jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I used microsoft visio. I'm sure it could have been drawn a lot better im sure but I'm sure it would have taken a lot more time. Your set up is similar to mine, I want to use a MK3 jetta TDI cluster though. Im jonsing, i did all of this drawing in order to pass time so I can get more money for the first part of the build, now that I finished the schematic, and still dont have the money, my hands are tied. Thank you for finding out about that possible pigtailed wire. If you have any advice on building these up dont hesitate to share.

Justin

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
I did a bunch of digging last night. Seems I have several flavors of exterior harnesses, but the only interior side I have is from a MKIV 2.0 gasser (2002 I believe). However, there are many instances in that harness (and in the engine-side harnesses) whereby there are more than one wire going into each plug, and some wires that go off into taped-up dead ends (from the factory). I unfortunately don't have a NB inside bit.

I have an earlier and later MKIV Jetta TDI engine side harness and some of the plugs aren't the same colors. The T6 on one of my harnesses is red, not brown.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I didnt use any interior wiring harness diagrams when i made my schematic.

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
Sorry for being unclear. I meant the "receiver" side of the 6 and 10-pin connectors. The parts that run into the cabin to the fusebox/relays/etc from the connection in the rain tray.

BTW, I plotted your diagrams out. Waaaaay easier to read like that. Seeing as I had slightly different wires on my plugs, I went through much the same exercise as you did on the harness I have and marked up the diagram. Are you working from an existing harness that you have? If you've got a harness (the interior engine part, as I mentioned above), I've got a few questions for you.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont have any wires at all whatsoever. Im buying a NB harness and ecu from Dave. As you know Im on the hunt for a diesel golf.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
But ask away anyway

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey everyone! Little update. Bought myself a car! 86 golf diesel 4 door westy. It's in immaculate condition. Flew out to Oklahoma City and drove it back to Tempe AZ, that two days could definitely be produced in a Top Gear episode. I am so excited to be back in a VW.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Very small update, nothing motor related sad to say, I did however get a new suspension, Neuspeed 1.5" lowering springs and kyb gr-2 shocks. Needless to say it rides much better. I think I'm finally going to treat myself a little bit and finally get the block bored out. My plan is to get the car slowly ready for the swap, as you all may know I made a wiring diagram, i just need to get all of the wiring and get on it. Hopefully my hookah business will pick up shortly and Ill be able to make some money (www.facebook.com/HaxsHookahs if anyone is interested, winkie face). Here is a picture.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey everyone, still alive. Keeping very busy with school, NASA space grant, possible JPL summer internship and such. I have not at all been able to work on the engine at all. Ohh such is life i guess, I guess ill just have to wait for my next tax return. I really want to get this started. First thing is first, send the engine out to get it bored to fit the pistons.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright! A year later and progress is progressing. Sent the block to get honed and the crank to get polished. Well the crank came back today and I must say I am impressed, the engine spun a couple bearings.
Before:

After:

Thanks to the guys at Competition Engineering

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the block back, here are some pictures of this bored and decked block goodness.

Next, ill do a mock up and check piston protrusion.

Last edited:

EvilBunny

TDI
85 jetta n/a DEZ(RIP) 03 Golf TDi(RIP), 02 Tdi5spd(RIP), 1984 GLi 20vBT, 85 westy golf(ALH BTswap), 06 M3(RIP), 2013 335is, 2010 690 duke(rip)
any update?

did you convert to ce2 first or just wire it into the westy?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah! Sorry, I am really just taking it slow and doing it right. I graduated from college last December, moved back to CO and got a great career helping design and test the telemetry software for the JWST. I just did a CE2 swap in the ol' girl a few weeks ago. Took a couple weeks to work out the bugs but she runs great now. Much cooler than before. I made a chart for the conversion. I had to swap one wire because my instrument cluster was acting wired...

Instrument Cluster
-this can come from any CE2 Mk2, but be aware that the 1989 models and 1990-1992 models are different. The 89s are built like CE1 clusters, and use a separate relay for coolant level while the 90-92 has that built in. The 90-92 needs the 90-92 cluster harness, the 89 can use any 89-92 harness. Also, the coolant level wire on the engine harness will need to be in a different spot for 89 vs. 90-92 (C/6 for 89, C/8 for 90+), in addition to the position 5 "43" relay for 89 clusters. You can tell the difference in clusters by the coolant light. 89s have it in the gauge, 90-92 has it in the LED strip.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5430894-CE2-Swap-DIY-(harness-sources-basic-components)

I relayed my headlight harness, converted to mk3 headlight wiring with the barrel connector and ran them through the inner fender wall for a semi shaved look, swapped in cherokee hella headlight buckets and am rocking yellow H4 bulbs. Ill hide everything else once I swap the TDI in. Ripped out my A/C since I live in CO now and not AZ and found a sicrocco radiator and threw on a 12" pusher fan.

Got the block on a stand, just waiting for Matt Whitbread to ship me the girdle. After I get that, I can start and finish the bottom end.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

FINALLY! PROGRESS!!! Got the block girdle courtesy of Mr. Whitbread. Time to get this bottom end finished. More updates to come.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I pulled out the rod bearings I bought a couple years ago and got around to looking at the label on the box. Looks like I got the wrong ones, the box says they are for an AHU/1Z motor. Looks like im going to need to get new ones. My question is, for my power goals what brand of bearings should I get? I have the IE H-Beam rods. Turns out I completely forgot about the main caps too so Ill have to get those machined as well, most likely the block (main cap part) as well. Any suggestions?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think there was a thread on here that was talking about sputter bearings, something you should look into for your build. Seems to me they were on the AFN engine maybe but I have done so much reading that I can't recall exactly.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
They look nice. Does anyone offer them on this side of the pond yet?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
final bearings came in today, just waiting on the F&RMSs and I can finally get this block assembled. I have a couple of questions beforehand. I have a close up of the original main caps, I am almost positive they can be re-used, there is no gouging on the inner part where the main bearing sits. Would you recommend I throw them in the way they are or do you all think they need some 1000 grit wet/dry paper? I used WD40 just before I took the photo. What are your opinions? Also I have heard to use diesel motor oil in place of engine lube when assembling the bottom end. What is the consensus regarding lube?

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
You decided on which turbo you going with? and why?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
2260, biggest streetable turbo I can get, I know size doesnt matter, but im building my internals to hold the torque and power so no point in really buying a 17/22 only to upgrade it later.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Gotcha, should be pretty fast. Very envious I am. mine looks similar. I should of sent the golden nugget out to Golden.
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
As far as the main caps go. They shouldn't just be thrown in. To really check them and make sure they're good to go they need to be installed and torqued properly, checked for size and any out of round with a Dial Bore Gauge. I am surprised that your machine shop didn't check this already, this is something that should be checked on any rebuild. The main tunnel should be checked for straightness (precision straight edge and .001" and feeler gauge) and all main bearing bores need to be checked for size and roundness, any faults found should be corrected by grinding the main cap mating surfaces a few thousandths and then line hone the main tunnel to true it up and resize all the bores. You've gone to the expense of all the good parts, don't scrimp on the foundation.

That is my $.02
Jaysin

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
sccaddy, exact same car as mine, I want your bumper, it looks better than mine, chrome strip wise.

jaysin, you are very correct, I am planning on taking the block down to a local diesel shop to get the main caps grinded. Unfortunately they dont have a line hone at that shop (seems pretty stupid). I was told that any main cap discoloration will likely need a line hone or grind.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Block was dropped off at the shop today to get align grinded. It is scheduled to be done at the end of January. Until then, clutch on the 1.6,

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Re-clutching in progress. That transaxle is a PITA to remove. Hopefully getting it back in will be easier.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
While the engine is at the shop i decided to buy another car. German whore #2 for the stable.
[i

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got the block back all ready to receive innards. Weekend work! I just want to confirm this but Im going to list off all places plastigauge should be placed. If I'm wrong let me know.

1) In between block and top of bearing that's above the crank.
2) In between the bottom of the top bearing and the crank
3) In between the crank and the bottom bearing that goes into the main cap
4) In between the bottom main cap bearing and the main cap

Whitbread should I worry about clearances now or after I get the block girdle spacers grinded so the clearances can be checked while the girdle is on the block?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a couple of questions for those of you who have done a similar setup. Should I take a bit off of the piston valve pockets prior to putting them in the block the first time to measure protrusion? I am looking at a stage 2 cam. Also, do I NEED an ARP ring compressor or can I just rent one from the auto parts store? If I do need an ARP, based on what I have read it looks like I need an 81mm compressor, is this correct? Also, are there any surfaces that I should not lubricate? Mainly the surfaces that dont constantly see oil (between the lower rod cap/rod surface and it's journal bearing)?

Justin

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Pistons and rods assembled.

Upon closer inspection of the block after it got back from the shop i found this little guy. Can I get away with this or will I have to re-hone this cylinder?

Pre Block girdle on.

Here are my measurements, Looks like all bearing surfaces are good.

I couldnt get number 3 in because I broke the bottom ring. Does anyone know where I can obtain a new ring set for ASV pistons this side of the pond? 79.5 + .5mm

Here is number 4

Also, I am unsure why but piston 2 does not protrude from the block at all. Any Ideas why? The crank is torqued to spec, however, the spacers for the girdle have not been ground down.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Lol, so you broke a ring like I did. Good luck, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm not sure what's going on with that other piston, though I don't have a girdle on my 1Z.