www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 18th, 2010, 20:35   #1
numl0ck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40
Default CarStyle4You Switch Installation

UPDATE: The installation is complete and is documented below.

After working at it for 5 hours, a few pizzas and beers later, the switch is not installed, nor working and here's what happened:

When it arrived in the mail, all looked good. The switch mechanism is an actual VW part, and it looks like they manufacture a custom top with the requested logo. The red light looks good, and matches nicely. That's where the fun stops.

Here is a picture of the button:

The pigtail is meant to plug in to the ESP switch, and then you plug the white part that is plugged into the ESP switch into the male prongs you can see in the photo. The purpose of this is to illuminate the red LED when you turn the lights on. The wires that are stripped back were soldered to the circuit board of the garage door opener in a way to act as the button, so the garage door opens when pushed.

Now jump ahead 3 hours. I tapped into the fuse box using an "Add-a-circuit" found at your local auto-parts store.

The garage door opener is powered by a 12v battery but it can only handle ~1.5amps, and after putting everything together for a test and we start to see smoke from the garage door opener. I quickly unplugged the "Add-a-circuit" and we evaluate the situation. We put the battery back into the remote and it still worked. Ok, maybe there was no major damage done. We just won't power it from the car battery until we can install resistors. I'll leave the battery in the remote for now.

Jump 2 hours, and food and beer. We're going to assemble everything just so I can use the new button in the car, and we'll worry about a permanent power source later. After putting it all together, this is what we found: After installing the pigtail into the ESP button, and then the plug/power for the ESP button, and lowering the tray in place, the bottom of the ESP button hits the air duct for the rear seats, and there's no way around it.

That's a good 1/2" gap before the two pieces are able to be screwed back in. And you can see how by extending the ESP button assembly (as per instructions) it hits the air duct.

The only solution I see is to move the ESP button over one spot, but that would require a new square cover (not one with rounded edges). And the garage button won't work, because it has 4 square corners, and two of them need to be rounded (we tried that, it doesn't fit).

So now, I'm back to square one. ESP button installed, and 4 blanks. The garage button is sitting in my center console and I'm stuck using my garage remote. Oh and to top it all off, we did burn something in the remote that was smoking. Apparently, once it cooled off we put a battery back in it, and tried to make it work, but nothing.

I need to figure out a way to illuminate the red LED without using power from the ESP button. I have photos of every step of the installation, but they are kinda pointless because it didn't work.

When I figure out a solution, I will gladly post it. Suggestions?

Last edited by numl0ck; September 9th, 2010 at 09:36.
numl0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 22:24   #2
TR10
Veteran Member

which of their covers did you end up choosing ? I wish they offered a "make your own" option. I've been trying to find a "Funk" button to fit in that position forever.

Last edited by TR10; June 18th, 2010 at 22:39.
TR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:01   #3
numl0ck
Veteran Member

I choose the garage door with the up-down arrows (not the Garage Open) one.

This is the kind of thing that my brain just churns on, trying to figure out a solution forever. As a matter of fact, my fiancee had to tell me last night "It's 1am, go to sleep and worry about it in the morning."
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:41   #4
maloosheck
Veteran Member

These are available from VW:

maloosheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:02   #5
ToeBall
Veteran Member

Why not just modify a set of blade connectors? The only other thing I could think of would involve notching the duct and re sealing it with duct tape. Not exactly the best approach.

2010 VW JSW TDI "Barley", 6-speed manual, Blue Graphite - 255/40's on 18x8's, Sigma6, B&M Shifter, Malone Stage 2, Koni coilovers w/H&R springs, 28mm front/27mm rear swaybars, GTD Grill, 900W stereo, PDE downpipe, Banks exhaust, APR intake, Votex kit.
ToeBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:52   #6
Slo.Mo.Shun
Veteran Member

That sucks.

Can you shave the back of the connector ?

When my air ride was installed, we had to ditch that A/C duct. Fortunately, that made my front vents powerful enough to keep the whole wagon cold.
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:06   #7
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member

Can't you grab power for the led elsewhere or without using the pigtail adapter? If I understand you correctly, it's the black connecter at the end of the pigtail on the new switch that is now making your ESP off switch to tall, right? Did they supply a wiring diagram for the switch? Do you know for certain that all the pigtail does is provide power to the switch led? If so I think you just need to splice into a wire that will provide that the power source without using the pigtail. Might need a service manual to find the right wire on the car, but I would think that it is coming in with the wire that plug in the ESP off switch.
CW|6MT|Pano|NAV|9W7|18" Silver Goals|Koni Coilovers|H&R spacers 10/12mm|OEM Xenons|OEM Fogs|Golf R Steering wheel|Golfball Shift Knob|Sport Pedals|GTI Grille|OEM Homelink Visor|OEM Aspherical Mirrors|Seat Drawers|Dash Cubby|Euro Cup Holder|Dieselgeek Sigma 6|BSH rear sway bar|Color-matched markers/reflectors|JL Audio Stealthbox
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 17:33   #8
Luv My 02 TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/44

What type of garage door opener do you have that uses a 12v battery?? You sure it's not a 9v?

Oh I see some use a 23A

Last edited by Luv My 02 TDI; June 21st, 2010 at 17:39.
Luv My 02 TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 22:29   #9
sjjaskow
Veteran Member

These should be similar to what vw offers as the real functional buttons to the euro buyers. If we could con one into cracking his console so we sould get a peek at how all 5 are wired...maybe ask this over at vortex?
Mine since 5 June 2010
sjjaskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:52   #10
numl0ck
Veteran Member

My apologies for not posting any updates. I have been slammed busy with "life" so I haven't had a chance to dig into it again.

Rick, I plan on tapping power from the ESP button, but I need to know which wires to use. Does anyone have a Bentley and could possibly point me in the right direction? I could also use a multi-meter and turn the lights on and see which pins are active.

Luv_My_TDI, my door opener uses an A23 battery, so no worries about the 12 volts there. But it's most likely only a 1.5 amp circuit, and when we tapped hooked in a 5amp fuse, it blew pretty quickly. Need to figure that one out.

sjjaskow, That's a good idea. I have been wondering about how VW adds the additional buttons for the Euro guys. They might run seperate wires for each switch, rather than daisy chaining them together like I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the sugestions, I wil post more info when I get back to work on it (although, looks like Saturday night at the earliest).
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:33   #11
ToeBall
Veteran Member

If nobody gets it done before I get home, I'll check my Bently for you...

2010 VW JSW TDI "Barley", 6-speed manual, Blue Graphite - 255/40's on 18x8's, Sigma6, B&M Shifter, Malone Stage 2, Koni coilovers w/H&R springs, 28mm front/27mm rear swaybars, GTD Grill, 900W stereo, PDE downpipe, Banks exhaust, APR intake, Votex kit.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:00   #12
numl0ck
Veteran Member

Thanks ToeBall. I'm trying not to purchase the Bently for the A5 platform cars and waiting until they release the A6 one. But it's time like this that make me wish I had it. The user's manual is completly usless.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 18:30   #13
ToeBall
Veteran Member

It looks like green's your wire.

violet/blue, black/blue, violet/green are all wired to the actual switch,
green and brown are wired to the diode, with brown running to ground connection 7 in the main harness.

Hope that helps.

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:07   #14
numl0ck
Veteran Member

Yes, it sure does. Thanks again!
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:36   #15
spyTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 average, so far.

Can you post a pic of the finished product? Will the button illuminate?
2010 JSW TDI, Salsa Red, 6 Spd
H&R Rear sway, DG Short Shifter
spyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote