clutch release lever

mos1975

TDI
mk3 golf
ive changed my clutch release lever and now the clutch is slipping so badly the car doesnt move does anyone have a clue what has gone wrong

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Glazed disc? Broken fingers on pressure plate? Toasted throwout bearing?
Toofed reinstall?

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Mos1975,
Clutch release lever, thats the lever that pushes the clutch bearing against the diaphragm spring, correct?
Assuming correct parts, installation, no other surprises, no previous release system modifications from a previous repair and no contamination of the clutch during the replacement of the release lever, one idea to double check. Can you compress the slave cylinder with your hand while it is still installed?
The hydraulic system is at zero pressure when your foot is not on the clutch pedal. You should be able to compress the slave cylinder and this merely pushes the fluid back into the system and into the reservoir. If you cannot compress the slave cylinder, then it is as if your foot is on the clutch pedal while driving. How it might happen, not sure but it is fairly easy to check, transaxle stays in for this evaluation.
I'll admit, a bit of a long shot, but worth checking.
Good luck,
Gary

mos1975

TDI
mk3 golf
solved

i never reset the clutch cable before putting back together, managed to fix it now. thanks for solutions posted.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, those auto-adjust cables are a bear. Don't be surprised if it pops out of wack again in the near future...they seem to only like to be installed once.

After fighting with them for a while many people just replace 'em with a manual adjust cable. BTDT. :)