Oil leaking from egr valve...

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
Well I have noticed that oil is leaking from my egr valve. It seems to be accumilating around where the egr and oil cooler meet. I'm trying to figure out wth is going on? Should I take it off and give it a good cleaning?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The EGR has an internal valve connected to the shiny diaphragm on top. The valve opens and closes allowing exhaust gases to inter the intake system based on ECU input relating to emissions. The valve has a SEAL to keep High Pressure air from the Turbo from escaping. The air from the Turbo contains some oil (very normal).

The SEAL goes bad and cannot be replaced. There are two weep holes on the EGR, one front and one back. The longer it goes the messier it will become.

You can purchase an OE EGR replacement for big bucks or buy and elcheapo Chinese from eBay. Takes about an hour to change.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
In a pinch, I've tapped a short length of copper tube into one of the bleeder holes on the EGR valve, and used it to connect a hose to a catch can.

I've thought about plugging this into the CCV tube, but never went that far.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I bought a "cheap" one from FixMyVW.com. Been running, and working, just fine now for 50k miles. I bought it because I thought the one on the wife's car was failing, which it was not (the o-ring to the intake was leaking) and ended up using it on my car to avoid cleaning up its EGR (as I was doing an intake clean on it).

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thought you meant genuine VAG which is double that price. :eek:
Yeah, and I had forgot about IDPart's selection!

Also, I was sharing the option on the extreme bottom end too! Sometimes folks just throw the cheap ones on as they may not be planning to keep the car much longer. I put one on a NB for a guy (his purchase) about two years ago. I did a TB job on the car last fall and that el-cheap wasn't weeping!

One of the other options, is to cut the diaphragm off, remove the valve, plug the valve hole where the bad seal is, and cap the EGR pipe opening on the bottom ......... it will be basically a "race pipe" with a functional ASV. I did this on the ALH in my Vanagon. Occasionally, a DTC will be thrown.

Last edited:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Another option is to clean it and run it. Mine was covered and I cleaned it 6,000 miles ago and it’s still clean.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I have to admit, I believe I shot from the hip when I responded to the OPs initial post. My jumping to conclusions is because I just got a 2002 Jetta TDI in last Friday that was unbelievably oily from the weep holes.... about the worst I've seen.

But, looking back at the OPs statement, he is saying the oil is coming out around the rubber curved pipe at the EGR. So, Fahrvegnugen is onto what the OP is most likely facing.......... plugged EGR and, if so, the Intake is likely loaded too. If the EGR is substantially plugged, back pressure can cause oil seepage at the various joints from the Turbo to the EGR.

So, OP, if your EGR is not leaking oil out the weep holes (front and back), then totally disregard what I previously posted. You can remove the big black hose and determine the extent of clogging by crud (soot and oil). That simple inspection will be easy to do! Then, let us know more!

You'll not have to worry about a quick warm-up living in Florida!

EDIT: I cut the Diaphragm off the top of the EGR assembly and ground down the aluminum and polished it. I tapped the valve hole for the Turbo Pressure gauge tube fitting. The ASV is fully functional. I removed all of the EGR related piping and heat exchanger. The pic below was taken early in the conversion project. I do occasionally get a DTC.....

Last edited: