Dieselgate Long Block Warranty

bbens@hotmail.com

TDI
2015 golf SW TDI
New member; howdy to all. I'll try to keep this brief.

Loving our sold-as-new 2015 Gold TDI Sportwagen SEL which we bought 5/2017: German manners and refinement, fairly priced with discount, just the right size etc.. As I had purchased the service plan (5 yrs / 50k miles I think), we brought the car in to our local VW dealer for oil service etc... Unfortunately the next day I noticed a large oil slick in our driveway and up and down the street. Turns out service tech didn't install the oil filter correctly (o-ring crimped) resulting in oil loss. Dipstick showed no oil, yet no codes/lights on the dash, and engine didn't sound unusual. Unfortunately car had already been driven more than an hour with insufficient oil, so I had the car towed to the dealer. Dealer inspected the car confirmed that inspection revealed no shiny bits in the oil, no codes, noises nor other warning signs, and told us to pick the car up. I responded (partly informed by other threads on this forum) that running an oil-starved engine can cause problems not immediately evident, and that I wanted to make sure this issue was noted by VWOA, and that the engine was sufficiently warranted.

After opening a formal complaint with VWOA, both dealer and VWOA tried to assure me that the long block warranty (and internal note of this oil filter mistake) would cover me. However, the verbiage on the warranty is (deliberately?) ambiguous, and seemed to me that there might be some differentiation between the emissions and long block sections of the warranty. I wanted written confirmation that the long block is covered with the same 11-year/162,000-mile term as the rest of the extended emissions warranty. For about a week I got lots of hedged verbal assurances ("to my understanding", "it looks like" etc..), but nothing in writing. Long story short, as of today I got the following via email from my case manager at VWOA:

"After reviewing your case with a Supervisor, here within Volkswagen of America, it has been determined that the engine long block is covered for 11 years or 162,000 miles to any manufacturer short comings."

I am posting this because it seems I am not the only one out there who was confused by the verbiage of the Dieselgate warranty terms with regard to the long block. I hope that this is helpful or interesting to some of you. Feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Brad

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What's done is done. Just make sure you retain all records of this incident.

If it doesn't fail in the next month because of this, it probably never will.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Good info to share.

If you could pdf that email, redact your email and name/etc, then post it somewhere for everyone to access, that could be very valuable to help with a few people should they suffer a failure in the future.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
"........any manufacturer short comings." Big question here: Would an oil loss failure due to a dealer tech's mistake be considered a "manufacturer short coming"?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No. It wasn't the original manufacturer's fault. It may have been the dealer's fault but the dealer is a separate business entity. Most will goodwill such situations to spare their customers a legal battle and the resulting bad words, but they are not obligated to.

bbens@hotmail.com

TDI
2015 golf SW TDI
Yes, agreed that "manufacturer short comings" (sic) is the elephant in the room. I wonder how this wording compares with other auto warranties.

in my case, the oil loss issue was documented in VWOA records via a formal complaint, and they told me that I would be covered if this dealer screwup came back to bite me later. in any case, I think that VW is probably correct that since no codes or warning lights came on, the oil level was never critically low and it's unlikely to cause problems. The main reason for my post was to try to clarify the long block warranty term, which in my opinion isn't clearly worded in the VW warranty. Since expensive lawyers write these types of warranty documents, I can't help but think the ambiguous long block wording is intentional.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> Since expensive lawyers write these types of warranty documents, I can't help but think the ambiguous long block wording is intentional.
I agree with you completely, on both counts. If there's ambiguous wording you can bet it's on purpose.

{NOTE: possibly relevant digression follows.}

I spent a number of years in contract negotiations. My job boiled down to taking the ambiguous language the other side would propose, and remove all ambiguity. Normal communications among human beings, both spoken and written, is chock full of redundancies and ambiguity. In legally binding language, those things are a recipe for meaninglessness, which gives the presumably obligated party room to wiggle, or just do nothing.

bbens@hotmail.com

TDI
2015 golf SW TDI
@lightflyer Yes the "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer" wording is unambiguous and bizarrely one-sided in our favor. That phrase probably made VW executives and attorneys hang their heads, and could only be the result of a court mandate.

The silver lining of my experience with this oil-service-gone-wrong is that I now realize I basically don't need to worry about sh*t on this car for as long as I will own it.

@gofaster thanks for the clarification; "against manufacturing defects" seems more industry-standard and slightly less threatening :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Still a lot of things not covered, like the transmission. I have GEICO MBI for those other things. My new left over 2015 Beetle should be worry free for quite some time, if I do my part.