Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Hmm, they're running a slower pace (about ten seconds slower). Wouldn't be surprised if they switched to a lower power map to try to save the engine.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What a disaster. A very disappointing showing, Mazda...

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Race updates say they are all sucking wind. Really sad. I really don't expect any of them to finish, but I will say I've never seen a car go out and come back in to run time and time again like the 00 has.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Might be damage control, but they are saying it was a 25 cent fuel line nut/fitting problem...On all three!

Perhaps Mazda should have spied on VW's Skunk Works Fuel Line Vibration Isolators program.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Because a fuel line fitting problem would cause damage significant enough to take out cylinders in engines.

Somehow I have trouble believing that.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I hope Mazda fleshes this out and it trickles down to the consumer 6, as it should since it's what this race is partly about. I really like the new 6. A lot.

Subscribed, for along time.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Maybe they put gas in the cars. Get out the styrofoam cups. :p

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
The 6's exterior to me looks a lot like my '10 Volvo S80, but with the diesel. Provided they can resolve their bugs and any inherent CR & "clean diesel" issues, I will seriously consider if my 850 bites the dust. Just the fact that the Mazda can be mated with a basic auto trans is a relief to me considering my DSG experience. I will be watching.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Of course, if it were really a fuel system issue, that wouldn't have any commonality with the production car.

Why?

Because the race car is using a Bosch race system, apparently - which means it probably has a CP4, funnily enough.

Oh, and #00 blew out a rear engine seal (I'm guessing that means the rear main, because everything else could probably be fixed easily enough), so it's out, too.

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
Sad to see the troubles in Daytona. Outings like this will certainly not encourage VW to field the TDI in non-spec series as much as I'd like to see otherwise.
NASCAR has moved on slightly, but I still think the Passat would translate to a convincing stock car body.

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
Different strokes for different volks they say. I grew up on NASCAR and the air-cooled VW was quite popular in the same circles decades after they stopped production. It would give VW some exposure to a segment of the population that, in my experience, is currently driving very few FWD VWs. It could help the marketing machine to be #1 in the world. I do wonder if it would have a negative impact on the population of current VW owners that cherish VW for being different. But that's another topic and the Americanization of the Jetta and Passat probably say all that's needed for corporate's view.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Different strokes for different volks they say. I grew up on NASCAR and the air-cooled VW was quite popular in the same circles decades after they stopped production. It would give VW some exposure to a segment of the population that, in my experience, is currently driving very few FWD VWs. It could help the marketing machine to be #1 in the world.

Totally agree. Living here in the NASCAR capitol, it would help get more public awareness of the diesel engine. Unless VW runs into the same issues as Mazda this weekend.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Totally agree. Living here in the NASCAR capitol, it would help get more public awareness of the diesel engine. Unless VW runs into the same issues as Mazda this weekend.
NASCAR is allowing diesels now? Or would they just put a TDI badge on a carbuerated V8? ;)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
They've actually switched to TBI, and TBI only has one letter different than TDI. :D

(Of course, in Volkswagen-speak, that's "Monomotronic".)

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Here's a picture I took of the motor up close in Daytona this weekend.

They were super quiet and slow unfortunately but hopefully they will get faster and more refined. I talked to the Mazda rep about the fuel pump and of course he couldn't offer anymore detail on the particular pump. The race motor doesn't tell you much either.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

That came up when I did a Google image search for "exploded mazda engine" ;)