VW Winter Front Now Available for A4's!!

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
grelli said:
So at -27 outside, not including wind chill, how well did these treat you spicy_red?

I live on the north side of the saint, and I didn't have full, needle straight up heat, until I turned on to gretzky from the yellowhead.
Unfortunately didn't drive the car today. Wife made short commute to Mayfield area, then plugged it in (both coolant and oil).... Will get her to check on her way back home.

UPDATE: She drove from 107th ave to WEM and car got up to 70*C. Was plugged in but they cycle the plugs at her work.

Last edited:

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Since it's been warm the last couple days I took it off.

DD, I realized that after I posted question :oops:

Normando

TDI
Spice Red Jetta Wagon GLS TDI TIPTRONIC
The cheapest cover yet

5 min on the old sewing machine :)

I cut three of these out of an old winter windshield cover. I am covering the area behind the VW symbol with material as well. The car heats up almost twice as fast and only up to the normal temp level (even if I am on a 150 mile straight trip it does not heat up any more than it would without the cover on).

The cover is all one piece, I cut a small piece off the edge of the material and stiched a border around the VW symbol just in case the material stretched.

Note there is a little air flow between the hood and the bra and a little between the bra and the plate. All four openings(vents) below the plate are left alone, you can cover these with plumbing tubing (gray or black cover for hot water lines) but I almost over heated when I did this. I am leaving the cover on until Mid March, Ottawa Canada. It snows in April up here.

That is how I solved my lack of heat issue. The cover was about 15$ at Canadian Tire (Like Pep Boys), I think the road salt is going to chew it up so I made 3 covers. They should keep me going for a decade.

Last edited:

Normando

TDI
Spice Red Jetta Wagon GLS TDI TIPTRONIC
TeleDawg said:
Has anyone put one of these on an A4 Golf?

I'd like to have one up here in the frozen north.

T.D.
Yes I have seen a few on Golfs.

There are lots of VW's In my province Eastern Ontario and I have seen many custom made bra's on VW's over the years.

I would use some Plumbing hot water pipe cover on the bottom grills (below the Plate) if it is relly cold up there. If you ever have to put them off it only take a second. They don't need tape just jam them in, and watch the temp gauge every now and then.

TeleDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Reflex Silver
Normando said:
Yes I have seen a few on Golfs.
Anyone got pics of an install on an A4 Golf?

This thread has lots of Jetta pics but I've yet to see a pic of the grill cover on a Golf.

Anyone?

T.D.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Ok. Results conclusive. I punched 1/4" holes 1/2" apart in two alternating rows starting about 1/2" from the edge. Test run to work this morning was very positive. Runs up to 100mph at WOT did not affect engine breathing. Remember that I am running a little more bost as the car has an RC2. Engine warm up times could not be tested as it was 51 degrees here in MA:eek:

skgwilliams

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, auto, 144,000 mi, black
I picked one of these up last week for my Jetta. A little late in the season, but I got it as add on to a small order I needed from impex, to defray shipping on a few replacement grommets I needed for the engine cover.

I did notice faster warm up, so that's good. I probably won't be getting much use out if it this season now that it is warming in Massachusetts, but it we have had a couple chilly mornings this past week.

Oh and I have nothing but good things to say about Impex on my 1st order with them. Got it fast. And they even called me before shipping the order to be sure I knew that this was a grill cover and not a front grill. :D

Great customer service! Thanks for the tip on this grill cover.

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
Another "bonus" to covering the grille in the winter is to keep the sparay of (salt/calcium/uride... whatever they use to melt the snow) from getting on the radiator.

Over the course of time, the radiator fins can disenagrate into dust from this chemical-soup of fine spray off of the tires of the cars in front of you. I know this because I had to replace a few radiators before I realized what was happening to the fins on them.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Was there a conclusive decision that these covers needed some small holes on the CAI side to enable the car the breath a little easier? If so, does this defeat the winter cover? Which side would the hols go on- driver or passenger? Thanks!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
And yes, it will slightly defeat the original purpose, as now the engine will be breathing cooler air again: better for performance but worse for economy and fast heat up.

All in all, a cheap, great way to shorten warm up times dramatically.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
On an additional note, I got mine today for the Golf. I'd be very interested to see it installed on the Golf, not only is it not wide enough, it is too tall and there at least 2" of excess fabric.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
beagord said:
anyone know if these will fit an 06 tdi jetta? or is there another option?
Nope. And although I will probably get one, I really don't think it's required. That's what a thermostat is for.;)

beagord

TDI
1.9t
ok im not sure about your answer does your nope mean no it wont fit or no you have no idea? gets -30 -40 here sometimes in winter so i wana do something.
al

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry, but it won't fit the A5 jetta: grille is a different shape. I've seen the bra for that car and it seems it would be pretty easy to block off the grille with the bra in place.

redcliffs

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS
Any feeling as to whether it will help liable-to-freeze-accessories (aka the ProVent) from freezing up? I'm on the borderline temp-wise in terms of needing one, but that would be an added bonus for me...

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Okay, got to bring this back up about the winter fronts. Think I can find the cai holes and punch a couple holes in the right place. But what about the air for the intercooler, lower grill pax side? Or doesn't that have to be cooled during the winter?

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
david_594 said:
The cover doesnt cover the grill in front of the intercooler.
Doesn't the bottom cover where the Hella DEs would normally be placed? I thought this is why Hella did not recommend the DEs for the TDI.