upgraded OEM intake snorkle

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
tongsli,

Nice pics! That's what I wanted to see, the front of the shroud!

Does anyone have the 'front' photo comparison (side by side) of the shrouds before install?

And I'm interested in the bumper removal as well! Need to or not?

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
It's tight. I have to agree with Justin on this one. The battery cover has to be pushed between the lower battery cover and the snorkle.

If you look at Delvi's pic BELOW, there is NO room between the snorkle and the side of the lower battery cover. You can see that they touch. Mine is like that as well.

The battery cover doesn't latch normally because it's squashed in there. But if that doesn't bother you, then you don't have to trim anything.

Clearly, the TDI is going to be the hardest vehicle to fit this thing.

On a pre 2002, the older batter box cover design is different. I don't think there is as much interference with the older style cover.

If one were to elongate the battery tray holes, then you could steal 1/4 of an inch towards the engine which would help. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I think I may try modifying the battery tray holes.

The other option is to remove the washers of the 4 bolts for the battery tray, and drill new holes next to the original holes. This would move the tray over a bit as well.

Delvi, does your battery cover fit like normal? Or is it mis-aligned because everything is tight?

Still, a good mod.

Last edited:

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
tongsli said:
It's tight. I have to agree with Justin on this one. The battery cover has to be pushed between the lower battery cover and the snorkle.

If you look at Delvi's pic BELOW, there is NO room between the snorkle and the side of the lower battery cover. You can see that they touch. Mine is like that as well.

The battery cover doesn't latch normally because it's squashed in there. But if that doesn't bother you, then you don't have to trim anything.

Clearly, the TDI is going to be the hardest vehicle to fit this thing.

On a pre 2002, the older batter box cover design is different. I don't think there is as much interference with the older style cover.

If one were to elongate the battery tray holes, then you could steal 1/4 of an inch towards the engine which would help. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I think I may try modifying the battery tray holes.

The other option is to remove the washers of the 4 bolts for the battery tray, and drill new holes next to the original holes. This would move the tray over a bit as well.

Delvi, does your battery cover fit like normal? Or is it mis-aligned because everything is tight?
Still, a good mod.
is tight but is not mis-aligned.:)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Original Shroud on top of the new shroud

Existing Snorkle

New R32 Snorkle

If you look at the bottom of the battery tray, where you put the (4) 6mm bolts, there are additional holes next to the existing ones. The driver's side hole I just reamed out. The passenger's side I drilled two new holes.

You can re-use the OEM bolts where you have room for the washer and you can use two new 6mm bolts without washers on the other side.

With this mod, the box shifts about 10mm and is enough to put the battery cover on with no problem. And, more important, the two 6mm bolts used to hold the airbox (top and bottom)still fit.
Make this modification to the battery try if you don't have the room

Rivet location for shroud around headlight(bolt to the left of the headlight in the recess area)

Rivet location2 for shroud around headlight I had a hard time because my Standheizung tubes run in front of and behind the darn rivet location.

Headlight View

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Lito, thanks for the backup! I do feel that this is a beneficial mod. I've always liked the oem box, but felt the snorkle was limiting.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
sweet! :cool:. Like I said, I was just asking about the original opening in the grill, that's all. Tongsli, I'll introduce myself and check it out at ImpexFest!

Last edited:

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Can the bottom of the oe TDI air filter box be cut to fit the R32DSG snorkel, or do I need to buy an airbox bottom?..& top?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
silverbox said:
Can the bottom of the oe TDI air filter box be cut to fit the R32DSG snorkel, or do I need to buy an airbox bottom?..& top?
This has been covered, twice I think, earlier in the thread. The answer is yes. Please read the whole thing. There is a link to a german site showing the trimming to fit.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Instead of trimming the battery box cover, All I did was use two holes already in the battery tray, and drill two new ones.

If you look at the bottom of the battery tray, where you put the (4) 6mm bolts, there are additional holes next to the existing ones. The driver's side hole I just reamed out. The passenger's side I drilled two new holes.

You can re-use the OEM bolts where you have room for the washer and you can use two new 6mm bolts without washers on the other side.

With this mod, the box shifts about 10mm and is enough to put the battery cover on with no problem. And, more important, the two 6mm bolts used to hold the airbox (top and bottom)still fit.

Lito

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
Lito,

Did you have to remove just the bumper cover, or the entire bumper? With the battery removed it looks like the entire job can be done from inside the engine compartment.

(I asked this question elsewhere in this thread but nobody has responded...)

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
dkuster said:
Lito,

Did you have to remove just the bumper cover, or the entire bumper? With the battery removed it looks like the entire job can be done from inside the engine compartment.

(I asked this question elsewhere in this thread but nobody has responded...)
just the bumper cover/plastic/rubber part, no need to take the heavy metal piece off.

I don't think you can do the job without taking the bumper off.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
The bumper cover and headlight must be removed to access everything easily.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is near impossible to access Rivet location #2 without removing the bumper cover. I guess if you have a lift it might be possible to get to it, but I doubt it. And, Rivet location #1 is also behind the bumper next to the headlight.

The photo I took is directly from the side without the bumper cover installed.

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Plus its so easy to take the bumper off in the first place, you'd be foolish to try it any other way.

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
OK, today I finally got around to installing this on my '03 Golf.

I ran into two issues, and I'm hoping somebody can help.

First, I managed to break one of the three crazy two-piece rivets before I figured out how they work. Can someone with ETKA look up the part numbers for me, please? There's an outer rivet piece and a cylindrical plug that gets pushed into the center.

Second, I saw no one else mention this problem, and it's making me wonder. I was able to get everything installed, and it looks correct to me, but for whatever reason the single mounting point for the snorkel piece did not line up with the threaded stud (!?). Both ends of the snorkel are connected (one end to the airbox and the other to the intake piece next to the headlight).

The hole in the tab on the snorkel is resting against the sheetmetal about an inch from the threaded stud, towards the front of the car.

Did I do something wrong??? :confused:

Thanks for the help.

-dan

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
Occams_Razor said:
038 550 1

Rivet A8x11
Thanks for the reply on the rivet!

I plugged that number into the search box at worldimpex and it came up as an out of stock, special European order part with a price of $7.63.

That can't be right, can it?? It's 2 cents worth of plastic smaller than the nail on my pinkie finger :confused:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
dkuster said:
Thanks for the reply on the rivet!

I plugged that number into the search box at worldimpex and it came up as an out of stock, special European order part with a price of $7.63.

That can't be right, can it?? It's 2 cents worth of plastic smaller than the nail on my pinkie finger :confused:
Try this: N-038-550-1

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
dkuster said:
Hah! 49 cents. Thank you kindly, 'razor :)
Not sure why the other number, (without the "N"), is listed as euro only but it looks like it is matched to the wrong part number, (I SO appreciate that John has added the VW part numbers back to refer to when looking up parts!) :D

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
dkuster said:
OK, today I finally got around to installing this on my '03 Golf.

I ran into two issues, and I'm hoping somebody can help.

First, I managed to break one of the three crazy two-piece rivets before I figured out how they work. Can someone with ETKA look up the part numbers for me, please? There's an outer rivet piece and a cylindrical plug that gets pushed into the center.

Second, I saw no one else mention this problem, and it's making me wonder. I was able to get everything installed, and it looks correct to me, but for whatever reason the single mounting point for the snorkel piece did not line up with the threaded stud (!?). Both ends of the snorkel are connected (one end to the airbox and the other to the intake piece next to the headlight).

The hole in the tab on the snorkel is resting against the sheetmetal about an inch from the threaded stud, towards the front of the car.

Did I do something wrong??? :confused:

Thanks for the help.

-dan
Oh, and I should mention that I did not have to modify and/or trim my battery box. Although given my problem with the snorkel alignment maybe I shouldn't be bragging! :D

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
It is best to line up the snorkel to its mounting bolt first. The snorkel does not sit totally flush up against the headlight duct - the rubber boot on the end takes up the air gap.

I managed to get the new ducts in without taking off the bumper or removing the headlight at all. I just had to unscrew the undertray on that side and reach up from underneath to get the bottom rivet out with a drift - not sure if the intercooler would be in the way on a diesel though - I have an R32!

See my install thread here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2772457

I'm the one who ran some tests on the airflow gains as well...and it does show a small but measureable gain in airflow over stock...plus it sounds a little deeper.:cool:

By the way, the larger bulging piece that slides down behind the headlight is actually the piece that is supposed to be used if you have Xenons to give more clearance/airflow behind them.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
so you mean you dont need the piece that goes behind the headlight:
1J0 805 965 E B41

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
I didn't, because it came from the factory with my Xenons!;)

It fits in the same as your original part however, so if you don't want to change it, you could use your old flatter one. The new part is also very close to the battery box when fitted as well

It will allow quite a bit more airflow through that part of the ducting however, which is the idea of this mod....and its quite cheap to buy anyway.

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
Thanks, I'll have another go at it. I was looking at the stock headlight pieces that I removed and did notice that it looks like the snorkel does not need to be slid on all the way to make an airtight seal.

It's amazing you were able to do this mod without removing the bumper cover or headlight!

graeme86 said:
It is best to line up the snorkel to its mounting bolt first. The snorkel does not sit totally flush up against the headlight duct - the rubber boot on the end takes up the air gap.

I managed to get the new ducts in without taking off the bumper or removing the headlight at all. I just had to unscrew the undertray on that side and reach up from underneath to get the bottom rivet out with a drift - not sure if the intercooler would be in the way on a diesel though - I have an R32!

See my install thread here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2772457

I'm the one who ran some tests on the airflow gains as well...and it does show a small but measureable gain in airflow over stock...plus it sounds a little deeper.:cool:

By the way, the larger bulging piece that slides down behind the headlight is actually the piece that is supposed to be used if you have Xenons to give more clearance/airflow behind them.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
I just did this mod over the weekend. I used the new air box bottom with my old top, the new snorkel, and the two new pieces that go up by the headlight. I removed the bumper, the left headlight, and the battery / battery box. I don't see how you can save yourself any trouble by cutting corners on this one; all of these things come off / out easily, anyway.

I kept the battery box in the stock location, and trimmed a cutout through part of the side so that the snorkel could go through it. When finished you can't tell that the snorkel is buried in there unless you know exactly what you're looking for and at.

1st. view of the battery box

2nd. view of the battery box

Snorkel in place

Snorkel and battery box in place

Finished view with snorkel tucked thru side of battery box -- hard to tell it's there.

Al