column... TMtuning only had a single..

thanks
~greg

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Duke6062 said:
check out the http://www.newsouthperformance.com/Mk4pod.htm site for the dual steering column pod, they are reasonably priced and cheaper than the other sites who sell the same pods made by newsouth.

Cheers
Does anyone have a picture of the dual pods installed? The indiglo gauges look good but I'd love to see the dual pod. Off the car the pods always look good but fit and finish can be questionable some times.

Raimieb

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL, 1.9L TDI
well, let's put it this way, if anyone has a personal opinion on where to go I am located in Athens, GA 30605...if you had great service done on your car with chipping and nozzles please let me know via private im....Thanks again for the info.

Walter

fordthurston

TDI
2002 golf tdi gls
ok i have a 02 golf tdi. i want a cheap, simple little mod that i dont have to replace my fuel pump clutch or anyother costly type things. i want a liitle more pep with out screwing my baby up! any ideas?chips? nozzles? i dont want to have to put in any silly little gauges either! just a little simple mod. thanx ford thurston 120,ooo yo!

99 Beetle

TDI
1999 Beetle
Looking to waste money on a 99 Beetle

Well im really new to this but i was wondering if i could get some help. I have a 99 beetle and i was wondering if putting straight pipe on the car will that turbo spin up faster as ive been told? Also how will the car sound? Finally i want to tune the car up a little its a manual car and i was thinking about putting a chip in it, are there any guidelines i should go off of when looking for one?
Thanks

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
99 Beetle said:
Well im really new to this but i was wondering if i could get some help. I have a 99 beetle and i was wondering if putting straight pipe on the car will that turbo spin up faster as ive been told? Also how will the car sound? Finally i want to tune the car up a little its a manual car and i was thinking about putting a chip in it, are there any guidelines i should go off of when looking for one?
Thanks
Faster? Not by much. The VNT15 already is quite responsive. Do you have Vag Com/VCDS? Log the requested and actual boost pressures and you will see no real lack of actual pressure. Unlike gasoline engines, increasing boost does very little to increase power. Fuel is the key and only injectors/programming will help.

Now if you HAVE modified the program (chip) and installed larger injectors, you MIGHT get a bit better performance with exhaust modifications. But that turbo will be much more responsive to the point the turbine itself is a restriction, not the DP/Cat/pipe/muffler.

For programming, it depends on what you want. I had an Upsolute low smoke model and with .205 injectors, it would EASILY slip the clutch in 4th and 5th if the outside temps were below 40 F. And the tires in lower gears at all temps. I ditched it and have replaced nozzles with PP520s. Still plenty power with little smoke.

Grand-Papa

TDI
tdi 2009 comfort line
Real Newbie !

Does what I read on chips and nozzels apply to the new 2009 tdi (canadian specs) ? and if so, Is there a chip/nozzel out yet ?

Karmann_20v

TDI
02 ALH Jetta
Hello guys.
Please excuse my "noobiness", but here is my situation:

Back in Dec 2002 we bought a Jetta TDI, Auto for the wife. Now, 6+ years later, the car just passed 150000kms and I kept on top of maintenance (TB, water pump, t-stat, brake flushes, etc). But the craptastic 4 spd auto did what it's designed to do best: die... The car is stock, no mods whatsoever. So, instead of gambling with another 4 spd, we are converting it to 5 spd manual(not me, a shop - I don't have a garage). I always wanted to chip the car, but I kinda knew that the auto was the Achilles heel.
So knowing that I have a 5 spd w/a new clutch, will the 11mm pump benefit from new injectors first, then chipping later? Or it should be done at the same time? Also, what is the most daily driver friendly setup (11mm pump/injectors/chip)?

Thanks

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Karmann_20v said:
Hello guys.

Back in Dec 2002 we bought a Jetta TDI, Auto for the wife. Now, 6+ years later, the car just passed 150000kms and I kept on top of maintenance (TB, water pump, t-stat, brake flushes, etc). But the craptastic 4 spd auto did what it's designed to do best: die... The car is stock, no mods whatsoever. So, instead of gambling with another 4 spd, we are converting it to 5 spd manual(not me, a shop - I don't have a garage). I always wanted to chip the car, but I kinda knew that the auto was the Achilles heel.
So knowing that I have a 5 spd w/a new clutch, will the 11mm pump benefit from new injectors first, then chipping later? Or it should be done at the same time? Also, what is the most daily driver friendly setup (11mm pump/injectors/chip)?

Thanks
Your 2002 automatic came with an 11mm pump (and a fuel cooler under the passenger seat area under the car). The auto's got smaller injector nozzles than the 5 speeds, but the 5 speed cars got the 10mm pump with the larger nozzles. Clear as mud now?

Karmann_20v

TDI
02 ALH Jetta
Savage Diesel said:
Your 2002 automatic came with an 11mm pump (and a fuel cooler under the passenger seat area under the car). The auto's got smaller injector nozzles than the 5 speeds, but the 5 speed cars got the 10mm pump with the larger nozzles. Clear as mud now?
That's not exactly what I was asking, but thanks for the extra info.

BadBeetle

TDI
03' Beetle
What about temps? My EGR gauge rockets from 600 deg to 11 - 1200 when I'm just getting into it. Is there a "over the limit" temp and other than water/meth inject what's a guy to do?

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Karmann_20v said:
Hello guys.

It depends on how much you want to spend, and how far you want to go with power upgrades. I would recommend just upgrade your nozzles to stock 5 spd nozzles or the Sprint 520s that BleachBora has on sale for about $200. Chipping can come later after you have a chance to see how the nozzles affect the little monster.

sootyou

TDI
Golf '01
I have a 01 Golf 5 speed.would adding sprint 520 and removing my muffler help in performance? I don't think I ready to chip just yet. Thanks

Last edited:
TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
I was wondering if PD TDI injectors work in my non PD engine? I'm thinking about getting a hybrid turbo conversion done, and somebody told me I could just save a bit of money and install a PD160 turbo and injectors to my engine (out of a Seat Ibiza) and expect to reach around 190bhp with a decent map? A FMIC would probably be necessary then aswell.

My car is a Seat Leon SE TDI, (110hp) ((i think its the same engine as in the Golfs, my engine code is ASV, so I think its equivelent is ALH?)) and Ive currently had it mapped to around 145bhp, but I want more hp! I would love to get 200bhp from my engine but I'm completly lost with what to do next. Any advice or if anyone could point me in the right direction as what to do next would be good, or if there are any shortcuts such as using injectors out of a VW Transporter van etc?

PD Golf

TDI
2005 VW Golf
Minimal gains, if any at all. With my car anyways. I noticed more noise than anything, which was not a bad thing. The car is not loud at all without a muffler. The Youtube videos are pretty accurate. I cut my exhaust just behind the over-the-axle pipe. Wielded in a 2.25 or 2.5" galvanized steel pipe form Advanced Auto Parts. Then, of course, added a tasteful tip, only to turn down the exhaust. It looks nice. The tip is barley visible.

With my mufflerectomy and down pipe combined, I definitely noticed a consistent gain in mpg. City and hwy.

The performance gain was still really not noticeable. I only did the straight through exhaust to help lower EGT's in preparation for a tune.

I do love how may car sounds. The little turbo on my PD is very vocal.

sootyou said:
I have a 01 Golf 5 speed.would adding sprint 520 and removing my muffler help in performance? I don't think I ready to chip just yet. Thanks

PD Golf

TDI
2005 VW Golf
"Minimal gains, if any at all." is in reference to the muffler delete you were considering.

I's imagine that nozzles on your car would have significant performance gains.

sootyou said:

PD Golf

TDI
2005 VW Golf
Geez...:confused: I meant; I'd imagine that nozzles in your car...

Ok, I'm done posting tonight.

PD Golf said:
"Minimal gains, if any at all." is in reference to the muffler delete you were considering.

I's imagine that nozzles on your car would have significant performance gains.

giantsaam

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Hello guys.

Thanks
I just bought a 2003 with an auto and was wondering how hard was it for them to switch it to manual?

john weeda

TDI
Driving a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 tdi alh
Hello I’m working on putting a TDI ALH into a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 and would like some more power. So I have been looking at some chips and doing a lot of readying on line here on the forum thank you all. The reason for putting the TDI in the ranger is to get good L/100km (mpg). So I don’t want to lose that in any way only improve it if I can. I also do not want to have any black smoke as my wife drives to truck too. So for the best I have found is http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Volkswagen-Jetta-MK4-19L-TDI-2000-2003-90hp stage 1+. Just would like some opinions on this, can a chip really do the hp and torque the they are saying it will? I just don’t want to be The sucker! Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Prig builder

TDI
05 f350 lariat 4x4 4 door short bed dualy
Ok I have some questions about things. If I understand things your in CA? I am from PA and am in CA working. Just finished building my 6.0 ford into a monster and had to have some parts shipped home then back to me because of the rules in CA. Truck is finally where I want it blowin smoke and getting 23 mpg out of an F350 diesel dualy 4x4 4 door short bed. Went to a local shop to get the cab off to start the project. They basically said the same as you. Leave the exhaust, stock injectors, and the intake won't make a difference if you change em. Now that I am done they are like wow wonder if polishing the intake like you did the heads and port matching that would make it any faster? Yes yes it would but I just spent 16k you got 3 of that to take the cab off and put it back on, the rest in parts and I did all the labor and machining. Had to stop somewhere! Now my question comes in here what you said about injectors and exhaust and intake and tuning not really changing much have anything to do with the limitations and the stupid emissions that CA requires? I only wonder because I am about to buy one of these cars to make into a play toy and the first two things that will happen before more than 100 miles are put on it by me is 1 the motor is coming out for a new balanced crank and a small change in stroke and get built to receive the beating I am going to bestow upon it. 2 the trans will be sent and built to handle the engine I will be modifing for the car and putting in. I don't care about fuel mileage or if I shut down intersections like my truck does now with the smoke! If this car can not be modified to make twice the amount of power that it does currently I don't want to waste my money on it please let me know.

Last edited:

VW

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS Graphite

evangelos

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Just remember you will have to upgrade you clutch because IT WILL SLIP.

I would go with the Powerplus 520 because I had them and were great, mileage will improve; expect to change the clutch.